The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MA - Looking for older and/or quiet dog in needing a home

Note: I'd look at the two 12 year old Dobies looking for a New England home, but I don't think Mom would take on two dogs .

My 77 year old, widowed, mother just lost her last pet, a very elderly cat. She wants another companion, but is worried about outliving a younger animal. She says she'd prefer a dog over a cat right now.

She is healthy, reasonably active and very animal experienced. Over the last 50 years she has had an Airedale, a Rough Collie, a Westie and two Brittanies, some overlap, every one died of old age or was euthanized at an advanced age due to a serious cancer diagnosis (hence so few dogs over so many years . She sometimes cares for my rather nasty old Cattle Dog and young Border Collie mix without incident. Multiple cats, helped care for my horses when I was young. Home much of the time. Big house in the suburbs with large yard and invisible dog fence. Good food and, regular, quality veterinary care.

Mom is small and can't handle a big dog who will pull on the leash or who is very exhuberent and will knock her over jumping up or trying to be "first" down the stairs or out the door. Bigger dogs are fine if they are polite.

Exercise would be leash walks around the neighborhood and social visits to the local conservation land where dogs can be off leash if they have a good recall.

I don't want something at death's door for her, as she's lost enough people and animals over the last few years, but an older dog would be good.

Even though a dog would be the only animal in the house, backup if she becomes ill or doesn't outlive the dog would be my house...we have a cat and two dogs here, so a dog able to get along with other animals is a plus, just in case. Grandchildren (8 and over) visit.

If you are aware of a nice adult dog looking for a good home, let me know.

My fiance's grandmother adopted an older dog through some program that matches senior people and senior dogs. Maybe try looking into that?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

I wish you weren't so far away...my daughters teacher approached us about taking her mothers dog(s) as she has Alzheimers . I think the were Scottie's....very cute and one is about 8 or 9.

Surely you can find something at the animal shelter though? I see old Beagles ALL of the time on our shelter fliers. Bless your mom for wanting to care for a senior pet. Good luck ~

Purina has a program that matches seniors with middle aged to older dogs in need of homes. You might go to their website and see if there is a good match in your area. If the grandkids were not in the mix, I would have a really good candidate for her..alas, the dog is not overly fond of children. Dogs, cats, horses, etc fine..Seriously though, I would check out the Purina program.

I would check local no-kill shelters. Often older dogs get passed up for pups and end up there for years. Here is a link to the one in my hometown that has some GREAT dogs for adoption. I also believe that they do arrange for transportation in case of an out of state adoption.

http://www.hhhumane.org/?cat=3
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    My fiance's grandmother adopted an older dog through some program that matches senior people and senior dogs. Maybe try looking into that?
    The shelter where I got Pirate had some kind of deal too, for older adults taking older dogs.

They thought Pirate was 10 at the time (turned out he was 5, but he LOOKED 10 when I got him, and his microchip is in entirely the wrong place) and apparently he'd been there for quite a while - they were really happy to see him go to a home.

(And completely blown away when I took him back after a couple of months - not being in a stressful shelter environment and being on better food made a HUGE difference. He perked right up.)

Default Beagle-Cattle dog cross in NY

We have a little white and red speckled spayed girl we need to find a home for (not a rush), but she's only 10 months old. She's a cutie, she's good with kids and other pets, and she's only 30 lbs. Good recall despite being half beagle.
    We got her off craigslist to keep our Springer male company and they got along great, but we had to move into a small village home and the two of them are nutty over squirrels, strollers, walkers, etc. running window to window and generally being way too much dog. We do get them out to our farmland and as noted she can run free and come back. I would love to find her a special home as without Logan's energy to feed off of, she's a much quieter dog. She's crate trained and housebroken, although if you don't take her out immediately when she comes to let you know, she'll go to the door and pee.

I think you might put in your request with Danny and Ron's Rescue.

http://www.dannyandronsrescue.com/

They have dogs of all types and are very nice people.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    I would check local no-kill shelters. Often older dogs get passed up for pups and end up there for years. Here is a link to the one in my hometown that has some GREAT dogs for adoption. I also believe that they do arrange for transportation in case of an out of state adoption.

http://www.hhhumane.org/?cat=3
    Why just no-kill shelters? Do the dogs slated to die somehow not deserve a home?

I personally am not a fan of "no kill at all costs" shelters. Some won't humanely euthanize due to ANY reason: not health, not temperament. With some organizations dogs have been sitting in shelters (not foster homes, SHELTERS where they barely get out of their cage, for 7-8 years or MORE. As a result the dogs are a bit stir crazy and really are no longer suitable for most homes. I'm all about not euthing adoptable pets but a lot of the "no kill crazies" go way too far.

/rant

To the OP: try www.petfinder.com. Searches tons of local shelters/rescues with the closest pets being listed first. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post
    Why just no-kill shelters? Do the dogs slated to die somehow not deserve a home?

I personally am not a fan of "no kill at all costs" shelters. Some won't humanely euthanize due to ANY reason: not health, not temperament. With some organizations dogs have been sitting in shelters (not foster homes, SHELTERS where they barely get out of their cage, for 7-8 years or MORE. As a result the dogs are a bit stir crazy and really are no longer suitable for most homes. I'm all about not euthing adoptable pets but a lot of the "no kill crazies" go way too far.

/rant

To the OP: try www.petfinder.com. Searches tons of local shelters/rescues with the closest pets being listed first. Good luck!!
    I suggested no-kill because usually older dogs are slated for ruth earlier in regular shelters. Often times that doesn't give the staff ample time to discover the pet's personality and whether or not it is suitable for a senior owner.

FWIW my family's dog came from a kill shelter. She is amazing.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

The Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue in Hudson has a Senior dog for Senior citizens program. Although a Golden might be larger, as long as it is a quiet older Golden, might be ideal.

I may know of a female Puggle in need of a new home in south central MA. I believe she's 8ish and currently lives with other pets. Will post when I know more!

We got our dogs from Buddy Dog -- they often have dogs who are older. It's a no-kill shelter. It's in Sudbury so not that far from you.

http://www.buddydoghs.com/
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Default Medfield Animal Shelter

How about this older guy. . . no adoption fee
    http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23739774

This shelter is great to adopt from, really helpful and want the best for both the person and the pet.

Saw this one on my local Craigslist and was tempted, but wrong timing for me. Located in Norwich, CT, which is south on 395 from Worcester:

7/22 10 YR OLD WELSH CORGI
    4km6r-3156604816@comm.craigslist.org

10 YEARS OLD,LITTLE OVERWEIGHT BUT GOOD DOG,WAS MY GRANDMOTHERS BUT WE HAVE ANOTHER DOG AND 2 IS TOO MUCH!!HES VERY QUIET AND HOUSE BROKEN,PERFECT FOR ELDERLY,FREE TO GOOD HOME,PLEASE RESPOND BY EMAIL OR CALL OR TEXT 860-215-0170,THANK YOU
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Default 12 year old spayed Sheltie looking for a home

Very quiet, nice girl. Her owner's circumstances require rehoming. Located in Roanoke, VA. I am a small animal veterinarian, and this dog has always been a favorite of mine in our practice. Please email me for more info.
    Bergrbnch@aol.com.

I will try to make this short, but wanted to share a great story. We breed border terriers for about 25 years. All our dogs leave with a contract that they have to come back to us if the owners can't keep them for any reason. About 5 years ago an elderly woman called that had one of our borders that was 10 or 11. Her husband had passed away and she was going into assisted living and they wouldn't let her take the dog. I drove 5 hours to her house to pick her up and we were both in tears. She came with all her "gear" and a 3 page typed letter from the woman.

About a month later an old riding friend called and said that her mother who was about 80 had lost her dog a few months earlier and they thought that she really needed another dog but didn't want a young dog for all the reasons this OP has described. She had heard I now had borders and thought it would be a good fit. They were VERY wealthy, had an estate, housekeepers etc so she assured me the dog would be well cared for which I already knew. I told her I had the perfect dog, it had spent it's life on a little old ladies lap and it would be delighted to sit on another. I took the dog up to the family the next day, along with the 3 page letter. One of the things that the letter said, that we NEVER would have known was that the dogs favorite treat was bananas....

So in talking with the woman about the dog I gave her the letter but told her that the dog really loved banana's if she could share a breakfast banana with her. She looked at me in TOTAL seriousness and said "does she prefer Chiquita or Dole??????????? LOFLAF

What is the REALLY great end to the story is that the new owner called the old owner and they became fast telephone friends, sharing the antidotes of the dog and helping them both with the loneliness of widowhood.

what a super great story equinedriver!!! That is so heartwarming.

Canaqua, hope some of the ones mentioned work out for your mom.
    Good luck.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Default post of companion iggy

hi someone just posted this in the same section as your ad(I am an iggy owner and think they are wonderful companions for elderly; they are gentle, communicative and healing- maybe they can ship her to you by air):

North TX - Italian Greyhound(?) female needs home
    cyriz's mom
    Sep. 17, 2012 01:28 PM
    by WoofNWhinny*
    Sep. 9, 2012, 11:29 AM
    cyriz's mom
    Advanced

North TX - Italian Greyhound(?) female needs home
    this little girl showed up at our place yesterday. We think she's at least part Italian Greyhound.

She is incredibly sweet and if we didn't already have 5 dogs (4 who weigh at least 5 times what she does), we'd keep her.

So, "Cuddles" is looking for a great home. She'd be great with kids. Wants to be with the people.

Please forward her info on to anyone you know looking for a great, smaller dog.

Here's some pics of her:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9315984&type=3