The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default cleaning stall fans?

I have this fan hooked up at the top of my horses' stalls, and I'm looking for thoughts as to how to clean it and the best/safest way to remove all of the dust, hay, and cobwebs.

Or should I even be worried about it? It seems like an accumulation of dust would be a big fire hazard.

The same question applies to the outlets in which they're plugged.

We have individual fans in each stall at our barn; they are stainless steel, maybe 18" in diameter. They are unplugged and taken down maybe 3 times/yr to be cleaned (soap and water, outside) . They are also periodically tackled w/ a vacuum while still mounted. (unplug, and requires a ladder...)

Not only is there some potential fire hazard, but they are more efficient and efffective when clean.

Not sure what you're asking re the outlets...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I use the box fans on a very rare basis but just take them down and turn the hose on them. I might do it once through the summer and definitely come about mid Sept they come down and get put away. Just about every time I do turn the fans on, the horses just walk out of the stalls and go back to pasture so if I turn them on a dozen times through the summer, that's alot.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I usually take mine down at least once a year and spray them off with a hose to get all of the accumulated dirt and spiderwebs off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Not sure what you're asking re the outlets...
    I mean the outlets also gather dust/cobwebs. How do you remove the dust from them? I assume that taking a hose to them is probably not the safest thing to do.

As for the fans; thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure if water was a good idea. I do life in the deep south, where nothing seems to dry in a timely fashion. Perhaps I have to leave them for an extra day or so just to make certain.

I put the power blower on them several times a week while doing aisles.
    Late fall they come down, grills come off we blow them out really well wipe down blade wash grills put in individual garbage bags and store in loft...Hose never...when I did it the fans all died next use...

I have the same 4 of the same fans. They work great but I also worry about dust getting inside. You can try blowing them clean with a leaf blower.

I'm going to try to replace mine soon (with enclosed motor fans) even though they aren't that old. Watching the sales.

YES! Definitely keep your fan clean.

In general, cobwebs & dust increase risk of fire. If you can keep on top of it with just a broom, do it. If it is past that, a shop vac or even a power washer. It also looks & feels better to have a clean barn.

My dad was anal about this in our barn. Once a week, "cobwebbing" with a broom. to get the corners of my stall I would sit on the horse. He grew up in dairy barn & milk inspector did not allow buildup.

I hose my box fans at the end of the season before storage with thought that--if they don't work after cleaning, it's a good investment to buy a new, clean one anyway, right? I have been doing this for maybe 20 years (ack! I'm old!) and have not had one quit from hosing yet. I do replace them if they start looking at all ratty. I have plain old box fans ($20, Lasko), though. They look great after hosing and are ready to go after an afternoon in the sun. You can also unscrew the fronts on these and pull out any hay/junk accumulated in the bottom. Not sure if you can do that with yours? If you're not comfortable with hosing, cleaning out the inside if possible and wiping down should help. I'm totally paranoid about keeping them clean too, for the same reasons as you!

To keep the motors from getting dirt in them I put metal strainers over the back of the fan where the motor is with zip ties.

Like this but with out the handle.

http://www.instawares.com/paderno-wo...Fce8Kgodql4AVg

Then cleaning I use a broom sometimes a leaf blower.

I do think taking them down needs to be done when they get really dirty.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Quote Originally Posted by cai View Post
    I hose my box fans at the end of the season before storage with thought that--if they don't work after cleaning, it's a good investment to buy a new, clean one anyway, right? I have been doing this for maybe 20 years (ack! I'm old!) and have not had one quit from hosing yet. I do replace them if they start looking at all ratty. I have plain old box fans ($20, Lasko), though. They look great after hosing and are ready to go after an afternoon in the sun. You can also unscrew the fronts on these and pull out any hay/junk accumulated in the bottom. Not sure if you can do that with yours? If you're not comfortable with hosing, cleaning out the inside if possible and wiping down should help. I'm totally paranoid about keeping them clean too, for the same reasons as you!
    I hose mine down too and have never had a problem.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

I would suggest NOT using water as many parts on a typical box fan will likely start rusting, especially the interior of an electric motor. Just take it down, take a phillips screw driver to the front and back "grills" and remove those. They are plastic and you can take them out side and hose them off while scrubbing with a stiff brush. I use pressurized air on the interior of the fan and the electric motor. It's the motor that you want to clean well as this is what generates heat. I use a portable air tank to do this but you can buy a can of air at many stores and just spray the interior of the motor. Also good for spraying out the interior of desktop computers and sewing machines. An old rang and some Windex or ammonia water will give the rest of the fan and blades a good wipe down. Put the dry grills back on the front/back and rehang it.

chicamuxen

Leafblower on high, blast it from all sides. Hop on ladder and brush off the sticky dust with a grooming brush. Blast with blower once more.

After that just hit it with a leafblower a few times weekly in summer when in use.

Take it down for the winter, clean and put away either in your house or in an airtight, critter proof container.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Use an air compressor to blow out dirt/debris. My hubby works for a computer company, and that's what they do to clean the computer towers.

I spray fans out with a garden hose and let them dry all the time.