The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 98 of 224 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 4466
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway View Post
    I thought Redwine looked a little stout too! But maybe the camera is just adding some pounds.

What does "IR" stand for?
    I don't know either (what "IR" stands for) but having seen Redwine at Thermal - he was stout then - to me - a type of Rotspon - heavy on top, short legs - big bodied. Not saying not a great cross for a particular mare -just reporting in
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

IR = Insulin Resistant.

Yes, stallions have big necks/crests...I know, I have stallions.

But his crest is fatty, looks hard and he has the telltale muffin butt.

My stallion, Boleem developed IR when he was about 24 yrs. old. Dreadful. RW's neck looks much worse than his did. And Bo didn't get much of the fat pads elsewhere.

Kinda good he has no access to grass. She's got a lot of hoof on him as well. Not sure that's related or paying for a farrier.

BTW, I think the other stallion looks a little "light". Typically they are heavily muscled and I can see his hip angle a bit too easily. Too dark to see if there are ribs. He's not bad though, but he should have a nice full rump.
    Last edited by sid; Sep. 26, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typos...too fast.

Dianehalpin...I didn't really study his feet, just that he was long.

Rings+IR almost always equal laminitis.

3Dogs...Boleem was also "stout", but not a real heavy type.

Often it is the stout, easy keepers that develop this later in life.

Google his earlier photos and compare the crest. His is now a massive chunk of grotesque fat where he did not have it before -- which is a big, big sign of IR. If he is not foundering, yet it's only a matter of time before he does unless she is managing it. I did. The rings may have been mild cases gone unnoticed. Who knows?

Years ago Edgar, who posts here, I discussed the issue of IR and stallions when I was so distraught about Bo. Pilot, Secretariat and other notables he mentioned were afflicted later in life...and cost them their lives. No proof, but Edgar seemed to think they are more prone.

They do not look nearly as good as they did when I visited last spring. I agree that Redwine is IR looking. Very sad.

EEK, and from the other photos posted earlier , it looks like they are fed sweetfeed. sigh.

Thanks Sid

as a MD I interpret this to mean they have become Type 2 diabetics. WOW - that is a sorry state of affairs
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    Thanks Sid

as a MD I interpret this to mean they have become Type 2 diabetics. WOW - that is a sorry state of affairs
    Yes, and where do most diabetics first begin to have problems? With circulation in the feet, horses are no different.

You guys were speculating that the horses weren't being fed and now you are complaining that they are too fat?

Redwine IS too fat and it appears a lot like founder in his feet. What is interesting to me is that my Redwine filly looks to be trying to head in a similar direction. She's only getting a handful of grain now with supplements but is prettily round. I can really see some similarities, though, especially in the tiny throatlatch, in spite of the weight problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    You guys were speculating that the horses weren't being fed and now you are complaining that they are too fat?
    Laurie...People have talked about the MARES that apparently hoarded and foals in poor shape...but the stallions and their shape not really a topic till now!

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

The key word here is mismanagement.

Regardless if they are too skinny or IR. The horses are not being taken care of properly.

Are they starving? No. But, being under nourished can cause growth and soundness issues in the young ones she is selling, and being overweight can also cause lameness. So this does effect future owners of these horses.

Bottom line is she needs to take care of all her outstanding bills, and sell the horses then get some help.

It is too bad all this has happened but regardless is it is a mental problem or not she needs to be responsible for her actions.

I think Romantic Star looks underweight and with not conditioning.

Redwine looks seriously fat. There is a big difference between the look of a stallion that is "fit" from being in work and competing. I would be concerned about how much fat he has and the neck situation does give me concern about IR.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Wowza! RW looks way too big! He has never looked like that, and I have seen him plenty in person. His back even looks dippy maybe because of his huge a$$ and neck. I had heard that all horses except 2 stallions had been moved, this was a few weeks ago. Funny about what Diane and Laurie say about thier fillies, because mine has a big neck too, and could easily head that direction if not managed.

3dogs...yes. Pretty much the equivalent to Type II diabetes.

I've had several horses with this affliction over the years. There is no "fault" here -- it is not "caused" by the level of care. It is metabolic condition. But once they show the signs management of them is key. Tons of threads on the Horse Care forum. I've seen enough IR horses (and managed them as well) to see the more than obvious signs in RW.

Illona...thanks for the good eye one other one that looks underweight, though not badly so.

Looks like these guys need more astute management, for sure.

Neither stallion has a sparkle in their eye. They look "removed" from feeling vibrant.

i take it Jill doesn't work her horses? It is shame that Redwine's weight isn't being managed and he isn't being exercised.

Oh, and wow... a Jill spotting in that album. IMG 1202, that's her standing next to Redwine. Redwine looks a lot worse than when I saw him a few years ago.

Interesting. I wasnt quite "getting" what you were referring to until I looked at Image 1205. Its not the fact that RW is a stallion with a typically cresty neck - but its that hard ridge of "something" that runs right up his neck that looks like a huge deposit that doesnt belong there

Those photos make me sad. Agree that neither stallion has a sparkle in his eye. Neither do they appear to be getting much exercise. And Redwine definitely looks like an IR horse - fat, cresty, and he is getting a sagging topline. He sort of reminds me of a fat pony. And the rings on his hooves would indeed make me suspect a laminitic condition.