The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on trailer choices....ready to buy, but......

I went to pick up a Featherlite that I had found on horsetrailerworld, but there was corrosion through the aluminum floor. Because the lady had specifically told me there were not any issues with the floor, it was a deal breaker for me. (Because not only was there a small hole in the floor, I obviously couldn't trust her about anything else regarding the history/maintenance of the trailer.)

So, here are some choices I can afford. I'd love any thoughts/opinions/experiences. I want a 3-4 horse, dressing room adequate for camping, dh wants a/c, I'd like an awning. I'd prefer a door from dr to horse area, mostly for the dogs when we are camping.

http://www.horseclicks.com/ads_view.php?id=233222

http://exissusedhorsetrailerdealer.c....asp?ID=403837

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221103456735...84.m1438.l2649

http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/3098418569.html

I personally like the rear tack option so my dressing room isn't cluttered up with tack AND camping stuff.

Right now I don't have a gooseneck setup like this (I have a BP with a dressing room and its stock-type in the back, 2 H slant). However, when my barn is paid off, I'll be in the market for a new trailer, and I'm getting a gooseneck with a rear tack.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

The '98 Sooner appears to be overpriced. The others seem fine but keep in mind that A/C does not help a whole lot if your living quarters are not insulated. You will have condensation dripping on you all night.

A walk thru door is a necessity in my book, I will be adding one to my 2000 Sooner this fall. A rear tack compartment is also pretty convenient; unfortunately most stock trailers do not have that option.

The Trail Et looks like the one that meets everyone's needs. If you can get there to examine before all is due, I'd do that and maybe do some asking of the buyer beforehand to ensure that you can ...

I bought my dually off of eBay and it was a great deal, so I'm not put off by large items on eBay.

Have you tried Horsetrailerworld?

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    The '98 Sooner appears to be overpriced. The others seem fine but keep in mind that A/C does not help a whole lot if your living quarters are not insulated. You will have condensation dripping on you all night.

A walk thru door is a necessity in my book, I will be adding one to my 2000 Sooner this fall. A rear tack compartment is also pretty convenient; unfortunately most stock trailers do not have that option.
    If I get one that is not insulated, that will be my first change.

What does it cost, approximately, to add a walk through door?

Quote Originally Posted by CA ASB View Post
    The Trail Et looks like the one that meets everyone's needs. If you can get there to examine before all is due, I'd do that and maybe do some asking of the buyer beforehand to ensure that you can ...

I bought my dually off of eBay and it was a great deal, so I'm not put off by large items on eBay.

Have you tried Horsetrailerworld?
    It's in the same area as most of the others, and I have talked w/ the owner. I actually didn't find it on ebay originally.

I think I'm losing my vision from starting at horsetrailerworld.com. It may be that there are too many choices!

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    If I get one that is not insulated, that will be my first change.

What does it cost, approximately, to add a walk through door?
    I spoke with Sundowner of Texas this spring to price a door. I cannot remember what the actual price as but shipping is a lot also. For some reason I think it was like $275 for the door and $200 for shipping.

That's not too bad - I guess it has to be brand specific. Then, you just pretty much have someone cut the hole and install?

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    That's not too bad - I guess it has to be brand specific. Then, you just pretty much have someone cut the hole and install?
    Nope does not have to be brand specific at all, my previous trailer was a Sundowner bumper pull and they just happen to have great customer service and offer a variety of miscellaneous parts.

Sundowner has doors in several different sizes. It kind of depends on your frame (metal bars inside your trailer). Have your installer look at it before you order. Some people use RV doors but I want something designed with horses in mind.

If you read the Horse Trailer World forum there are some threads about walk-thru doors. Also some great threads on DIY living quarters that might be helpful.