The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not a happy camper with Pennfield...

Apparently they are pulling out of CA. Figures, since I just put my gelding on Fibergized and he's doing great.

So now I'm on the hunt for a grain to switch to. I tried TC Lite, but Mr. Half-Arab was quite a bit nuttier and that is not something I'm willing to deal with again. He's got plenty of spunk already without his grain making it worse.

Anyway...so the usual brands are available...Purina (no), Nutrena (fed it in the past), Integrity, and possibly Cavalor, and a plethora of "no-name" brands (Horse Ration comes to mind). I'd like to find a fairly cost-efficient feed. The Fibergized is roughly $28 a bag, but because he's an easy keeper I don't have to feed a lot of it, maybe 2lbs a day. I'd like to stay in that price range.

Thoughts?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I feed the Integrity Senior. Horse loves it and it doesn't make him wacko. YMMV.

BTW, there's another thread on this in which there are some feeds recommended by Pennfield and others.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I started a very similar thread... btw, I am still rtrying to figure out what to do. That fibergized was perfect.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

I was going to suggest Ultium, but it appears you are not a Purina fan. Pennfield is what we'd feed in an ideal world but DH travels with the horse so much that he can't rely on always being able to get it. Our guy has done very well on it, and he has always been a tough, tough keeper, esp when his workload is high.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Do you have access to Triple Crown? Senior would be a good alternative to Fibergized.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Please, everyone contact Tami Jones at tjones@pennfield.com. My company works for Pennfield, and we've been spreading the word via Facebook, these forums, and word of mouth that Pennfield stands ready to recommend to each and every California customer the best alternative. There are a couple of very small brands you haven't listed that seem to provide a similar level of quality and formulation that your horses may do very well on.

Pennfield really does "put the horse first" and the entire team is extremely saddened for that reason to be leaving California. We read every post, every letter saying, in essence "But my horse is doing so great now. Why are you leaving us?" and feel for you. But ultimately, Pennfield had no choice in the current economic and commodity environment.

If you want to know more, Tami and I have both posted at length here on COTH about why they had to pull out of that market.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post
    I was going to suggest Ultium, but it appears you are not a Purina fan.
    Based on what OP said about her half arab getting nuttier on TC Lite I would not recommend Ultium. My half arab was really stupid on Ultium. Not sure why but he was rearing and bucking and just not himself. Switched off of it and within two weeks he was back to normal.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Is there a rational reason why Purina is a "no"? I love Ultium for the hard keepers but most of mine don't need it. But their ration balancers are great, IMO.
    Click here before you buy.

I switched to the Integrity (made by Star Milling which is local) because Star stopped eating Purina anything. Tried TC without luck. Ended up with the Integrity because I was at an event where someone was handing out free samples.
    The Evil Chem Prof

When I contacted Pennfield they told me about a company called Equus Feeds. I don't feed Fibergized I feed the ration balancer by Pennfield - All Phase.

I also found Hallway to have a lot of good quality feeds.

I have never been a fan of anything Purina or Triple Crown. But that's just me.

KER may have some suggestions too.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I switched my horse from Fibergized to TC Senior when I moved barns. Price is comparable and I like the Triple Crown a lot better for my TB.
    friend of bar.ka

DW - I fed the Purina RB when Bailey was in IL being a pasture puff (lack of options), but I've heard too many negative comments about their feed and what they put in it.

My trainer (whom I trust) is who got me to switch from TC Lite to Fibergized. She fed TC for quite some time before switching to Pennfield and she saw a big difference, even horses who were on TC Senior. Her opinion is that TC has too much sugar in its feed. Needless to say neither of us are pleased with Pennfield at this moment. She may be switching to Cavalo, but it's not going to be super easy to get. Thankfully if I go that route I'll be able to place my measly two-bag order with hers instead of having to chase around San Diego.

The TB I'm leasing is on Integrity Sr and seems to be doing pretty well. He's super laid back, so I've thought about switching my guy to that, but I'm having a brain lapse and can't remember if it has alfalfa in it or not. I'm trying to avoid that because it seems he's hotter with it in his diet.

I've heard too many negative comments about their feed and what they put in it.
    The dangers of making up your mind based on what you read on the internet, I guess. Let me guess: "they put stuff they sweep up off the feed mill floor in there". That particular phrase goes 'round and 'round and never dies. Fair enough, but my horses are thriving on it.
    Click here before you buy.

TC products have lots of sugar While it may not have worked for her, and she could have been feeding some of the racing formulations, TC offers products with some of the lowest NSC % available. Do some research before basing your decisions on the words of the uninformed.

I had to break up with Pennfield last year, which was a big bummer because I loved the Fibregized. The quality became very inconsistent--it smelled spoiled during the warmer months, and then started coming out very dry, causing my horses to choke. After working with Pennfield to figure out what was going on (they requested samples, replaced feed, etc) they did not address the issue and it continued to happen. BUMMED.
    I did hear that the company was splitting in two or something, though.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    TC products have lots of sugar While it may not have worked for her, and she could have been feeding some of the racing formulations, TC offers products with some of the lowest NSC % available. Do some research before basing your decisions on the words of the uninformed.
    Well like I said my horse was on TC Lite and he was a nut. Switched to Fibergized, and he has mellowed out big time. Considering she is an educated horsewoman and knows quite a bit about nutrition, and also fed TC products before switching, I'd hardly call her "uninformed".

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    DW - I fed the Purina RB when Bailey was in IL being a pasture puff (lack of options), but I've heard too many negative comments about their feed and what they put in it.

My trainer (whom I trust) is who got me to switch from TC Lite to Fibergized. She fed TC for quite some time before switching to Pennfield and she saw a big difference, even horses who were on TC Senior. Her opinion is that TC has too much sugar in its feed. Needless to say neither of us are pleased with Pennfield at this moment. She may be switching to Cavalo, but it's not going to be super easy to get. Thankfully if I go that route I'll be able to place my measly two-bag order with hers instead of having to chase around San Diego.

The TB I'm leasing is on Integrity Sr and seems to be doing pretty well. He's super laid back, so I've thought about switching my guy to that, but I'm having a brain lapse and can't remember if it has alfalfa in it or not. I'm trying to avoid that because it seems he's hotter with it in his diet.
    Alfalfa isn't listed as an ingredient in the Integrity brochure (http://www.starmilling.com/pdf-horse...tyHorseBro.pdf) though it implies that's not a complete list and to look on the bag. I called Star Milling once to ask about something and they were pretty helpful
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    My trainer (whom I trust) is who got me to switch from TC Lite to Fibergized. She fed TC for quite some time before switching to Pennfield and she saw a big difference, even horses who were on TC Senior. Her opinion is that TC has too much sugar in its feed.
    Her opinion is certainly not based on fact. TC Lite and TC Senior both have far lower NSC values than Fibergized or any other Pennfield feed. Her horses may very well do better on Fibergized, but she's obviously clueless as to the reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseflyer View Post
    Please, everyone contact Tami Jones at tjones@pennfield.com. My company works for Pennfield, and we've been spreading the word via Facebook, these forums, and word of mouth that Pennfield stands ready to recommend to each and every California customer the best alternative. There are a couple of very small brands you haven't listed that seem to provide a similar level of quality and formulation that your horses may do very well on.

Pennfield really does "put the horse first" and the entire team is extremely saddened for that reason to be leaving California. We read every post, every letter saying, in essence "But my horse is doing so great now. Why are you leaving us?" and feel for you. But ultimately, Pennfield had no choice in the current economic and commodity environment.

If you want to know more, Tami and I have both posted at length here on COTH about why they had to pull out of that market.
    Sorry, but they/you can't be reading every post, or if you are, then maybe that is why my calls and thread have not been responded to.
    This happened before too. I think customer service at Pennfields is horrid. I dealt with it because my mare did well on the senior choice.
    But, now, as I posted in another thread, even my goat will not eat your new formula.

Sorry, but I have worked extensively over the years with Blue Seal, Triple Crown and Poulin, and I have not been impressed with the customer service of Pennfields. All the other companies return my call within 24 hours. You folks do not.

Californians, maybe Pennfields pulling out of your state is a blessing. Your horses may not have liked their new formulas.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

If your trainer goes with Cavalor, I would suggest the Pianissimo. I put my hunter on it - she's no longer spooking at the ground hogs and more focused in her work.