The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Slight hock swelling and lame at trot - NOT arthritis - what else?

So the pony I just bought and just had PPE'd has been riding beautifully - sound, happy, for over a month. The PPE was extensive and I had front feet and hocks Xrayed (several films/angles) His hocks were PERFECT. No arthritis. Great bone. Today I hopped on and he was fine at the walk. Acting normally also leading in, tacking up, etc. Tried to trot and he was lame. Felt like he was dropping right hip substantially and very noticeably off on right hind. His right hock is slightly swollen. No heat. No pulses in that leg. The swelling is evident from behind (the "ball"/back of hock bone area slightly bigger than the other)....and a bit of fluid on the outer right side. I hosed it, massaged it some, put some liniment on, and gave him 1/4 previcox.

He has been playing alot with a 2 year old, and it involves lots of rearing, nipping type play. Again, walking he is fine. Content in the field, grazing happily.

Besides arthritis, what are other things this can be? I just retired my old guy due to hock arthritis! UGH. If it's not better tomorrow I'll call the vet. I am hoping it's something mild he did in the field. For tonight I asked for private turnout to be safe.

Anyone have an experience like this and it resolved with some rest?

if hes in then deep beds it will prevent hock elboww and hip sores dont relay on mats alone as it hard surface

so deep beds and banked side this also prevents a horse from getting cast

He doesn't use a stall. He is field boarded, out 24/7.

I suspect he's jammed it up somehow and given it a wrench. I'd get the vet to take a look if he were mine.

Is it a capped hock? You can Google for image examples...

if in doubt call a vet it could be lots of things

Is he developing a curb?

i have one that the vet is coming back out to ultra sound with same issue -vet initially said give it a little bit of time and that there was a large tendon/ligament that goes across the back of the hock that can get inflamed--as we have x rays we know that is not the bone causing swelling but that it is soft tissue. Mine has gone down in some swelling but still a pocket/bubble in the hollow mostly on outside but also inside. Another COTHer suggested it might be bog spavin forming-which I think I agree after i thought perhaps it was a thoroughpin.I am sure vet will have the answer. I have examined many pictures of hocks on line and still would fail a pony club test on hind leg lameness I think. From what I read I think we have to hope it is a bog spavin not bone spavin, although it sounds like thoroughpins are also mostly cosmetic. (Always hoping for the lesser of several evils.) Good luck!

Thanks everyone - it doesn't look like a capped hock. Barn owner reported he was playing/running like crazy with the other horses Sun. evening when she returned from a show. I will update on how he is today. If no improvement will definitely take him in to the clinic. Fingers crossed!