The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is this shipping cost reasonable?

I know little about shipping costs and need to find out if this was a reasonable charge. This shipper was recommended by BO, and these are the charges for a similar trip from last year.

The trip was 140 miles each way so 280 miles total.
    The two-horse trailer was pulled by a diesel pick-up truck.
    It went up empty and returned with two horses.

The charge was $161.75 for gas and $316 for the driver/trailer/truck use/tolls for a total of $477.75.

Thanks for any opinions.

Yeah, I think that's about right. I had a pro haul long distance earlier this year and it was about $1 per loaded mile per horse. For a specialty trip to just go out and pick up a couple horses (versus a route where horses are being picked up and dropped off along the way) I can see why you were charged for the unloaded miles as well.

Thanks, Mps and Simkie - very helpful.

Very reasonable. I know those who charge $1.50/mile, even if the rig is empty (to come get the horse).

WAY reasonable if you go by the $1.25 per horse per mile rule we have around here for race and returns............

I am assuming this was a professional shipper? If it was a "regular person", they can't legally do that. That is considered hauling commercially which means they must abide by ALL commercial vehicle rules and regs (weigh stations, vehicle inspections, log books, fuel and road use taxes, DOT numbers, etc). It also means that unless they have commercial insurance on their truck and trailer, should anything happen while your horse is in their care, they are not covered by their insurance.

So, for those of you that charge people for hauling their horses, think about this. If you haul my $15K horse in your personal trailer and you charge me to do so, you better hope nothing happens to my horse. It is one thing to split fuel. It is another thing to charge to haul the horse.

Just food for thought.

Not to hijack the thread, but what do people think of $1/mile as a charge for trailering? Good price, reasonable, or ...

We have 2 rigs. A deisel dually and 3 horse slant with dressing room. And a Freightliner FL60 crewcab with 5 horse head to head/mid-tack/living quarters that is 68' from nose to back. When diesel was $3.70-3.80 a gallon it cost us $0.60/mile to run either rig, loaded or empty.

So if you read my post above, unless you are paying a commercial hauler $1/mile, you are probably overpaying. Offer to buy their fuel, lunch, etc. THAT is legit (well, actually that stretches it too but it is "more legal")