The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Flap Measurements?

I recently went to Bevals to be fitted for a saddle. The Beval and BZ Natural seemed to fit the best, but I want to go used and would consider different brands as well.

The woman mentioned that the flap on the BZ and Beval were 15"- did she mean width or length?

Also, does anybody know of any brands which have the same flap measurements? Any for sale?

Thanks!

Most often, people refer to length when talking about measurements. However, that would be a really long flap. What size seat are we talking about?

Side note-just ordered a BZ Natural

I just realized it was a size 2 flap which I think they said converted to 15"... and a 16" seat

That seems extremely long to me - for reference, my 16" Butet with a 1 flap was 13" long. My friend's is a 17" with a 2 flap and I believe hers is 14". My current Childeric is a 17" with a 2 3/4 flap (forward) is under 13". When I was shopping, at least, the average 16/16.5" saddle had a 13" flap unless you had one that specifically long or short.

Lots of used saddle websites will list dimensions for you. CWD, highendusedsaddles.com, and Maryland Tack Exchange all list lengths right on their websites.

flap measurement is generally a vertical measurement from the stirrup bar to the bottom of the flap.