The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Green pony status

I've not been doing a lot of ponies in the past few years, so have a question as to green pony status. We are leasing a Large pony with hopes of purchasing as a mount for the large pony division (eventually). It has NEVER shown in the pony divisions, but it's previous owner (who was an adult) showed him a few times in the jumpers, and I think did one 3' open class on him just to see what he'd do. So now we have a pony who has like no experience in the hunter world at all, but is technically not eligible for the greens, as he has jumped over 3'.

Does anyone know the details on if this can be reinstated, or if we're just fighting a losing battle? It's somewhat frustrating to me, but since his past owner was an amateur, she really didn't have the option of the pony appropriate classes.

Any information on the grey areas of this would be greatly appreciated! =)

Is the three foot jumper class on the pony's USEF record? If it is and it is from the 2011/2012 season or before, chances are probably slim to none of having the pony's green eligibility reinstated. If it is from this show season, you can get it reinstated but download the forms today and get it started.

The owner may need to initiate that and fill out the forms with the information since OP is just leasing it at this point.

But if it was shown this year? It needs to be done NOW. If it was an unrated show????? May be OK as is if it was just that once, unrated leaves no record and the rules pertain to rated shows... bit of an ethical grey area there but if it was just once? Wouldn't bother me.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Okay, so I just looked up his USEF records, it is as follows:

One .85 meter class in May at RMI
    Three .85 meter classes in May at Tryon
    One .85 and one .95 meter in June (Atlanta)
    A .95 and 1 meter in June (Atlanta week 2)
    One .95 and 2 meter classes in July (Auburn)

So what, that's three horse shows competing over 3', though all this year in the past several months.. Guess I can try? Interestingly, the 3' hunter class she said she took him in at Auburn isn't even on his USEF record, maybe it was just a schooling class..

If that's all he's done, you (or actually his owner) should be able to get his green status reinstated. The whole procedure is spelled out in the rule book.

HU105 Green Status – Reinstatement
    1. A horse’s or pony’s green status may be reinstated for a future competition year if it was not shown at the regulation height at more than four (4) competitions prior to September 1st and if it was not shown at that height after September 1st in the same year.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    If that's all he's done, you (or actually his owner) should be able to get his green status reinstated. The whole procedure is spelled out in the rule book.

HU105 Green Status – Reinstatement
    1. A horse’s or pony’s green status may be reinstated for a future competition year if it was not shown at the regulation height at more than four (4) competitions prior to September 1st and if it was not shown at that height after September 1st in the same year.
    Is that the rule in its entirety? I am thinking yes. Someone told me they can't go to Pony Finals and then get reinstated but I would imagine that would get spelled out.

OP, get that letter written quickly! September first is approaching fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    Is that the rule in its entirety? I am thinking yes. Someone told me they can't go to Pony Finals and then get reinstated but I would imagine that would get spelled out.

OP, get that letter written quickly! September first is approaching fast!
    That is not the entire rule, you cannot reinstate after PF.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

There is more to the rule, but I only quoted the part that is relevant to the OP's pony.

When I quote from the USEF site, I get tons of "font" stuff that I have to go back and delete, so I tend to quote the short version.