The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default At home with Carl Hester

Just came across this - those of you 'in the know' probably already watched it but maybe some of the other luddites like myself would be interested:

http://www.horseandcountry.tv/tv/programmes/carl-hester

Fabulous show following Carl Hester and Charlotte through some of the qualifiers...

I love this show! I watch it on the internet.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Thumbs up Love that show,

Always watched it on HRTV Mostly repeats now.
    How I first knew about Charlotte!

I knew I was behind the times...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Not at all! Thanks for sharing the link. It's new to me.

I love the show, it's on HRTV on DISH. He's quite the charmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    It's all good. I only learned about Carl when he rocked the WEG this past year. Now he's in my trinity of dressage gods (Carl Hester, Reiner Klimke, Uta Graf ).

Paula

Thanks for posting. Great video.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

It's all good. I only learned about Carl when he rocked the WEG this past year. Now he's in my trinity of dressage gods (Carl Hester, Reiner Klimke, Uta Graf ).
    LOL, we have the same dressage god trinity!

I love this show, I absolutely respect Carl based on the end result of his training but watching the show definitely bumped my opinion of him up to the next level. Riding and training may be his business but you can really see how much he cares for his horses, along with all of the other animals on the farm. Sometimes I see riders and trainers and I wonder why the hell they are involved in this sport... It seems that they don't even really like horses based on how they treat them. With Carl you can see the absolute love he has for horses and you can see his passion for dressage. That's how it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post

Paula
    That make 2 of us! And Hester is sooo nice to his grooms and staff!!! Never snarky or bi-polar like so many equine professionals out there

Great show, watched both "At Home" and "Carl and Charlotte." It was wonderful to see such insights. Especially interesting to see them in 2010, and what they were working towards (e.g. Carl saying he thought Charlotte would be an Olympic rider and that a mistake in the Prix St. Georges at the 2010 national championships is OK as long as you're aiming for a great performance at London 2012.)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

What I like about him other than he rides like the devil, is he has a human approach to his horses and their training. What a refreshing breeze he was when I was surrounded by (figuratively) people who wouldn't leave their precious horses outside, who were such breed snobs that if you didn't spend 10 grand on a prospect you were an idiot or wasting everybody's time. He talks about his roots, his heritage in riding (the people he rode for who wouldn't spend more than 1000 pounds on a horse but still ended up sending horses to world championships), his philosophy of turnout and hacking! He is also inspirational when he talks about buying young prospects and having to adapt to their temperaments. There's one horse he talks about that is so hot he has to adapt his training schedule!

I have a couple of his books and he (as well as other classical trainers) really helped me understand that there is no perfect for dressage horse, that WBs have their advantages and challenges, and baroque horses have their advantages and challenges. This helped me stick to my guns when choosing my horse (neither baroque nor WB mind you). I could go on and on.

Paula

Thumbs up turn out

so nice to see them turned out daily!Let's see if we can do away with the story that dressage horses in training must live in a stall except when being ridden/ trained; I was told this helped "focus"
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans