The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Recommend a New Cat Litter?

Hello all!

I have three cats that are mostly indoor (supervised outdoor time only), and I've been looking for a new litter for about 6 months now. Wondering if any out there have found one they really like? I used to use Feline Fresh and LOVED it until it started to get really dusty and not clump well. Switched to Nature's Miracle corncob, which wasn't so bad except it's a really small bag so not economic and doesn't clump well either. Then I tried Worlds Best Litter which was not even the Villages Best Litter imo. Then, to Fresh4Life, which clumps well and is a decent size bag, but holy cow...SMELLS! Doesn't do anything to help with the smell! It might actually amplify the fact that there are 3 cats and when I scoop it, my eyes actually burn from the urine smell.

My requirements would be:
    -good smell absorption, especially since I have a 117 year old house with no subfloor. My house can get damp on its own being so old, don't need the litter to add to it!
    -corncob or pine preferred, no clay, newspaper, or those little white crystals
    -decent size bag since I have 3 boxes
    -clumps!

And, it's not just me that seems this picky...it's them!

Love to hear any ones you love!

Thanks!
    FF

The World's Best Cat Litter. It's awesome. I have four cats and three lititer boxes. It comes in a multiple cat formula too, that;'s the one I use.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I like Yesterday's News when I can find it....paper based, can just take and dump it out in the field or on the manure pile.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Can you get Woody Pet? I love it. It's a crumbly version of wood pellets like you could use in a stall but it's not pellets. It's much cheaper than clay litter, biodegradable, no smell.

Quote Originally Posted by FourFaults View Post
    My requirements would be:
    -good smell absorption, especially since I have a 117 year old house with no subfloor. My house can get damp on its own being so old, don't need the litter to add to it!
    -corncob or pine preferred, no clay, newspaper, or those little white crystals
    -decent size bag since I have 3 boxes
    -clumps!
    This fits most of your requirements, I think (it is sodium bentonite clay though)....

Do you have a Petco anywhere near you? Their store brand is absolutely fantastic -- the best clumping stuff I have ever found. My adult cat always pees in the same spot in her box -- between the clean out in the morning and when I get home at night, there's a good-sized ball of urine in one corner. I can scoop that out without it falling apart where most litters I've used in the past didn't absorb it fully and turned into a mess. It's also held up very well when I've been away and she had to go without a daily clean for a couple of days.

It's also low dust and doesn't track unless you have a real sand castle builder and a low-sided box. And since they have it in bulk, you can bring back the first container you buy and refill for a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    The World's Best Cat Litter. It's awesome. I have four cats and three lititer boxes. It comes in a multiple cat formula too, that;'s the one I use.
    I tried this stuff and couldn't get over the smell. It smelled like vomit. My cat hated it and after a week of protests and guerrilla peeing on the bathmat and in the laundry basket, he finally had enough and popped a squat ON ME while I was lying in bed. Be forewarned World's Best Cat Litter is not the best for all cats. And, it's $$$ and their customer service sucks. Every bag says 100% satisfaction guaranteed. I couldn't get them to respond for nothing and my tractor supply wouldn't take the stuff back so I tossed a $20 bag of unused cat litter.

The PetCo house little might be regional, because I found it terrible. Poor clumping and super dusty.

We use Precious Cat Ultra and it's fabulous. No dust, hard clumps, no smell. It is clay, though. FWIW, a cat behaviorist I consulted when I was having some troubles with my kitties recommended it. She ONLY recommended clay based litters and said in her experience, most cats did not like the "alternative" substances nearly as much.

I use Swheat Scoop. Litterbox is in the spare bathroom, I just scoop up the clumps and dump everything into the toilet and flush. The litter is wheat-based and all natural. My two cats really like it. It is somewhat dusty, but it clumps well and contains smell nicely (but I also buy Arm & Hammer deodorizing powder and sprinkle a little of that in the litter every couple of days - no smell).

It's not nearly as expensive as World's Best and comes in a very large bag (I only buy the 14-lb ones, but i've seen the massive bags at the store).

Another fan of World's Best Cat Litter. If you're getting that strong a smell and you're scooping daily, then you may want to bed the catbox with deeper litter. Also, litterbox odorous in my house became negligible with the switch to canned/raw food.

I second the Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat. I do the blue bag (multi-cat) when I'm fostering, otherwise I use the red bag (classic). http://www.preciouscat.com/product/ultra/

It's worth checking the website- they occasionally have $5 off coupons.

I live in a tiny studio, so I needed unscented as I can't stand the scented kind in such a small space. It's much less dusty than a lot of the litters out there too, which is nice.

I tried the Swheatscoop, but unfortunately my cat decided it was tasty and started eating it. I discovered after I bought it that some cats like the taste- at least my mentally-challenged kitty wasn't the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by ASBJumper View Post
    I use Swheat Scoop. Litterbox is in the spare bathroom, I just scoop up the clumps and dump everything into the toilet and flush. The litter is wheat-based and all natural. My two cats really like it. It is somewhat dusty, but it clumps well and contains smell nicely (but I also buy Arm & Hammer deodorizing powder and sprinkle a little of that in the litter every couple of days - no smell).
    Arm and Hammer makes an all natural cat litter that I really like-it clumps well and smells good; I tried the Swheat scoop and it clumped and stuck like cement to the box.
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

I use Equine Pine as cat litter. I have 6 litterboxes in the house and a bag lasts me about a week. I just dump everything out completely 3x weekly. It absorbs smell really well and it eonomical

I picked up a box of Arm and Hammer double duty last month and I LOVE IT!
    Smells good, does not track, clumps great, and Tristan approves.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I picked up a box of Arm and Hammer double duty last month and I LOVE IT!
    Smells good, does not track, clumps great, and Tristan approves.
    The "feces/urine odor" one? Just got that, and it works great with 3.5 cats (the two small ones don't quite equal the big fat one, so I say I have 3.5 instead of four.) REALLY keeps the odor down. I get it scattered on the floor, but that's because my cats think they're excavating to the center of the earth when they bury.

With Swheat Scoop, I found there was a very powdery dust with it, and it didn't do as good a job at killing odor as the non-flushable types. Same for Feline Pine (which they also seem more reluctant about going in.)

ARM & HAMMER hands down!!!!!

I had to switch to swheat scoop because the rabbit and cat share a box (and the rabbit will eat the litter sometimes). Its ok if you clean it twice daily. Probably not great for multiple cats, as you have to keep the box fairly full to prevent the clumps from stiking to the box. Benefit is its flushable and I find it to contain the urine odor half decent.

Otherwise, for multiple cats (and no bunnies) I would go with the Arm and Hammer, its amazing...no smell, clumps great and even though it will track it seems to not make it too far from the litter boxes It might be clay based, but man...so worth it. I used to live with 5 cats (yep, crazy) and two litter boxes were plenty with the arm and hammer!!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    The "feces/urine odor" one? Just got that, and it works great with 3.5 cats (the two small ones don't quite equal the big fat one, so I say I have 3.5 instead of four.) REALLY keeps the odor down. I get it scattered on the floor, but that's because my cats think they're excavating to the center of the earth when they bury.

YUP! the feces/urine odor one. My cat's box is in my living space. (I have a 500 sq ft apt). Its less than 4 feet from my couch, and I cannot smell it. AND it does not get dusty.

Another vote for the Arm and Hammer Essentials Multicat litter. I don't think it's clay, as it breaks down quite nicely when we toss it out. Just researched, it's corn fibers, not clay. We have 3 cats and 4 litter boxes, cleaned 1x/day, no smell. Used Feline Pine and Swheat Scoop in the past, the A&H particles are heavier so they don't track as bad as the previous 2 mentioned. Although I do have one cat that seems to think she has a shot at the shot put the way she slings it out of the box... it could be the thumbs at work.

I've found it at TSC and Wal Mart.

I love arm and hammer multicat even though I only have one cat. Great for odor control.

World's Best smells like moldy corn to me and both the dog and cat kept eating eat. It might work well but the odor and litter eating meant that it only survived a day or two at my house.

I buy Arm & Hammer as well - I'm not too fussy about "formula" as long as I can get the unscented or fragrance free kinds - the perfumed versions give me headaches. (Fortunately, His Big Dumb Fluffiness is happy as long as it's Arm & Hammer - he threw a MAJOR piss-fit when I attempted to switch to Worlds Best, so changing brands is not an option in our house!) Clumps really well, odor control is really good (cat box is on the way to my bedroom, so I notice), and it's not dusty at all. His Fluffiness slings a bit of it around, but that's his fault, not the litter's.

Unfortunately, for the OP, it is clay based.

I use Arm and Hammer Essentials Multi-Cat Natural Clumping litter. The front of the bag says "Baking Soda + Natural plant ingredients + Feces odor neutralizers". It is made from corn fibers.

It comes in an 18 lb bag - I have 2 cats (2 boxes), and I only buy a bag every 3 months or so. Very little waste with this product. On the front of the bag, the lower left corner says it equals 30 lbs of clumping clay litter - based on how often I buy litter, I believe it. With 3 boxes, you might want to start out with 2 bags as the recommended depth is 3-4".

Even my litter-box-adverse female will use the box with this litter.

This is what the bag looks like: http://www.armandhammer.com/pet-care...ng-litter.aspx
    Last edited by tarynls; Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo