The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default body clippers that don't require you to be a body builder

My oster clipmaster clippers arrived - dang, they're heavy - even hubby thinks so. Is there anything comparable & lighter? I'm new to body clipping - been clipping my dog with my andis agc's & the clipmasters are 5 times heavier. Will I get used to the weight or do I need to start working out?

I clip a tall horse, sure stool helps but,,
    wimpy me uses dog clippers with wide 10 blade.
    I have not used my Andis yet, but I will.

A lot of people now adays just body clip with their regular sized clippers.

I body clip with my Andis AGC2s.

Lister Star Clippers. Lightweight, powerful.

Default Andis AGC w/ T-84 blade

I grew up using the Clipmasters but hated that the fan blows hair all over you. I recently bought these Andis Clippers http://www.smartpakequine.com/andis-...x?cm_vc=Search to body clip an older horse with a thick hair coat. They were light weight, were easy to use, and gave a smooth clip. An advantage to the Clipmasters is that you can clip multiple animals in a row without them getting too hot. However, most of us don't have that need. The wide T-84 blade gives a clipping path as wide as the larger clippers.

^^ Love them.

I have clipmasters and I agree they don't get as hot as my small clippers. I also think they cut through a thick coat slightly better. That said, I did my body clipping last year with my small clippers and the T-84 blades. Love the T-84, gives a nice finish.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Lister Star Clippers. Lightweight, powerful.
    Same here

Oh man, can't agree more with that damn fan on the Osters. That being said, love them anyways and could NOT imagine body clipping with small ones . Really, people do that?

FWIW, I am no body builder and I have never had a problem with them. Buuuuut, they are also about 12 years old and I've been using that set or another indentical set for about 15 years. I like those Andis though, and Smartpak throws in a freebie?? Hmmm...
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I also have the Andis that SR has and I love them. They do get hot pretty fast, so I have a couple of blades and I can switch them out while the others cool. They do a really nice job.

I used to have a set of the Clipmasters and ended up selling them because they were to awkward for me to use and Boy hated them.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Oh man, can't agree more with that damn fan on the Osters. That being said, love them anyways and could NOT imagine body clipping with small ones . Really, people do that?
    Ditto this. I clipped with A5 clippers for a long time and there is no comparison to the Clipmaster. They just make it go so much faster.

I am no bodybuilder either. I just make sure that I keep the clippers levels with my elbows, if I have to go higher I stand on a stool. For the croup and top of the neck where I have to lift them, I'll do a bit until my arms get tired, then drop down to something lower on the body.

Lister Stars. The clipmasters have not been used in three years as after the 3rd horse my arm feels like it will fall off.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Thanks all - for those with the lister stars, are you using the fine or medium blade? I've read the fine blade is more of a surgical trim - not sure if this is true...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post

FWIW, I am no body builder and I have never had a problem with them. Buuuuut, they are also about 12 years old and I've been using that set or another indentical set for about 15 years. I like those Andis though, and Smartpak throws in a freebie?? Hmmm...
    Without a doubt, the Clipmaster is a more heavy duty clipper. The ones I used to clip with lasted decades even with heavy use, although I'm not hearing such glowing reports on the newer ones. I used to half-body clip about 80 cows twice every winter with those Clipmasters. As much as I love my new Andis clippers, I don't think they would last with that type of use. I have a pair of Andis grooming clippers that are 15 years old but couldn't imagine body clipping with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    Thanks all - for those with the lister stars, are you using the fine or medium blade? I've read the fine blade is more of a surgical trim - not sure if this is true...
    Medium blade for the first clip heading into winter and for a second winter clip if needed. In the spring I use the fine blade.

Double K's. I love mine.