The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinion: Brown coat, brown boots, cream or white?

I have dark brown boots and am looking at getting a Mocha with Cognac accents Cavallo coat to match. What do you guys think on pants/saddlepad/shirt etc... Cream or white? I always thought cream but it's kinda hard to find. I did find a pair of white with a brown seat Cavallo pants though that would be cute with the coat I think.

Cream, definitely cream! Sounds gorgeous!

You're actually describing a version of my first hunter outfit - brown Pychley with brown velvet points, cordovan field boots, cream...actually light canary britches, and a Lock and Co. brown velvet hunt cap

I still have the boots and the Lock hunt cap, but both my feet and my head have expanded since 1975
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Cream was my first hope and dream. I'm wondering though how hard it will be to get the pants, saddle pad, stock tie etc to match? I GUESS I could always have a cream set and a white set! All the white stuff is usually a dime a dozen anyway.

Cream IMHO would be best.

Wow, I would love to see this. Do you have brown tack? I have been hoping for a brown renaissance... but maybe that is being too matchy-matchy?

My opinion - definitely cream as opposed to white. The shirt/stock wouldn't have to be an exact match of the jodhs or pad. As long as they are not clashing. I almost wonder if you could get away with a coffee or cafe au lait coloured pad. (Too matchy-matchy? )
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

cream would be lovely with the brown. I love cream with a dark navy, too. Just softer and more feminine.

Photos when you get it all together!

I really want cream so I may try to make that happen even though it may be challenging! Here is the coat (note: that is NOT the price I've been quoted on it!) and if you click on the brown color swatch it will change the color in the photo: http://www.divoza.com/english/collec...ct-rijjas.html

Okay, so lets assume I can procure all the other items I need in a nice cream color... What do you guys think of the Charles Owen GR8 in brown solid or brown with a tan center? I currently have the brown Tipperary but I don't think that's fancy enough.

No, no brown tack (though my saddle that I have in Germany that a friend is holding hostage has faded enough that it could appear to be brown). I'll be riding a friend's horse and he's dark bay and his tack is black. I would love brown though! And a liver chestnut with bling GP schoolmaster while we're at it!

Cream for sure. I have a navy coat, canary (more like buttermilk) breeches and pad outfit that works well. You can have a modest gold accent with the pad/jacket piping and it looks fab.

But make sure the shade of brown on the various elements, and the shade of cream on the others is the same shade. I have seen one too many pics of say a navy blue coat and helmet but the blues don't match at all. Or red-brown boots and ash-brown jacket.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

go with solid brown/brown for the helmet. Like Xanthoria mentioned, too many shades will throw it off. If you can't match the trin on the coat, you could always have a new collar and pocket accents put on that match what you find or match the coat.

Quote Originally Posted by WarumNicht View Post
    Cream was my first hope and dream. I'm wondering though how hard it will be to get the pants, saddle pad, stock tie etc to match? I GUESS I could always have a cream set and a white set! All the white stuff is usually a dime a dozen anyway.
    I would contact Andrea at Dameron Enterprises if you want to have stock tie and saddlepad which match or are the same shade. She could probably match to cream breeches. Her stock ties hide your shirt so that color won't matter - go with something comfy to wear under your coat or without coat/tie should coats be waived and you choose that option.

I think your idea sounds lovely, and love the idea of cream. I've been thinking with my new chesnut when we get around to showing I'd love to show her in brown...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Absolutely cream! A decade+ ago when we did a lot of videoing here in the NE, Bill Warren showed in navy with cream - OMG - breathtakingly gorgeous!
    And brown??? Oh YEAH!!!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Cream… and photos for us all to drool over when you're done getting this magnificence together!!!

Definitely cream, but I am not a fan of that coat. The contrasting colors on the collar and pockets make it look very 70's harvest gold. It's giving me flashbacks to junior high. A matching brown would be much classier, IMO.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Here are my brown outfits...

Light brown jacket, with cream/tan breeches/pad, black boots - brown tack on horse...
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04353142_n.jpg
    I liked this jacket until I paired it with the tan breeches. :/

Dark brown jacket, white breeches, cream pad, brown boots, brown tack
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...36779332_n.jpg

I personally liked the white breeches better than tan/cream with both my jackets.

I think my helmet is the one you're talking about, I think it would look smashing with that jacket.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The buttons don't go with the brown. You'd need to replace them with brass or copper; silver just isn't right. Brass would go better with the collar.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I show in black and cream/champagne (black coat, boots, tack with cream breeches, stock tie, gloves and saddle pad). It was a bit of a pain to procure all the items but it is totally doable. When I found the right gloves and pad I bought two of each for backup. Your creams must match to look good, especially the breeches and saddle pad as they are close. Also don't forget the gloves!

I get tons of compliments at the shows! I figure if I can't win I'll at least look good (thankfully we have been doing well this year too...maybe it is due to switching from white to cream)

I bought the following items:

breeches:
    http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Pikeur_Mondega.html

saddle pad (it has black trim though, so may not work for you):
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=25994

or you could try these saddle pads and pick your colors:
    http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/To...ads-P5395.aspx

stock tie:
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...l.asp?KEY=5977

gloves:
    http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/2190301.html

Some of these are from overseas companies which I bought my stuff from. You may be able to source the breeches and gloves here thoug too.

I have the Galathea jacket - in wool and in a subtle stripe.
    I got both white and cream to go with it (breeches/saddle pad/stock tie)
    I ended up going with white - since my chestnut pony has all sorts of white on him - the cream looked bad.
    I wear a Charles Owen Wellington in brown velvet.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...Weekend213.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...Weekend196.jpg
    RoseLane Sportponies
    Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion & 2014 USDF Horse of the Year
    Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion
    Petit Marc Aurel- FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

I agree with everyone else . . . cream would be lovely. I saw someone ages and ages ago riding in the brown and cream. She had gold tone buckles on her bridle and stirrups. The whole effect was simply stunning. I usually can't remember what people are wearing 15 minutes ago, so this particular rider must have really impressed me!

Definitely cream.

I'd posted before (back in the spring) about trying to put together a similar ensemble, but since we're barely showing I've put it off for a year. I do have the cream pad and a champagne show shirt and cream stock tie with a very subtle textured print and a hint of gold, but that is as far as things got. Bought a navy pinstripe coat when I couldn't find a brown one to fit me, and am going to sell it as it is very unflattering, so I've gone back to using my RJ Classics coat, which is black but slightly faded to dark navy. Use black boots, a black velvet helmet cover for my Tipperary, a black saddle, and very dark brown bridle with white padding. Breeches either light tan or white (the white fit better) and that's another thing put off to next season.

This is all for my dark palomino mare. Just using a cream pad instead of white looks a lot better on her. Her mane and tail are not white, but a mix of cream, gold, and black, so a white pad just makes it look like her mane and tail are dirty.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"
    2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine "What do I do with you, Baby J?"

I have a really dark chocolate coat that I love with crisp white. I think brown and cream together can look a little muddy unless the cream has a lot of yellow undertones, and then you can have the problem of the yellow undertones being unflattering to a lot of skin tones.

Anxiously awaiting my new coat, which is navy with a bronze collar. Ordered it from Amira in July and it still hasn't shipped, but as I don't plan to show until next year, I guess I'll live. Bought the IRH Elite EQ helmet in navy to go with the coat. Love it, I hope it matches the coat!

Have decided to get a custom mattes pad in white/white with navy binding and bronze and brown piping, so I can use it with either the navy or the brown coat. My next big splurges will be brown boots and a brown helmet. , but can't justify this until I actually get to a few shows. Meanwhile I'll just wear it with black boots and helmet I guess.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/