The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 76 of 224 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 4466

Default Friend's Redwine Colt/opinion of GFF's Jill Burnell, etc.

A close aquaintence of mine purchased a 2011 Redwine colt in-utero. Her name is listed on the website, under the "congratulations" link. Obviously, I am not going to mention who.

Before I go any further, I am not going to express ANY opinion of Jill Burnell OR GFF, since I do not know her personally. Therefore, I am only going to speak of what I know from this person's experience.

1.) Said aquaintence decided she was going to purchase a GFF baby after viewing GFF website, come hell or high water. Knowing NOTHING of breeding and very little of warmbloods (other than knowing they are the latest and greatest fads of the english disciplines) she immediately began to believe that all offspring from GFF was the best of the best, when it came to purchasing a hunter prospect. She saw the USEF stats, the fancy website, the prof. photos of stallions, broodmares, foals, etc.) and was INSTANTLY hooked.

2.) Coming from a blue-collar, poor family, while trying to catch-ride her way to the top of a very snobby, exclusive, small-minded equine community she came to the conclusion that purchasing a well-bred wb would be the only way she could gain any respect in such an elitest environment.

3.) With all this being said she decided that the only way to accomplish these goals, with the budget of under $10,000 was to purchase a baby in-utero from GFF. She did just this, which takes us to present day......

Its been over a year and I STILL have yet to hear how this baby is doing. I never heard ANYTHING regarding the delivery of the baby, how its doing now, if it met her expectations, what her current plans are, where shes boarding it, etc. This is VERY strange, considering this girl was VERY vocal (often to a tacky fault) about any of her equine endevors, that she considered to be successful. This leads me to believe that something may have gone wrong. I just e-mailed her a couple mins. ago, asking how everything is going with her GFF colt, after I read this thread. I mentioned nothing about this thread; I simply asked how things were.

I will soon find out what her experience was like. Depending on what she says will, most likely, help me develop a more concrete opinion. Until then, from what I've gathered, (keeping in mind I have a life, which does NOT allow me time to sit here for hours, reading all 76 pages of this thread) this is my opinion....

1.) Clearly, this woman has some AWESOME stallions, broodmares and foals.

2.) Clearly, she has been successful with these horses, despite whatever shitty things shes done to people. Does it make it fair? Absolutely not. success is def. not always fair. Will she get her just-deserts? maybe...who knows? Will she continue to be successful? Who knows...

3.) Has Jill done more bad then good in the equine industry? Probably...but again, who knows???

4.) Will Jill continue to.....
    -Rip people off?
    -Hoard?
    -Not provide adequate facilties for animals and/or humans?
    Again, Probably....but who knows???

5.) Is there any part of these accusations that may be false and/or exagerated? Probably...but again, who knows??

6.) Is there any part of these accusations that may be true and/or way too understated? Probably....but again, who knows???

See the pattern here??? IN THE END, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS!!!!!

Again, I am neither demonizing nor defending.

I'm pretty sure even the OP SIN cannot ultimately make the final call. The SIN did what she felt she had to do, from an ethical standpoint. However, right or wrong she may be.

So, where do I stand on all of this???

Right now, I'm not sure. Like I said, once I hear back from this acquaintence of mine, I will probably draw a better conclusion. HOWEVER, in the end, what I think only matters to ME. And what YOU think should only matter to YOU.

Those who felt they had reason enough to alert and prevent others from dealing with Jill have already made their warnings clear. Its now up to the consumer and others who have already bought/sold from/to to do their own investigation.

My point in posting this is I think forums have a tendency to get too dramatic and gossipy. Think and decide for yourself. Don't go by what a bunch of people on an internet forum think. THATS PART OF THE REASON THIS PROBLEM EXSISTS RIGHT NOW!

SOO many of you said that GFF's website LOOKED very professional and legit! Therefore, if all these negative things are true then GFF's website (online information) as a source of info., has failed you.

If, you never visit the farm, and the opposite IS true (GFF is actually an ok operation)then gathering your opinions from a website failed you!

Point being...GO CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF! Go visit the farm, meet Jill and the horses in person, etc. By not doing that, I just recently learned all of this the hard way.

You make some good points, ridewithpride. Unfortunately, some people cannot just fly around to farms, so they trust that what they see is what they get. In this day and age of photoshop and other things, maybe we should not trust all those big beautiful farms. Tell you what though, I am currently across the country to go to one of these big beautiful farms and I betcha I will not be disapointed! Why? because I have done my homework. I know what horses they have, that they are currently competing and doing well, and have seen a bunch of candid farm shots of the barns, rings, etc... If you notice, GFF never once has posted farm pictures. Only posed shots done at the neighbors field. And I don't think anyone is overly dramatic, they have just found comfort in others who share there burn stories and therefore have nothing to hold back. Let the truth be told! And let 'er rip!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridewithnopride View Post

IN THE END, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS!!!!!
    Actually, many people really DO know.

Hopefully your friend will have good news to share with you, and then you can share it with us. I mean that sincerely.

But don't be surprised if it turned out badly, and she didn't tell anyone. People have said on this thread that they were embarassed by being conned by GFF, and so never told anyone, until now. Some of those people are contacting Equinedriver with the info.

If your friend's excursion into paying $10K for a GFF inutero foal went badly, and she'd like to do something about it, be a pal and refer her to this thread and Equinedriver.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Runwayz,

Good luck on your trip! Hats off you for making the journey and doing your homework.

You make a good point...you're right. Not all people can just hop on a plane and see for themselves. With my work schedule I am one of those people, and like I said, I have recently learned the hard way from not doing that. This is why it is now my firm belief that if I'm patient enough I will find a good horse locally, from a good breeder, that I can afford to travel and see in person.

Mardi,

I certainly will do just that!

I think this situation also raises a red flag about using some of the USEF "rankings". It makes no sense that there is not a MINIMUM number of offspring to even be considered for the Sire of the Year Award. ONE foal is NOT an acceptable random sampling for any statistical analysis.

The USEF needs to review the process and change the minimum requirements to event be ranked in the Sire or Breeder or whatever categories. These rankings do provide a financial benefit to the owners of the horses ranked and to the breeders themselves. It's a lot of publicity to have the horse or person's name on the website and in publications.

Sadly people just see the few at the top and feel this has some reliable probability for investing in a breeding or offspring. With only a minimum of one - it's a worthless designation.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

The same thing happens with race horse stallions. One big horse can vault them up to the top of the standings. Jill's stallions and the foals they are producing are NOT the problem however. I don't know a single person with one of her foals that isn't thrilled with their animals. They are not worth the risk of dealing with her though as there are many nice stallions with owners who aren't criminals. The standings could never reflect that tidbit no matter how you restricted them.

I totally agree with Ilona on this. It is ridiculous that USEF rankings can be based on the results from only 1 or 2 offspring.

Will also point out that the difference with USEF and race horse rankings is that all the race horses have been parentage verified. Not so with USEF rankings.

I'd ignore ridewithnopride. Please see her latest thread.

To be able to visit a farm... the breeder has to be willing to let you visit... I am not sure this place welcomes people with open arms.

you can , or could, drive right by the "farm" any day of the week. it is a tiny place right next to the road......

i have no clue about the new place.....

I am sure you can DRIVE BY the farm, but go in and visit?

Default RideWithNoPride -- Latest WTF Trainwreck Collision

Why is this thread a black hole pulling together all of the COTH threads and posters that have seriously disturbed me???

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 3, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ridewithnopride View Post
    I think forums have a tendency to get too dramatic and gossipy...

SOO many of you said that GFF's website LOOKED very professional and legit! Therefore, if all these negative things are true then GFF's website (online information) as a source of info., has failed you.
    Bolding mine.

You don't say? Dramatic? Really?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Why is this thread a black hole pulling together all of the COTH threads and posters that have seriously disturbed me???

[edit]
    To clarify, RunWithNoPride 's previous threads of WTF?
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=355189

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=366558

Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 3, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    Yikes! I must say , that I continue to be blindsided by the "fruitbats" that appear on this forum. I am an internet neophyte , I enjoy taking part, here, and on H/H.

I do appreciate the links and "heads up" so I can sort out who is who.

Having read your previous posts on this forum Ummm."Runwithnopride", you cannot with any credibility accuse anyone else of being "dramatic" when you are right up there with the worst,

Of course anyone can post stupid words that are ill considered ( I may have done so myself, though I do try to think before I write) however, being a complete hypocrite just doesn't sit well.

We removed/edited a few posts by and referencing a now-banned poster to keep things on track. Back to the main topic.

Thanks,
    Mod 1
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 6, 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: terminology

I'm a bit shocked over all this.
    I bred my mare to one of her stallions last year. Jill was very nice to deal with and helpfull with my questions. I guess I tend to want to see the better in people and still question some of the validity of the pictures. Maybe they were in process of having vacated the place prior to these photos? And just coming in to feed the animals until the next place was ready? -although that poor dog and chicken situation is unacceptable.
    Where are her stallions and foals? Do I need to be concerned that she shipped semen from a "lesser" stallion? Luckily my filly is happy and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by me7711 View Post
    I'm a bit shocked over all this.
    I bred my mare to one of her stallions last year. Jill was very nice to deal with and helpfull with my questions. I guess I tend to want to see the better in people and still question some of the validity of the pictures. Maybe they were in process of having vacated the place prior to these photos? And just coming in to feed the animals until the next place was ready? -although that poor dog and chicken situation is unacceptable.
    Where are her stallions and foals? Do I need to be concerned that she shipped semen from a "lesser" stallion? Luckily my filly is happy and healthy.
    Interesting isn't it, how anyone that is questioning or supporting is a new poster................

PLEASE don't assume those of us who by some crazy luck had a good or OK experience are "defenders", "trolls", etc. It's not fair. This has been a very eye opening thread...upsetting and leaving a number of people wondering about whether we should DNA test or be worried about in-uteros. I am not surprised it brings new posters. If this were a person recounting a bad experience, you'd be all over them with condolences. So, please be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Roisin View Post
    PLEASE don't assume those of us who by some crazy luck had a good or OK experience are "defenders", "trolls", etc. It's not fair. This has been a very eye opening thread...upsetting and leaving a number of people wondering about whether we should DNA test or be worried about in-uteros. I am not surprised it brings new posters. If this were a person recounting a bad experience, you'd be all over them with condolences. So, please be fair.
    I have NO doubt that there are people that have had good experiences. I don't think anyone is questioning that. I do have an issue with those that come in and make excuses for the state of affairs. The pictures speak for themselves. No excuses for it. Period.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity