The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Equitation jumper from Europe ** VIDEO** Is she nice or a pass?

I have been looking at this 7 year old Holsteiner jumper mare for three weeks on video. My intention is to ride the Big Eqs with her. I have even vetted her (she vetted great) . I can't put my finger on it but I can't say yes. She is 60K delivered to my barn.

Opinions Please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK-W...7kVF52Mhsfj_QA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBsv...sfj_QA&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRIn...7kVF52Mhsfj_QA

PS. You are a saint if you watch all three. : ))

I just watched the first one. She looks a little green still and a little bit quick for equitation. OTOH, she doesn't seem to care if you miss!

5 members found this post helpful.

Not sure! I love her! She has got a great canter and self carriage. Seems pretty level headed and like a straightforward ride.

1 members found this post helpful.

She looks like a nice horse that can take a joke. Maybe still a little green. I think her ride would smooth out a lot if she was ridden a little less behind the vertical between some of the jumps. Really liked the look of her in the second video with the guy in the jacket on board. She looks lovely, with lots of scope to move up in the jumpers.

What do you want to do long term? Is being really competitive in the big eq your primary goal, or do you want a horse to move up the levels in the jumpers on that you can also do the big eq with? If it's the latter, she looks like a really nice horse.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Have you ridden the horse? I know there are plenty of people who buy sight unseen, but for that money, you might as well spend a little bit more and find out if you like riding it or not.

She is very lovely but will likely take some time to learn the eq job. How much time do you have before you age out?

4 members found this post helpful.

I am 53! I aged out of the jrs awhile ago. Now I am just hoping not to age out of the sport period!

8 members found this post helpful.

Looks sweet and willing and a bit on the greenish side (the European horses always need to be trained to the American ride). My only thought...there is a whole lotta horse behind the saddle to motivate, balance and pull together. With that length of back, you may not get the shortening of step that is needed for the deeper distances.

If you are 53 then no Big Eq for you! There are mostly 3' adult eq classes and a very few at 3'3. I am sure she would be more than capable but unless you ride her, you don't know if it's a match. As mentioned, she will need some American-izing for any ring but the jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonHJ View Post
    If you are 53 then no Big Eq for you! There are mostly 3' adult eq classes and a very few at 3'3. I am sure she would be more than capable but unless you ride her, you don't know if it's a match. As mentioned, she will need some American-izing for any ring but the jumpers.
    We have adult 3"6" eq! I am prepared to americanize!

2 members found this post helpful.

Not in the Northeast we don't! In any case, I still vote to sit on her first.

She looks pretty Green. Do you have the time and trainer lined up to developed her? They do it a bit differently over there prepping young sales horses, they pretty much go right to the fences. They aren't nearly as broke on the flat as you'd expect, once they know they are destined for export, not to show there or breed, they are not as thorough as they would be if they were keepers.

I dunno, 60k delivered to Cali is not a bad price. I just question this horse as an Eq horse, I see Jumper and one that needs a good, strong ride now and probably for the foreseeable future. If you were looking for a Level 3 ish Jumper that could eventually do Eq, I'd like her better for you.

Honestly, I think you can do better in that price range or even less if you want that Green. She is real pretty, mentally paint her plain brown to evaluate suitability.

What are you currently showing in? Any Jumper mileage in Ch/Ad around 3'6"?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree with the previous posts, for a horse in the mid 5 figures I would want to sit on them before any decision was made

Any horses in the US that you like ? There must be one closer to home. The money you save on shipping from Europe could give you a bit more to spend here.

Just a thought !

btw, What a nice rider ! Quiet and still.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

3 members found this post helpful.

Lovely lovely mare.

I watched the first video and thought pass. Then I watched the other two and I like her more (I ride jumpers).

What is her breeding? She looks like she can jump a big jump so if you want to take the chance on her only to find she is not right for you I imagine you could resell as a jumper.... Bonus if she has good breeding (I'm guessing she does) and could later be used for breeding.

Good luck!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Elouise View Post
    My only thought...there is a whole lotta horse behind the saddle to motivate, balance and pull together. With that length of back, you may not get the shortening of step that is needed for the deeper distances.
    Agreed. My first impression was of a big, long strong mare who is heavy on her forehand and would take some work to ride in between the jumps, especially for a smaller rider.

If you plan to do the big eq I would work with a good trainer to help you decide. IMHO, I love her look, size and color.... for me at the trot she has a short stride for her size and canter stride isn't as powerful and flowing as I would want. I pick more Hunter horses however

But the eq horses I have seen I really like have a bit more power and suspension than what I see in the videos.

I hope whatever you decide you have fun!
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM

Quote Originally Posted by farfel View Post
    Agreed. My first impression was of a big, long strong mare who is heavy on her forehand and would take some work to ride in between the jumps, especially for a smaller rider.
    Agree with this. I think the first video has a smaller person riding, but with a deep European seat. With a lighter American seat and less contact, the mare might end up like a snowball rolling downhill. Lovely mare, nonetheless, but doesn't look like soft easy ride for eq, to showcase rider.

I just glanced through the videos but didn't see her do any lead changes. Is there a reason for this? If I was dropping 60K on an eq horse I would want the lead changes to be there and be easy.

I do like her though, she looks like fun!

8 members found this post helpful.

first impression as a former hunter turned dressage

poorly presented on the flat. Horse is pushed into a frame and the rider is holding her there with the hands. I don't see self carry and that extends to the time in between the jumps. Horse is rocking and rooting on the riders hands, they never yield. Soemtimes the horse appears to back off behind the riders aids and she then gets goosed forward.

they bring her out of the barn and directly onto the flat, giving no proper warm up. This may have been for "show purposes" but it certainly did her no favors

far to many cut away edits in the first jumping vid

I would not buy this horse untried

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by midstride View Post
    Agree with this. I think the first video has a smaller person riding, but with a deep European seat. With a lighter American seat and less contact, the mare might end up like a snowball rolling downhill. Lovely mare, nonetheless, but doesn't look like soft easy ride for eq, to showcase rider.
    I agree, watching her videos, she looks like she goes alot like the Trak mare I ride (though the gray mare is bigger, fancier and more scopey ). I would not want to do eq on the mare I know, she requires my butt IN the saddle and a relatively upright posture, to balance her between fences, if I try to ride her like a hunter or eq horse, it's all, quite literally, downhill from there and she turns into a freight train. She's extremely opinionated about it too, she gets angry if I don't help her balance with my body. She's tons of fun and loves her jumping job, but she's not an eq horse.