The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddle shopping - decent used cc/jumping saddle for long-legged rider?

Sorry to add yet another of these threads to the boards, but I seriously need some guidance! Last time I bought (well, was given, as it was a bday present) a saddle I had no choice about the brand - a family member was using their Smith Worthington employee discount to get me a saddle. And while I ADORE this saddle, now that I'm doing more jumping, we've noticed that I'm fighting the saddle, leading to me standing up in my stirrups and jumping ahead - bleck. Not a huge problem now as I'm still jumping teeny jumps, but- bleck! It's an AP with a fairly deep seat, so I'm planning to start looking for a used more-aimed-at-jumping saddle.

But I have no idea where to start! I'm looking to spend @$600 (I'd like to spend more, but I worry that if I wait until I've saved more, my jumping ahead will be firmly embedded in my muscle memory!), but my main issue is that I have an inseam of 35", and most of that is thigh - which is why using a school saddle is not really an option; my knee is off the edge, or right on the knee blocks.

So, any recs for flattish saddles good for long-legged people? I lease a QH-y type warmblood/paint cross, and that's the sort of horse I gravitate to so chances are that when I get my own, he'll be something like that. I also HATE blocks, so something without any or with easily removable ones would be a plus.

Any thoughts?

ETA - and, yes, I am sure that the saddle IS partly at fault for my position woes - when I do ride in a school saddle, it's a good deal better, though then there are other issues thanks to the whole knee-hanging-over bit!
    Last edited by RolyPolyPony; Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: adding info!

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    Sorry to add yet another of these threads to the boards, but I seriously need some guidance! Last time I bought (well, was given, as it was a bday present) a saddle I had no choice about the brand - a family member was using their Smith Worthington employee discount to get me a saddle. And while I ADORE this saddle, now that I'm doing more jumping, we've noticed that I'm fighting the saddle, leading to me standing up in my stirrups and jumping ahead - bleck. Not a huge problem now as I'm still jumping teeny jumps, but- bleck! It's an AP with a fairly deep seat, so I'm planning to start looking for a used more-aimed-at-jumping saddle.

But I have no idea where to start! I'm looking to spend @$600 (I'd like to spend more, but I worry that if I wait until I've saved more, my jumping ahead will be firmly embedded in my muscle memory!), but my main issue is that I have an inseam of 35", and most of that is thigh - which is why using a school saddle is not really an option; my knee is off the edge, or right on the knee blocks.

So, any recs for flattish saddles good for long-legged people? I lease a QH-y type warmblood/paint cross, and that's the sort of horse I gravitate to so chances are that when I get my own, he'll be something like that. I also HATE blocks, so something without any or with easily removable ones would be a plus.

Any thoughts?

ETA - and, yes, I am sure that the saddle IS partly at fault for my position woes - when I do ride in a school saddle, it's a good deal better, though then there are other issues thanks to the whole knee-hanging-over bit!
    I have an older beval natural that probably sells near your price point. It has an extra forward extra long flap. I have a 33'' inseam I think with a very very long femur and it fits me great.

Call up Smith Worthington & discuss this with them, they may be able to help you find something in their collection within your budget.

Does the school saddle fit your horse? if you can borrow that, it should remove stress from your saddle shopping

As you're looking at getting a personal saddle for a lease horse, look for saddles with adjustable trees (SW is great at this, Prestige (talk to Paul at VTO), Equipe Expression ...) or that are easy "sells" in your area.

For QH types, consider saddles with "cob trees" or "QH trees"
    Do a back tracing on your lease horse & then on several other horses that you think are similar (you may be in for some surprises )

Flat seat, no flap saddles should not be a problem in your price range BUT examine gullet channel width (many of these older saddle have A shaped gullet channels that are too narrow at the cantle for many horses) & panels (foam in these old saddles is quite different than modern - there are some rock hard panels out there).

Saddle fit videos.

Ashland all the way! Get a long flap, mine has no blocks underneath, and I love it to death. Seriously it may take you a little while to find one but you can definitely get one between $600-$800. English leather for that price? Deal!

There are a lot of Crosbys out there in your price range that have no knee rolls.

Used Pessoas also might be in that range and they are decent saddles. I am really happy with the used Pessoa I bought, and they do come with a long flap, so they're out there, too.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

OP, you might want to look for a Lynn Palm since you ride a QH type. These saddles were made by Crosby. They are like PDNs but made to fit Quarter Horses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crosby-Prix-...item27ca55c556

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, all! I'll start investigating!

http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...sed/Categories

Some good possibilities in here, including quite a few without any blocks.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Ok, now does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for used saddles? Other than farmhousetack.com, which is great. My local places have nothing in their inventory that will work, and I'm not sure of good used places! ebay kinda scares me...

Personally, I have had no luck finding a cheap saddle to fit me and a horse at the same time. I'm 5'11" with a 36" inseam (long hip to knee as well). I currently own a Butet for one of my horses (slender TB), because I couldn't find anything to fit us both otherwise. My butet has the longest and most forward flap they make (3.5) and fits me perfectly.

However, it does not fit my chunkier horse, who at 23 and semi-retired I'm not interested in spending that much money on a saddle for. (Not to mention that if I owned over $8,000 in saddles I might faint.)

When I was younger I owned a crosby centennial that worked for a long time, but after college I was over it at the knee, plus it didn't fit the horse (one now in butet). Not sure what your horse is like, but maybe that's an option.

I rode in an ashland with a long flap and wide tree that someone at my barn is selling, but it was too wide for the chunky horse. My knee was borderline in it and I thought it felt like sitting on a brick, lol.

Currently I have on order a Pessoa GenX in their new long/forward flap, but they are talking October 21st for it, and I ordered it a month ago. And it's just over $1,500. Ugh. I ride bareback a lot...

I do a lot of my searching on the various french used saddle websites and ebay. A lot of tack shops and saddle companies sell on ebay, and I wouldn't be so nervous buying from those. I take it there aren't any tack shops with used saddles near you? Big shows near you where there might be other tack shops?

I feel your pain!

Ok, now does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for used saddles? Other than farmhousetack.com, which is great. My local places have nothing in their inventory that will work, and I'm not sure of good used places! ebay kinda scares me...
    I've used www.usedsaddles.com to buy and sell and been very satisfied with their service and selection. Plus, they will send you any used saddle out on trial to make sure it is a good fit for you and your horse.

Try the tacktrader.com you can post what you are looking for as well- cheap ads and lots of them!

Thanks for the site suggestions!

Also, Trumbull Mountain and Middleburg Tack Exchange. And Rick's Heritage Saddlery, they have a ton of used saddles.

Morsekg-just as a FYI, I tried a pessoa gen x long/forward during my saddle hunt and it was no where near forward enough for me, I'm 5'10" 37" inseam, 23" hip to knee.

OP-have you looked at a collegiate diploma? That has a long flap (although not forward enough for me) you might be able to find it used in your range if you look hard.

I have a "Millers Crosby" in a long flap that is pretty versatile horse wise, although it doesn't fit two of my "more important" guys. It does work for me though!

What about an HDR? You can find them used in that price point and they have a nice forward flap. I had two people try a horse I had for sale and bring their own saddles. I was pleasantly surprised by how good of a fit both were on me AND my one horse. If my tad coffin didn't work that was next on my shopping list.

Default Scaring me

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
    Morsekg-just as a FYI, I tried a pessoa gen x long/forward during my saddle hunt and it was no where near forward enough for me, I'm 5'10" 37" inseam, 23" hip to knee.
    Hmm, supposedly the measurement on the flap is 15" wide (obviously you don't know where the width is going to hit) and 16" long from bottom of stirrup bar according to the Pessoa rep I talked to on the phone, which is close to what my Butet is. The saddle will be non-returnable because that flap size is uncommon and they have to make it for me so I'm a little scared now. Are you sure it was a long/forward and not just long? The long/forward combo just came out a few months ago.

What are the stats on your current saddle that fits you?

I just passed up a used antares on ebay that probably would have fit, boo.

It was the long forward I tend to ride with a shorter stirrup so have to have a forward flap. I just was shopping this spring, it was saddle number 2, I ended up buying saddle number 11 *sigh* It also wasn't a good fit for my horse (too flat of a tree IIRC and on x-w pinched her shoulders). It was one Dover had on sale and the rep recommended.

My current saddle is a 1999 tad coffin, 19", made for a "thin rider w a long hip/thigh measurement" (like all his saddles) between 5'11-6'1"...and is BARELY a fit. Like...barely. But! I have a FREAKISH leg. However, picky mare loves it and that's what matters. That and since its a minimal knee roll it allows my leg more room.

On the flat

over a fence

morsekg - it's tough being tall!

Jumpergrl - the barn has an HDR of some sort, and my knee hangs over the flap Do they make them w/ a fwd flap? Though that may not matter as the one at the barn also has waaay too wide of a twist for me!

morsekg - it's tough being tall
    It does get old when you can't buy anything cheap or have it be returnable if it doesn't fit! Happens to me all the time! I had to buy my Butet directly from Beval to make it returnable if it hadn't fit me and my TB.

Now I feel like I should hurry and cancel the pessoa, but my other options seem so limited...

I am also 5'11 with a 36" inseem...I have an Exselle Debut and it is extremely comfortable and fits my leg well (although it does have a small knee roll and thigh block. I bought mine used but it was in excellent condition. I have had it adjusted a couple of times for my horse and my saddle fitter always comments o the quality of the saddle. I am not a fan of the colour, but other than that, I love the saddle!

http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/for-the-...er-saddle.html
    Luna's Equine Designs - Custom stall signs and more! https://www.facebook.com/LunasEquineDesigns