I go to school (and live) in Lowell, MA, and apparently a canal broke downtown and the entire main street is completely underwater...there was an accompanying picture, but it still hasn't been covered by any news sources, so I'm not yet sure what has happened...absolute insanity. Our power has flickered a couple of times, but so far we're good. Sending jingles to everyone in the NY/PA/DE/MD/DC area...
Originally Posted by MistyPony
In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!
I realize this ship is / was something somewhat different than most, but........isn't that? reason for it to have a more protected? plan to get out of harms way?
I know they tried? or wanted to get out of the storm's path...but why not earlier? why wait? if you're in a tall ship sailing vessel?
You've got a greater risk tied alongside than you do at sea, the larger the vessel, the harder it is to secure. An 80 foot, wooden, tri-mast vessel isn't going to stay tied to a dock, right?
The reason they left when they did, I'd imagine: The storm was to hit florida, then go out to sea, then come in. So, if I put myself in the guy's head... you've got a crew of 17, in a reasonably safe vessel (it's a replica, not the original... it has an engine for example, I'd bet dollars to donuts. They obviously had lifeboats for 50, and the entire crew had exposure suits. ) which means you have a full deck crew and damage control. Further, when Sandy made her turn out to sea, when you got into sailing water, you'd have the wind at your back pushing you down the coast faster. You have a window of opportunity if all the stars lined up.
All in all, it's a gamble either way.... stay in port or go. They made a decision that I know they wouldn't have undertaken lightly. Just sometimes those gambles don't pay off and people die... and the Sea is the Sea, she'll kill you if she can.
Checking in from Virginia Beach coast. Battered for 3 days with wind and rain. Lot's of people without power, but seem to be getting it back fast . I don't even know how much rain we got, but it poured straight for about 36 hours! Once Sandy passed us and the winds shifted water started to drain.
Nice morning here today. Cool and a little breezy still, but OK to start the clean up so ponies can get back outside.
Can't vouch for any of the other Virginia COTHers, but I'm in Culpeper and we're OK here. From what I've heard, there are trees down and some without power out our way, but nothing like the derecho when I was the only person I knoew who still had power.
The HMS Bounty was headed to Florida then winter in Galveston, TX. I wonder if the crew was under pressure to get it here as many of them were probably volunteers with families and jobs waiting. It's very sad they couldn't wait for safer seas and one crew member is dead, and the captain still missing.
Checking in from CT. I'm inland, near Hartford, and it wasn't too bad for us. I actually never lost power, although many of the neighborhoods near me did. The horses made our fine at the barn where I board. Some were in, some had run-in sheds, but all came through the storm just fine. The CT shoreline is likely a different story.
I hope our friends in NJ, NY, VA, MD and PA are OK.
Re the Bounty. I understand that most ships (esp. Navy vessels) are better at sea than at the dock, but it is really sad when saving the ship (and a replica at that) is more important than the lives of the crew and the lives of the USCG sent out to help them out.
Up here, in Ontario, we were on the outside of the storm mostly. Lots of wind last night, not too bad as far as rain was concerned (at least in my area), no power outage here, but some in Toronto due to fallen trees. Right now, all is calm, no rain and we even had some blue patches in the sky and some pale sunshine.