The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Platinum Performance- "original" versus special formulas

I have recently been told by two separate vets that it would be a good idea to put my mare on a supplement- specifically, Platinum Performance. The first vet suggested just Platinum, the second suggested the Ortho-Chon HA forumula. My horse is a 3 year old 17 hand warmblood.

If my calculations are correct, the HA formula is significantly more expensive than the original formula (which is plenty expensive already). So my question is- is the the Ortho-Chon HA worth the extra cost, or would the original platinum formula be enough for supporting the needs of a big, young, growing horse? And what are your opinions of feeding a supplement like platinum to youngsters in the first place?

Personally I wouldn't use such an expensive supplement for something that doesn't have a problem, and honestly if my horse had a problem I would be spending that money on injectable treatments that work. As long as the horse is getting a quality feed and hay at proper amounts I wouldn't worry. Nutrients at this point to me are more important than a supportive joint supplement that is $$$ and may or may not do anything.

Are you confident that your horse is getting good feed and hay?

I have all of our horses on Platinum Performance Complete Joint. It is more expensive, but I think it's worthwhile. I do notice a difference in our older horses particularly (a hunter/short stirrup pony in his 20s of unknown age, a 19yo foxhunter, and a semi-retired jumper), but no real difference in the younger ones (I hope for some level of preventative maintenance, plus it's just easier to feed everyone the same comprehensive supplement, as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    I have all of our horses on Platinum Performance Complete Joint. It is more expensive, but I think it's worthwhile. I do notice a difference in our older horses particularly (a hunter/short stirrup pony in his 20s of unknown age, a 19yo foxhunter, and a semi-retired jumper), but no real difference in the younger ones (I hope for some level of preventative maintenance, plus it's just easier to feed everyone the same comprehensive supplement, as well).
    My older horse is also on the PP CJ. I've noticed a difference.

But since your horse is so young, I don't really see why they would need something like that??? Maybe the regular version as an all around health supplement. And that one does have some joint stuff in it.

We have two feed buckets at my barn that do great on PP. horses don't seem to be a fan Of The amount of powder. My vet suggested it for my horse partly bc PP contacted him and sent him all the literature. So I sent him info on my horses already get and he said don't change them! :-)
    Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

My young horse and my old guy are both on the 'platinum performance' competitive product from SmartPak and have been for about 2 years. The difference in their coats and feet is amazing...they both have tremendous hoof growth that has been noted by my farrier, who actually said my 26 year old had the best hoof growth in the barn (out of about 34 horses). That's not why I use it, but it has been a lovely collateral benefit.

bathsheba8542 - what do you get from SmartPak? Mine is on PP as well as supps from SmartPak. It would be nice to have everything come from SP!!

Bellbotts: http://www.smartpakequine.com/dailyo...umcompare.aspx

I use this for my horses as well, but I'm taking my mare off since she's a ridiculous air fern and not in heavy work. I'm keeping my gelding on because it does good things for him.

Thanks!

I personally think PP is a waste of money. I had a free month's supply and noticed absolutely no difference in my gelding. It made my mare nutso due to the soy so I took her off of it within a couple days.

If the horse needs added fat or omega 3, try either whole flax (I do a cup twice a day during the height of the summer itchies), or SmartOmega3. If the vitamins and minerals are what's needed, PP is very low in that anyway, so a half dose of SmartVite would provide a bit more for MUCH less money. If you're wanting the HA, go with a bucket of GrandHA and give half to 1/3 of the recommended 300mg dose. For my old mare who is getting stiff and creaky, 1/3 of a dose is all she needs to feel good enough to haul butt around the pasture with the younger two. It's a huge difference, and at that dose it's about $15 a month including shipping.

I was just wondering if anyone who has feed the Platinum Performance CJ has given 1 scoop per day, instead of the recommended 1 scoop 2x/day. I have a 5 year old OTTB who has a bit of arthritis, but is otherwise pretty healthy. I was hoping to be able to dose her at the 1 scoop per day and save a bit of money until she's in harder work.
    ~Jet Lag~
    ~Willie Cruise~
    ~Hot Tea~
    ~Calypso Bob~

I have all my horses on PP regular (one is a growing boy, one is an 11yo mare) They bloom on it. The baby* looks great. To supplement the mare with HA, I use Majesty's Flex HA wafers. She won't eat them like a cookie, but I crumble them up with her PP and she eats it fine. Eventually I will have to put her on PPCJ forumula but for now this is working for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jetandmegs4 View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone who has feed the Platinum Performance CJ has given 1 scoop per day, instead of the recommended 1 scoop 2x/day. I have a 5 year old OTTB who has a bit of arthritis, but is otherwise pretty healthy. I was hoping to be able to dose her at the 1 scoop per day and save a bit of money until she's in harder work.
    I've done regular PP at one scoop, it's fine. Then bump them to two when they need it.

U can do regular platinum performance + Smartpak's "Cosequin SP" for less per month than the PP Joint supplement and I don't see the big difference - in fact the amt of stuff in the cosequin SP I *think* is higher than the PP, so to me it seems like a rip off.