The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Black polo?

I am going to a show this weekend, and if coats are waived would like to wear a black polo with my cream colored breeches and saddle pad. I know the rule-it should be allowed-but have never seen anyone in anything but light colored polos (what I wear when coats are waived and I have my white breeches on). Has anyone tried this, and was there a problem?

The actual rule is very clearly stated...You MUST wear a SOLID WHITE or PALE COLORED shirt with the collar open and no neck ware. Short or long sleeves are acceptable, NO sleeveless.

USEF Rule Book DR120

Unless you are showing in Canada, in which case it just needs to be a solid colour (so black polo is fine), and you can wear a stock tie if it is pinned to your shirt.

(guessing by your location you are looking for US rules though!)

Link to rule above: http://www.usef.org/documents/FormsP...entBooklet.pdf

7. In extreme heat and/or humidity in all classes including FEI classes at National
    Competitions, management can allow
    competitors to show without jackets.
    However, competitors must wear a
    regulation hat and solid or nearly solid
    colored long or short sleeved shirt
    with collar, without neckwear, and
    without decoration except as described under .12 below. T-shirts are not permitted. Members
    of the Armed Services or police units may wear summer uniforms.

I have read DR 120. It says nothing about white or light colors. Only that they must be solid colors. So...black should be acceptable, correct?

The rule changed recently in Canada regarding colours, so maybe it changed recently in the US too, hence the confusion?

"Solid or nearly solid colored shirt" doesn't sound very confusing to me.

Actually, since it specifies "colored", it seems to me that white would be verboden. Heh heh heh.

Also, "nearly" solid seems to say to me that a navy blue polo with a red pinstripe in the sleeve and collar would be acceptable. But that's me, I like to argue. And, since its "colored" and not "coloured" I would presume this quote is from the US rules?

Heh heh, again.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

I just looked at the most recent rulebook on line. No mention of color, just solid or nearly solid colored. I have seen competitors in those white show shirts with the colored princess seams at recognized competitions. I have seen competitors in light pink shirts.

Empty pocket farm, I think you have an old rulebook.....

L

The Eventing rules for dressage attire (EV115) specify a "white or light color" worn with a coat, or a "conservative color" when coats are not mandatory at one day HTs. I have seen people wearing black and navy polos at one day HTs, and think it looks quite sharp, especially with white breeches, as people then don't look like StayPuff riding around up there.

Perhaps the confusion about colored shirts came from a confusion with the Eventing dressage rules? Either way, reading the actual straight Dressage rules, it appears black is perfectly fine. Hmm, makes me want to try a black polo this weekend, myself! It would hide dirt so much better!

Be aware. The judges and TDs do not know this revised rule. I was pulled over and given a warning for a dark polo shirt this last weekend. I wasn't going to argue the point as it was just a warning, but I guess next time I'll be wearing grubby pink again just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Be aware. The judges and TDs do not know this revised rule. I was pulled over and given a warning for a dark polo shirt this last weekend. I wasn't going to argue the point as it was just a warning, but I guess next time I'll be wearing grubby pink again just in case...
    Some judges and TDs obviously need to be shown the current rules, then!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Think I will go for it. I may ask TD if she is available beforehand. I agree re Staypuf comment- I look like an ambulance when I wear white shirt/breeches. Think a dark polo woul be attractive.

Default two words: White Piping

I have been wearing a black vest (kerrits) when jackets are raised but a black polo, esp one with white piping would look great IMHO. I am distressed that TDs don't know the current rules, though. Some people posting on this board have had trouble wearing anything remotely different. But if you aren't super-thin the white/white look does not flatter.
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

Quote Originally Posted by mishmash View Post
    Think I will go for it. I may ask TD if she is available beforehand. I agree re Staypuf comment- I look like an ambulance when I wear white shirt/breeches. Think a dark polo woul be attractive.
    It would also be really hot.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Take a copy of the rule book with you and circle the relevent rule, just in case?

Quote Originally Posted by staceyk View Post
    I have been wearing a black vest (kerrits) when jackets are raised but a black polo, esp one with white piping would look great IMHO. I am distressed that TDs don't know the current rules, though. Some people posting on this board have had trouble wearing anything remotely different. But if you aren't super-thin the white/white look does not flatter.
    Oh, the white/ white look flatters nobody! I like the idea of your vest..

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Some judges and TDs obviously need to be shown the current rules, then!
    While I do agree, I'm not about to argue with a judge I'm about to ride in front of again. Now, had she DQ'd me I'd have been all over it.

When I saw the title of the thread I was pretty sure you were talking about this:

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/black-te...pionship-again

lol. Have fun at your match!

It is a solid or near solid shirt, short or long sleeves. No t-shirts, but no rule prohibiting polos. The BREECHES need to be white or light colored. I second the vest - if jackets are waived a solid colored cooling OR lightweight vest may be worn. That vest really makes for a better finished look, and gets rid of the Pillsbury Doughboy look