The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Canadian Commercial Equine Shipper Rear-Ended on I-75 Bartow/Cobb County GA

Photo

Story.....

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/19...-in-i-75-wreck

A chase that started in Bartow County ended in a wreck on Interstate 75 near Wade Green Road in Cobb County on Thursday, say police.

Authorities in Bartow County say they picked up the chase on US Highway 41 in Cartersville. They say the driver of a stolen brown Jeep Cherokee was clocked at speeds of 80 to 90 mph as the car was heading in the direction of Interstate 75.

According to authorities, the SUV traveled down the southbound lanes on Interstate 75, traveling at speeds of 120 mph, before wrecking near Wade Green Road.

The SUV slammed into the rear of a horse trailer, say authorities. All southbound lanes of the interstate are closed.

Authorities with Bartow County say the person is wanted on multiple felony warrants.

It is not known if there are any injuries.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Aug. 23, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Sounds like the police were being just as reckless as the person they were chasing. Here in VA there are STRICT (local and state) rules regarding chases and potential danger to the general public. This is exactly why too... it's pretty much a fact that the guy wouldn't have crashed if they weren't pushing him. Get the tags, description, establish a helicopter in the air, and back off.. wait for him to do something stupid or go somewhere and nail him there.

I'm almost afraid to follow the story for fear of the outcome but hopefully the trailer wasn't full and/or just returning from somewhere (then again they don't make $$ doing that so most likely not).

If you look at the pics, it looks like the trailer is barely damaged. If horses were in there, they should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    If you look at the pics, it looks like the trailer is barely damaged. If horses were in there, they should be ok.
    Yep, startled, I'm sure, but likely okay. There doesn't look like any crumpling on that trailer.

And from a Jeep girl...that's a Grand Cherokee, not a Cherokee. Sheesh, reporting these days!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    And from a Jeep girl...that's a Grand Cherokee, not a Cherokee. Sheesh, reporting these days!
    I said the same thing... that is NOT a Cherokee!
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    I said the same thing... that is NOT a Cherokee!
    I knew the second they said "up to 120mph!" that when I opened the picture, it wasn't going to be a Cherokee.

Update from WSB-TV

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...trailer/nRJPX/

A police chase reached speeds of more than 100 mph across multiple metro Atlanta counties Thursday.

The chase ended when the getaway driver slammed into the rear of a Canadian horse trailer slowing for Interstate 75 traffic as it entered Cobb County, deputies said. They said the suspect was driving a stolen Jeep Cherokee.

The three Canadian race horses were headed for re-training and retirement in central Florida. The trailer was being driven by Michael Smetaniuk, who told Channel 2’s Ross Cavitt he knew nothing about the police chase.

“I just thought we blew a tire so when we jumped out. I saw everybody try to get the guy out of the car,” Smetaniuk said.

Deputies identified the suspect as 34-year-old Thomas Madrie, a wanted man in Bartow County for probation violation and family violence charges.

Deputies said Madrie led them on a 10-minute chase when a deputy spotted him in the stolen car. The chase ended in the right lane of I-75 near the Cherokee-Cobb County line.

Everyone involved, including the horses, is OK.

Whew
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Very stout rig if they didn't feel anything much, just thought a tire blew.

Good that no one is seriously injured.
    Looking at the picture, I would think the driver of the car was toast.

The truck/trailer looks fine. As others have stated, horses probably got a little startled - but, hey, my mare and 4 month old foal were on a commercial transporter when the engine had a catastrophic failure. They were off-loaded/re-loaded on the side of a major highway with a cop leading the mare that was shaking waaayyyy more than the mare or foal .

My beef here - the cops are not at fault. The moron that ran is at fault. For everything - any injuries/deaths/damage etc. I have little patience for people who say "oh they wouldnt have run if they were not chased by the cops". Really??? Why not?? What piece of magic stops that??? I think a lot of these people get off on the adrenaline of speed - and consider cops chasing them as being great motivation.

Says the person who was almost smacked by a joy-riding idiot when I was towing my horse at the legal speed. No cop car involved ... well, not then . There certainly was when he got to the bottom of the hill
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Is it a Sallee van? I know I've seen the horse pullman sign / logo when I've loaded horses and now it's driving me nutz!!
    There was one company here who had one that looked like an airstream house trailer - stainless on the outside, and cedar panelled on the inside - air ride, and absolutely beautiful!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Is it a Sallee van?
    Dee
    Appears to be a PERRY TRANSPORT LIMITED rig.

Quote Originally Posted by HaulnHorses View Post
    Appears to be a PERRY TRANSPORT LIMITED rig.
    Dang, lost the coin toss!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/