The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

@ Five Horses, I'm sorry to hear you've not had an excellent experience. I will bring this to the attention of management, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of the customer service issue.

Re: the change in the formulas, virtually every feed brand out there changes their products from lot to lot for cost optimization. For example, beet pulp prices spike, some will change their fiber source to peanut hulls. The protein/fat/fiber profile remains the same, which is what some brands refer to as their "formula", and how they claim to be "fixed formula".

Pennfield is fixed formula AND fixed ingredients, a true rarity. Regardless of the price of ingredients, the same things in the same proportions go into every single bag of any one formula. This means Pennfield's profit on each bag can fluctuate quite a lot, which in my book beats the heck out of having my horse's feed fluctuate in recipe.

Because of these ethics, Pennfield announced loud and clear that all formulas were going through updating per the latest exercise physiology research. These improvements (increase in certain vitamins, lowering of NSCs almost across the board) were small enough that no "changeover time" in feeding was recommended, and certainly no difference in acceptance *should* have occurred. Pennfield management would be happy to talk with you personally to also get to the bottom of this.

Pennfield arrives at East Coast stores at about 2 days of age. These feeds are fresh, and not preserved and processed to live forever, especially in a hot environment. Consumption within six weeks of milling is considered optimal... but there is also the dealer link in there as well, as in, how long was it on the shelf before going to a summertime feed room?

Anyway, I hope the above clears things up. Please PM me with your contact details if you would like a personal phone call from management.

Sorry to hear CA is losing Pennfield. I've been a customer of Pennfield for years (I think 5 years) and have always had wonderful service. If the customer service people can't help me, they move me up the chain until someone answers my question.

Feed is always fresh, clean bags, delivered to my door, and stacked where I wanted it. Feed is clean, consistent, and I've never had a horse refuse it. The only Pennfield feed that my horses don't inhale, is the All Phase. Thankfully, only a couple of them eat it. They all love Fibergized.

Only once have I had issues, and that was with a driver. I called Pennfield, and requested they not send him to my farm again. I have no idea where the man went, but he has never been on my route again.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Pennfield, nor do I personally know anyone who works at Pennfield.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Thank you lawndart, your support is appreciated. It really is a small, family-owned company, and they're all trying very hard to do the right thing for horses first, and the people who own them a close second.

Progressive nutrition makes some nice feeds. Not sure if they are in your area.

I love Elk Grove - My Arab loves it and she doesn't act like a complete fool afterwards. All the horses I've met love it.

Perhaps it is too late to help, but we switched to this from Fibregized. It is from the same nutritionists (KER) who used to formulate Fibregized, and fills the same niche.
    http://www.kersport.com/feeds/re-leve-sport

You might try LMF, if it's available at a store near you. I used it myself for a while (the super supplement, specifically, but have also used Showtime and Gold in the past) and was pleased with the results. A friend has her horses on Gentle Balance and they've always maintained a good weight without being nutters.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I wanted to suggest Cavalor Comfort. I work for Cavalor and have had many calls since Pennfield pulled out of CA. Cavalor Comfort uses the same process of "flaking" that Pennfield uses. We actually worked very closely with them in designing Cavalor Comfort. Cavalor Comfort is considered our premium feed vs. ultra premium so will be your most cost effective choice from the Cavalor line. Another option if you are looking for low starch and high fiber is our Cavalor Strucomix Original. Please feel free to call 615.566.3282 or email me m.mccabe@cavalor.com if you have any other questions I'm happy to help and can have our nutritionist design a ration calculation for your horse that could be helpful for any feed you decide to feed. Thank you

Look at Purina Omolene 400. It is high fiber like Fibergized and tastes good, according to my picky 25 year old. The only thing I don't like is that it freezes into big chunks (that he loves) when we get very cold weather.

I prefer to buy my feed from a big company, as I think they are more likely to notice safety issues. Having lost a horse to what I believe was alfalfa cubes contaminated with the weed, hoary alyssum, made by a small producer, I prefer the bigger companies.

Was not happy with change in Poultry feed either soy, argg wondered why my peeps stopped eating at normal rates. Feed store not happy with me either had to really look for a feed that is still corn based here in NJ.