The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UPDATE 2ND PAGE: Human "Pass through" in pasture fencing

I want to see pictures of your personal pass throughs in pasture fencing. We are having a new line of fencing going up this week and we figure this would be an inexpensive but handy feature. Most designs I have seen look like this.

--------<---------------

Any other ideas? My sister came up with this and having the halters hang on the short wall.

---------- ---------
    ........--------- (imagine the dots arent there)
    Last edited by TPF Hunter; Aug. 24, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

I have seen mostly the ------>------ type. I have also seen a pass through that has board that slides across the open gap. The board has stops on either side so that it can't fall out of it's space.

I like the idea of the second one.

Be aware that if you have any ponies or skinny determined horses the gaps make a potential escape path.

I have also seen where you just have a post opposite both sides of the gap in the fence 6"-12" just inside and outside the center of the gap. This saves boards.

While it wouldn't work for foals or ponies, we just have some conveniently placed gaps in the fencing where I board. Perhaps 12" wide? Works just fine with full grown horses.

I've always had a pass through. Its just two heavy posts about 12" apart. Wouldn't be without it!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

We have gaps every so often in our fencing. Probably about 12-16 inches apart. The horses have never tried to get through, but we have huuuuuge pastures, so they pretty much never go near any of the fences.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
    I've always had a pass through. Its just two heavy posts about 12" apart. Wouldn't be without it!
    Do you put anything across that, like a short piece of chain or something? Don't the horses use it as as really good scratching post?

We have the type your sister suggested -- small break in the fence, with a mini fence behind it. Works great -- it's a very busy farm with lots of naughty school ponies and no one has tried to escape..

_______ _______
    ..........____
    (also pretend dots are not there)
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

we use the v - and the dog loves them too - they are his escape route

Quote Originally Posted by Romany View Post
    Do you put anything across that, like a short piece of chain or something? Don't the horses use it as as really good scratching post?
    No I don't put anything across...and they have never scratched there either that I have noticed. I suppose if they need to there are many others places...
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

One cautionary note about the "V" - we had that in our backyard barn setup, and everything was fine .... until one day I took my gelding out for a quick hack, and left our other gelding behind. "Alpo" (so named because his owner bought him off the meat truck when he was skin and bones) was an old Pony Club campaigner who taught everyone to ride. He was about 15.2 and classically Appaloosa - no mane, no tail, looked like a Dalmation on steroids. Alpo had been there, done that, and didn't get worked up over anything.

Until I left him alone in the paddock.

I'm about 1,000 feet from the barn when I hear a "THUD" and turn back to see Alpo powering up the hill at an extended trot, purely pissed off at being left behind. He blasted his skinny old self right thru the pass-thru. Fortunately my mother heard me hollering "loose horse! loose horse!" and came out with a carrot ... Alpo was more than happy to be caught.

Shortly thereafter, my parents had the "V" replaced with a smaller, very sturdy gate.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

Quote Originally Posted by TPF Hunter View Post
    I want to see pictures of your personal pass throughs in pasture fencing. We are having a new line of fencing going up this week and we figure this would be an inexpensive but handy feature. Most designs I have seen look like this.

--------<---------------

Any other ideas? My sister came up with this and having the halters hang on the short wall.

---------- ---------
    ........--------- (imagine the dots arent there)
    Your sisters idea is what we had at a farm I used to run. It worked great.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I wouldn't use the V as it leaves a protrusion in the pasture, and, well, horses just don't need encouragement to hurt themselves

Pass thrus are great, just consider how badly you need them to be totally 100% hands free. Most of the time you don't, so you could do a 2' gate that, at worst, can be opened 1-handed.

If you decide on your original design (which is pretty horse-friendly if the opening is small enough) then make sure you hang the halters on the outside of your short wall

Mine is just a small gap between end post of fence and the barn.
    Look to the right of the tree:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...May2010006.jpg
    It's not as wide as it looks in this photo, it's about 14".
    I have a covered chain that closes it off to keep the horse in the photo from trying to sneak out of it. He's a bit of a wise-ass.

Works well, easier than opening the 12' gate and I can carry grain bags over a shoulder and get through it sideways.

In retrospect though...I'd have put in an easy open 2' person gate instead had I thought of it at the time.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    While it wouldn't work for foals or ponies, we just have some conveniently placed gaps in the fencing where I board. Perhaps 12" wide? Works just fine with full grown horses.
    And skinny boarders!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Cute horse, Misty.

I love my V walk through gate. My husband built it for me as a surprise anniversary gift - one of my best gifts, ever. I often carry a bag of cat food, a cooler or other stuff in my arms and I love not having to fiddle with a gate latch or worrying about a horse getting through the gate while my arms are full. I have a houdini pony who has never escaped via the V gate.

Best of luck...

Isn't it called a stile?

And isn't there a song about a man who walked a crooked mile and there was a crooked fence and a crooked stile?

Letting my mind wander at work. I saw on the news today that zoning out is good for the memory.

My grandparents had/have the second style (with a short fence set off from a gap in the main fence) It worked really well for them! They bred welsh ponies, and even the littlest foals couldn't get out.

Quote Originally Posted by walktrot View Post
    Isn't it called a stile?

And isn't there a song about a man who walked a crooked mile and there was a crooked fence and a crooked stile?
    A stile is made up of steps up and over the fence. Different than a pass through.

Thanks HPFarmette! That's Sonny, bought him from the ac4h broker. Mr Blue is still surprised that you can even order a horse and have it delivered via internet, LOL!

His crooked face marking and his (usually) stand-up fuzzy forelock gives him a "What the...?" look most of the time that makes me grin.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte