The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One day SO's nephew who was in school to become an electrician, says that's not a lot of juice......as he grabs the wire. It was a sight, seeing him jumping, dancing and cursing.

I too have opened my eyes to blue sky, while reclining on the ground, after ducking under a fence.

OUCH! This thread is giving me flashbacks.

A few weeks ago we had a wet morning and I leaned over to turn off the hot wire in my vegetable garden and held on to the metal hose post so I wouldn't slip. The box and the wet metal post created a perfect opportunity to shock the bejeezus out of me. I don't think I will ever forget that feeling.

I was stringing fence this morning, went to hook into the main fence, got zapped again!! Hubby had plugged it back in when he put the horses in. Forgot to tell me... *sigh* I'll never learn, will I??
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I took a stray bit of fence juice right through the forehead once....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Got my armpit last month reaching over a fence for a hose to rinse a trough I had dumped. Lovely way to start a morning. Darn thing actually left a mark and slight funny feeling for a couple hours.

Dang, it's always funnier than heck when someone else gets zapped.

I got shocked several times over the course of one day while cleaning out waterers in paddocks when I was young. I scooped the water out away from me, toward the electric fence, and the electricity would travel up the water to my wet (and very cold - it was winter) hands. Holy cow, did that hurt! Dang, I was a slow learner that day...
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I had what I hope is my one and only encounter with wire. I was doing carrot stretches with my horse and took a step back, and the back of my head hit the wire. Zapped me so hard I dropped the carrots I was holding...ouch!

Better my head than the girls, though...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

It had just rained and it was muddy and slippery outside, so of course, I leaned through the fence to do something??. Next thing I know I was slipping and hit my lip on the electric fence on the way down. So not only did I feel like I got kicked in the face by a mule, I was covered in mud as well...sigh
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I have been shocked a couple of times, but the worst was when I touched a large metal gate with both hands, thinking I could reach over and unhook the electric strand strung across the inside. Yea, the wire was actually touching the gate.

I felt that shock in my heels.

When I was younger I was known to say "I really don't think the fence is on. Let me check....." and touch it with my hand. Zap.

This happened more than once I am ashamed to admit. Apparently I'm a slow learner.

Worst one I ever had was when I went to put a mare back in her pasture (I hadn't brought her up). It was dark and raining. I opened the gate, took one step through, and bam!!! woke up flat on my back several feet away. Some one had put a hot wire across the gate and not told me. I walked right into it with my forehead while my feet were in a puddle. I never realized they were strong enough to toss you!!!

Hope you're feeling better!

My fiance knew I had been working on the hot wire all day once with it turned off... Let's just say he later turned it back on without telling me just to see how loud I could scream
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I better knock on wood because I've been around electric fences for as long as I can remember and have yet to get zapped! Then again I always ask if the fence is on, and I'm little so I can easily army-crawl under the bottom strand without worrying about touching it.

Emily