The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brag and Frustration

As many of you know, I've been looking for a schoolmaster for almost 2 years.

Finally, two months ago I bought a horse and ended up lucking out. I thought I bought a calm and patience, correct but not flashy teacher. It ends up he is as patient and kind as I had hoped AND now that he is getting in shape, he can REALLY move. He is unexpectedly my horse of a lifetime.

But here's the catch - he is EASY EASY EASY but SO EXHAUSTING!! We can pirouette, piaffe, etc. BUT I can only ride about 5 good minutes and then am flopping all over his back and pulling on his face. I HATE the way I am riding him! I really need to catch up with him and get in better shape but I don't know how. Has anyone had this happen before? What did you do?!

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

OMG, yes. I thought I was good, until I found my dear schoolmaster. Save yourself some time, admit you really know nothing, and allow your schoolmaster to show you the way. You will be thankful in the end.

Congratulations on finding your "lifetime" partner thats soo cool! I dont have anything like a schoolmaster but we have 'gotten' fit together and I still feel badly that I will probably never be able to give him the ride he deserves(I suffer from I think to much syndrome)! I just do the best I can and try to enjoy every moment of it--and he is teaching me loads! It can be a little overwhelming I think when they give 110% every time.

Do P90X Ab ripper X 3 days a week (here's a fan video), and a cardio exercise where you get in your THR for 40 minutes (I bike) and after 8 weeks you should be good to go
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Petstore J is right - you can't get fit enough to ride well without exercising off your horse! Find some kind of routine that will help you build up some core strength and stamina, and probably flexibility as well. And congrats on finding such a wonderful horse!

I had to hire a personal trainer. My dressage trainer said I was not strong enough to put on the half halts required in the PSG test. So despite having a horse who was an I1 schoolmaster, I wasn't going to be able to get the job done unless I addressed my fitness. 14 months after starting to work out I was going down the centerline at PSG.

I am still doing 3 one hour sessions a week and my riding continues to improve. I am a tall, skinny girl and I hate to work out, but it is a necessary evil.

Try the "Success in the Saddle" DVD set with Debbie Rodriguez. The set has 3 DVDs with two workouts on each.
    DR worked with a fitness pro to design the program that is specific to riders' strength and flexability needs. They are hard, but all the routines have a modified version to help you get started.
    If you get bored, she just released a fourth DVD with amped up routines. Ow!
    They really do work, though. My coach noticed a difference & I didin't tell her I was working out. I'd say it took about 6 weeks before I noticed anything, but my coach saw it before that. Good luck with whatever you choose, you'll be really happy you got fit enough to learn all your nice horse has to teach!
    Last edited by Hej; Aug. 20, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: SPELLING!!!!