The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hart, Sooner, Kieffer, Featherlite... Trailer help?

Hello all,

I have read numerous threads on this forum and others but I am still undecided. I am looking for a 3h Gooseneck trailer with a large dressing room to camp out in. I have seen many in my price range (15k and under) in tons of brands but yet I am still stumped.

I have seen the reviews of numerous brands and the horror stories of others but can I get some more?

I see a ton of Shadow trailers and I am not familar with the brand. Any reviews? How do they hold up?

Sooners and Featherlites are trailers that I know pretty well and I have seen a few that I like. Are these "safe" brands?

Exxis? I have seen many of them online. Any reviews?

Kieffer Built trailers seem popular. A woman at my barn swears by them and hers is quite nice.

I have seen a ton of good reviews here on Hart trailers and I am leaning towards one right now. Should I go with the Hart?

How about 4 Stars? Also a lot of good reviews.

Any features you cannot live without? I would like a rear tack and a door from the front dressing room to the horse section. All aluim as well would be great.

Sorry for the novel, but I want to make the right decision!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

4-Star for me..forever. Shadows are made in Ocala I beleive...friend has one and loves it although I understand they may be a bit lighter weight...

If you happen to come across a nice used 4-Star grab it...there's a reason they are rare

Look at Coast-to-Coast trailers in Ocala.
    Here's one that looks great!
    http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=398889 OOPS only a 2 horse and I see you are looking for 3 horse.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

I'll put a vote in for Hawk. I pretty much have the trailer you want in the 2H version. It's a 2H with extended horse space and extra large slant stalls (fits warmbloods). The tack room has an extra 5' on the short wall. We got this trailer is like new condition for less than you'd probably guess. It's a beautiful trailer and has served us well on our first long move (16 hrs)!

A few reasons we went with Hawk:
    1) the customer service is outstanding,
    2) ancient trailers look great,
    3) steel frame over aluminum skin (this is personal preference, I believe it's the best of both worlds),
    4) wood floor (again personal preference, I believe it is a softer/cooler ride, cheaper to replace than aluminum and I can switch to rumber if my lifetime warranty floor ever needs to be replaced),
    5) fiberglass roof (again personal preference, makes trailer lighter and cooler inside),
    6) detail work is outstanding.

Hawk trailers are pretty rare where we were shopping so we ended up driving to MO to get it and it was worth every penny spent and mile we drove. I love this trailer!

I absolutely love my Hart trailer (although I think the newer models will be quite a bit over your budget). 4-Star builds a really nice trailer. I have personally seen horrible problems with Exiss, Sooner and Sundowner trailers (and a friend with a six figure Bloomer has a leaky roof).

At this point, I can't imagine buying anything but a Hart. The gentleman who put in the living quarters told me it is a terrifically built trailer and the guy who just did my annual acid wash/tire check/bearing grease/electrical check told me that it's the best quality trailer he's ever worked on.

4-Star!!! I am on my third one and most likely my last one(I am expecting it to last until I quit riding!).

What size are your horses? Will you always be hauling 3?

I've had 2 Harts and still own 1 of the two - the 2H BP. The guy on horse trailer world wrote a review about Harts and said he'd like to try and see if he could blow one up. Said they are built like bunkers and I have to agree. New, they are *very* pricey. Worth every penny but they've priced themselves out of my budget so our bigger trailer is a Balanced Ride which Risa at Happy Trails Trailers designed. It's built by Hawk. Nice trailer.

Of the other trailers you've mentioned I will state I'd never own an Exiss. Ever. The older Featherlites are better built than the newer. I'm ambivalent towards the rest you mentioned as they have never been on my radar.

I'd personally add Elite, 4Star and Balanced Ride to your list of possibilities. Just to expand them
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I'm on Featherlight Number Three. I vote with my dollars.

That said, you have to look at the trailer in front of you. While brand will give you some confidence any brand can also have something "made on Monday."

When you shop go in something you don't mind getting dirty and take a flashlight. Be prepared to go "where the Sun doesn't shine." If you see quality where folks don't normally look then you've got a pretty good product.

Search hard!!!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I have been happy with my Sooner; it is a solid middle of the road trailer. I liked some of the features on my Sundowner better but they have gotten a little pricey also. I happen to be more of a weekend warrior these days so the Sooner works great for me.

Thanks everyone! I have 2 horses (16.2 and 16.3) and the 3rd stall would be for friends or for my pit bike and hay. I will be looking for used with my BF who works in the auto field and does metal work so hopefully he will be the one crawling with a flashlight!

The hart that I am going to look at is a 99 and hopefully everything checks out. I also have seen a few 4stars and featherlites that I am looking at for backups. I was not sure on the exxis brand but I will not go see those.

Thank you all for the insight and I will keep you updated!

Also another question. Would the 7' height be too short for my two guys? They are 16.2 and 16.3 and honestly I dont see myself getting a taller horse. I have always had the 7'6 so I am in uncharted territory here. The only goosenecks I have now are the flatbed and the enclosed trailer so it will be nice to actually have one to haul my horses in and not just the BFs toys!

Also sorry about all the typos in this post and the op, I am on my phone.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
    4-Star for me..forever. Shadows are made in Ocala I beleive...friend has one and loves it although I understand they may be a bit lighter weight...

If you happen to come across a nice used 4-Star grab it...there's a reason they are rare

Look at Coast-to-Coast trailers in Ocala.
    Here's one that looks great!
    http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=398889 OOPS only a 2 horse and I see you are looking for 3 horse.
    I am drooling over that one! I might be able to leave my pitbike at home for this trailer.

Jamco. We thought our 4Star was the best trailer ever, our Jamco makes it look like a toy.

Personally, I think 7' is too short but I know many will disagree. My horse is 16.2 and very upright and 7'6" was an absolute must if I didn't want his ears squished on the roof. It really depends on your horses though, maybe see if you can put them in a 7' to see how it checks out? Also keep in mind the average slant stall isn't designed for a larger horse. You may find yourself unable to close the divider in a regular slant, again depending on how your horses are built.

I'd not go shorter than 7' 6" for your guys.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I recently purchased a new horse trailer and luckily was able to find a dealer that would allow me to trade in my old one! I've been a fan of Featherlite Horse Trailers for years and these guys knew their stuff! Their name even represents the horse industry "Gait". They also showed me a brand called Bison, I was interested in the price and quality of these trailers as well. I did my homework before making a purchase and decided to go with Golden Gait Trailers in NC. Their website is www.goldengait.com They were a great group of people to work with and really know a lot about horses as well. When I first saw their facility, I thought to myself, "these guys are way to high" but actually I was able to work with them on the price and they ended up beating all other quotes I had gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    I'd personally add Elite, 4Star and Balanced Ride to your list of possibilities. Just to expand them
    I love the Balanced Ride trailers. My husband and I have decided that when we get a new (to us) trailer which we are going to have to do in the next couple of years, we are going to get a Balanced Ride trailer. We just have to decide on the model. He wants an 2 horse bumper pull with dressing room. I want a 2 or 4 horse gooseneck with dressing room.

Sheila

With the size of your horses, I wouldn't get less than 7'6" tall or 7'6" width (you need 10 ft diagonal length(minimally).
    And being that you live in Fla, I would look at trailers with drop windows on head & tail -you need the air circulation when it is warm(HOT).

What are you using to pull this '3 horse slant with large dressing room(LQ) with?

A 2+1 with DR might work for you.

I am lucky in that numerous family members of mine either currently work for, or recently retired from, a couple of the major trailer manufacturers, and have been in the business for about 15 to 20 years. Based on talking to them, my favorite trailers are the 4-star and Hart trailers. 4-star went through a major upheaval a few years ago so I am not sure if the newest ones are the same quality as the older ones, but they are still good trailers. I like the older Sooners as well, they are well built trailers. Sundowner I am completely not a fan of, Featherlites are not as high of a quality as the 4-star and Hart trailers but if you are wanting to save some money over them you might be able to find a decent one.

A rear tack is nice as long as your horses will back out. If they won't, it greatly decreases your turn around room. And you want it to be well sealed (and non movable if your horses turn around), otherwise it will leak.

For size, I am temporarily in a 2 horse trailer while I am getting established money wise and it is 7' tall and 7' wide and it works ok for my 16'2 hh mare. It is a little snug, but she hauls find in it. I think she would appreciate a few more inches, but doesn't require it. But that being said, even though she measures that by a stewards stick, she is extremely light bodied (ie can still wear a 46" girth on our hunt seat saddle).

Quote Originally Posted by sandsarita View Post
    I am lucky in that numerous family members of mine either currently work for, or recently retired from, a couple of the major trailer manufacturers, and have been in the business for about 15 to 20 years. Based on talking to them, my favorite trailers are the 4-star and Hart trailers. 4-star went through a major upheaval a few years ago so I am not sure if the newest ones are the same quality as the older ones, but they are still good trailers. I like the older Sooners as well, they are well built trailers. Sundowner I am completely not a fan of, Featherlites are not as high of a quality as the 4-star and Hart trailers but if you are wanting to save some money over them you might be able to find a decent one.

A rear tack is nice as long as your horses will back out. If they won't, it greatly decreases your turn around room. And you want it to be well sealed (and non movable if your horses turn around), otherwise it will leak.

For size, I am temporarily in a 2 horse trailer while I am getting established money wise and it is 7' tall and 7' wide and it works ok for my 16'2 hh mare. It is a little snug, but she hauls find in it. I think she would appreciate a few more inches, but doesn't require it. But that being said, even though she measures that by a stewards stick, she is extremely light bodied (ie can still wear a 46" girth on our hunt seat saddle).
    I pretty much agree, except on the last item. My Featherlight has a movable rear tack divider and I've not had any sort of leak in 11 years.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I just bought a new 4 Star sight unseen based only on the recommendations of COTHers and let me tell you...you all know GREAT trailers! Nicest trailer I have ever or will ever own.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR1 View Post
    I just bought a new 4 Star sight unseen based only on the recommendations of COTHers and let me tell you...you all know GREAT trailers! Nicest trailer I have ever or will ever own.
    You just have to inspect one for yourself to know how great they are!! I'm on my second one and think it will be my last.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"