The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Wild Horse Wild Ride" Documentary

I will be keeping an eye out for this documentary about an annual Mustang Makeover, where 100 people try to tame 100 mustangs in 100 days. The mustangs are then put up for adoption.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/08/24...?ref=arts&_r=0

That movie sounds great. Thanks for the info.

There is a horseman in Texas, Dan Keen, who got reserve in 2008. Here is his website with a link to his ride there. He still has, and loves, his horse Troubador that he rode in it.

http://www.dankeenhorsemanship.com/

He is the BEST with young or problem horses. I sent a horse to him for two months, and it came back with impeccable manners. I have watched him work and he is very calm soft and assuring to the horses. He calls his riding "Wenglish" and when my horse got back, it was as ready for the hunter shows (or better) as it would have been with some high dollar Big Name Hunter Trainer.

Just explaining this to say that those guys are not "Extremists" -- the one I know is a fabulous horseman.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Now I know I'd love to see this...hope it comes to Canada, or at least on CD.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I am planning on seeing this when it plays in Boise. It is scheduled to hit the art house theater on October 5 or 6. The trailer looks interesting.
    Sheilah

My Trainer, Matt Sheridan, also participated in the Mustang Makeover in 2008, but in Cailfornia, not the Texas one. He got a nice little "mini-fresian" mare he called Luna. They placed third in the competition and Luna was adopted by a wonderful couple who love her. I found the process fascinating. Boy did Luna LOVE Matt, too! She'd follow him around everywhere. Some photos here and some video here

His Brother, Joel Sheridan, also completed in a number of them, always putting in a great showing.

It's a neat competition with lots of excellent trainers. Movie should be good!

I know a woman around here who has competed for several years with good placings. She has also bought every mustang she trained, she's up to about 7 I think.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    She has also bought every mustang she trained, she's up to about 7 I think.
    I'll bet that could be a problem. Like providing a foster home for dogs or cats that end up staying forever!

Cool! That looks interesting - I'll have to watch for it.

I have a friend who has done the Extreme Mustang Makeover in Albany, OR the last three years, and has done Mustang Magic in Texas twice. She got Reserve Champion at EMM her first year, and won the Double Down event (training two mustangs at once) at EMM last year. She's an amazing horsewoman - I'm so proud of her.