The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Critique, please!

It's been a while since I've put myself up for examination, and I'm a bit bored this afternoon - so I'd love to hear some suggestions of things to work on. I'm a little out of shape and out of practice this year, but have been working hard on NOT planting my hands when I do get to do some jumping. I actually have a nice auto release, just need to school myself to use it more and stop lazily balancing on my hands.

Recent Photo

Horse is relatively new to jumping, started casually o/f last winter and has schooled here and there (no more than a dozen or so times, if I had to guess) since. He went XC schooling back in February and did some of the more benign BN fences. The photo is of his first time doing an actual course, and first time over any decorated fences. He's a big boy, with a big step...should have no problem making 3'6" look easy.

We're hoping to do the baby greens at a local schooling show this fall, so any tips would be appreciated.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Overall tidy and workmanlike

But, until you get your leg back you need to plant your hands. The auto-release cannot exist without a solid leg and base of support. I would suggest giving more hand and way less body to this effort.

Also make sure you get straight. I can see a slight left bend and I'm guessing that's why he's coming off the right hind weakly. Keep him straight so he can use both hind legs evenly on take-off for the best effort.

Enjoy him!

Don't close your hip angle quite so much.
    Throwing your body forward will encourage your lower leg to slip back and weaken your base of support.

I really like the look of your guy. He should end up nice.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

He's very cute and you look like you can jump just about anything....

I would suggest you do two main things 1) follow his mouth with your hand 2) put more weight in your heels thinking - heel towards the shoulder so you can keep your lower leg at the girth. As you wrap your lower leg around the horses barrel.

See if that helps your hand. You want to make sure you give a nice release and not pull on his mouth especially since you say he is new to jumping. You want to make sure he enjoys it....
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

I'd say that you don't have to close your hip angle quite so much. Also, try to think "forward" motion with your hands instead of pressing inwards, that way you won't have the "chicken wings" sticking out.
    Your boy is SUPER cute. Good luck with him!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Overall tidy and workmanlike

But, until you get your leg back you need to plant your hands. The auto-release cannot exist without a solid leg and base of support. I would suggest giving more hand and way less body to this effort.

Also make sure you get straight. I can see a slight left bend and I'm guessing that's why he's coming off the right hind weakly. Keep him straight so he can use both hind legs evenly on take-off for the best effort.

Enjoy him!
    He's weaker on the RH and was coming off the left lead, hence the uneven push off. So far, he's not been jumping crooked or twisting, but I'll keep an eye on it. I try to do a bit more work coming in off the right lead, but don't want to overdo it or make him sore.

Thanks for the compliment, jetsmom & To The Max. Believe it or not, he's a 14 year old TB, whose primary function will be eventing once he gets a few more miles under his belt. If he does well at the schooling shows, we may also dabble a bit in the hunters.

I do need to work on the ducking. It's a very ingrained habit.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Cute guy. I agree you need to open more and get your leg back under you. You are throwing yourself up on his neck. Sit back and wait for him to push you. Also follow more with your hand and give a little more rein. He is trying really hard to give a nice round jump but if you dont let him he will turn very flat. Overall though you don't look bad at all
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Overall its a decent picture, but in short, your leg has slipped back, and you are too far ahead of your horse, and laying on his neck. Your hands also need to be up his neck another 6 inches (shorten reins accordingly). Work on keeping your leg wrapped around him over the fences and getting out of his mouth, and you will be very pleased with his bascule and knees.