The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 222 of 224 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224 LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,440 of 4466

Default OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM RISING STAR FARM

At this time, Rising Star Farm is retracting the contractual agreement to purchase the stallion known as Romantic Star. All previous affiliations with Jill Burnell/Grey Fox Farms and Robert Maggie Weems have been discontinued and official notification to the respected parties has been given. Any financial evaluations or statements made in any legal case involving these parties is in NO WAY indicative of the previous purchase agreement between Rising Star Farm and Grey Fox Farms for the purchase of Romantic Star. It is my sincere hope that this stallion is able to find refuge in a situation where he is given the good care he deserves.
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

Become a fan on FB - Rising Star Farm

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horseofcorff View Post
    That is exactly what I am wondering. UC Davis did a thorough workup and did not mention one word about being underweight. They noted he was muddy and they gave him a bath. AND they fed him what you would feed an ordinary horse. Now UC Davis is very well-respected with regards to nutrition, so I cannot believe they would underfeed a starving horse; as well, I cannot believe they would examine an undernourished horse and fail to mention it, especially when they went to the effort to note that he was muddy.

I'd have to go back and look, but I believe it was reported by those involved that the horse had a body score of 3 upon seizure, and that bloodwork revealed indiciations of malnouishment issues.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    So now we have a brand new poster starting yet another rumour.
    What's next? That Redwine and Aloha were just heading through Mexico to start their new careers siring a new line of Guatemalan polo ponies???

Lets just all hope that all the stallions land softly.

[QUOTE=horseofcorff;6825587]Quick question. If a horse has a body score of 3 why would he only be fed two flakes of alfalfa a day and two flakes of grass hay a day? That would be only 15 to 16 pounds of hay a day for a huge stallion! I am sorry but we keep feed in front of our stallion (and mares for that matter) 24/7 and they have winter ryegrass. I can't imagine why you would feed a thin horse such little hay? Unless maybe he did not have a body score of 3?[/QUO f

When a horse has not been fed or barely fed for a period of time resulting in a body score of 3 you have to bring feed quantities back slowely building them back up over time. UC Davis knows what they"re doing.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by risingstarfarm View Post
    At this time, Rising Star Farm is retracting the contractual agreement to purchase the stallion known as Romantic Star. All previous affiliations with Jill Burnell/Grey Fox Farms and Robert Maggie Weems have been discontinued and official notification to the respected parties has been given. Any financial evaluations or statements made in any legal case involving these parties is in NO WAY indicative of the previous purchase agreement between Rising Star Farm and Grey Fox Farms for the purchase of Romantic Star. It is my sincere hope that this stallion is able to find refuge in a situation where he is given the good care he deserves.
    Oh my. I'm so sorry that this has come to pass for Romantic Star and Rising Star Farm. I have no direct knowledge of any of the people involved in any way, but it seemed from my catbird seat that this poor stallion had finally found a wonderful, safe home, and I'm sad that it will no longer be a possibility for him.

I admit to not having read the entire vet record, but the idea that a horse has fractured and infected teeth, has fresh blood coming from his mouth and is anorexic raises fluorescent, not just red, flags to me. My interpretation is that poor animal was in too much pain to eat - in addition to the swollen eyes and significant wounds.

I have to tip my hat to those of you who would care for a horse with this complex presentation at your home barns. I've dealt with some real train wrecks at home, but I'd defer care on a case like this to more experienced and intensive settings. I have so very much to learn.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

4 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=equitruth;6825774]
    Quick question. If a horse has a body score of 3 why would he only be fed two flakes of alfalfa a day and two flakes of grass hay a day? That would be only 15 to 16 pounds of hay a day for a huge stallion! I am sorry but we keep feed in front of our stallion (and mares for that matter) 24/7 and they have winter ryegrass. I can't imagine why you would feed a thin horse such little hay? Unless maybe he did not have a body score of 3?[/QUO f

When a horse has not been fed or barely fed for a period of time resulting in a body score of 3 you have to bring feed quantities back slowely building them back up over time. UC Davis knows what they"re doing.
    That's right. Horses that have been starving have to be brought back up slowly.

Anyone who has had a horse have a colic surgery has learned why teeny weeny bits of forage are given free choice (but in very small quantities) so their belly, digestive tract and system can adjust. Often with a bale of hay bungied to the stall bars. Y

One can kill a horse (or any mammal for that matter) that is starving by feeding too much too fast. It can be a LONG road, but the right path to follow for the interest of the horse. I have no doubt that UC Davis knows exactly what they are doing to recover this horse to good health.

2 members found this post helpful.

That is exactly what I am wondering. UC Davis did a thorough workup and did not mention one word about being underweight. They noted he was muddy and they gave him a bath. AND they fed him what you would feed an ordinary horse. Now UC Davis is very well-respected with regards to nutrition, so I cannot believe they would underfeed a starving horse; as well, I cannot believe they would examine an undernourished horse and fail to mention it, especially when they went to the effort to note that he was muddy.
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...21101250_n.jpg

From what I read on the physical exam on intake it says
    MS:BS 3/6 Symmetrical muscling with ribs visible on both sides but vertebrae still covered with muscling.

Under discharge instructions 9) A complete blood count and chemistry was submitted. The CBC reveled some inflammation and there were changes on chemistry due to anorexia and muscle damage.

Also about his feeding. If his Chemistry reveled anorexia their moderate feeding plan certainly in on par with the idea that you have to gradually wean them up to full feedings when you suspect starvation.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.

Well RS has lost, he has lost big time in this manipulative and sick game Ms Burnell is playing. Very sad! Very very very sad.

She will go over corpses to externalize blame and use others, human or equine, to justify her actions.

I read the report from UC Davis, and the bloodwork is very clear. While to the 'novice' it may look like everything is within normal values, the indexes are off, which skewed the 'normal' values, and thus the 'normal' values are not so 'normal'. They were actually indicative of prolonged 'anorexia' as they called it. The UC Davis report is plenty of evidence that the seizure was warranted.

It is no wonder he lost a stallion fight. Weak from lack of nourishment, sliding in mud. EAsy target.

I wish Rising Star would have been able to work things out with the MHS and he would go to her in the end.

5 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I was barbecued for saying I didnt think that RS had actually been bought (meaning money changed hands)...imagine, me spreading wild rumours and all.

Now I truly hope someone can step up and give that Stallion (and all of the horses) the homes they deserve.

7 members found this post helpful.

Having seen the way RSF was vilified here for supposedly helping JB by buying the stallion, do you think anyone is going to be willing to be involved??

I think COTH has a lot to answer for here, and I'm not talking about the auction funds.

8 members found this post helpful.

My "feeling" is that RS has not lost. He's in good hands, is recovering and will not go by the wayside.

Maybe not breed again, but who the heck cares! He needed help and he's getting it. That is all that counts, in my mind. If only people would forget that he's a stallion. That doesn't make him any more special than Nelly-Bell who needs the same help and may have been starved and treated badly.

Hopefully, we'll hear about how those mares are doing. They deserve the same attention... good girls who popped out babies for years I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Having seen the way RSF was vilified here for supposedly helping JB by buying the stallion, do you think anyone is going to be willing to be involved??

I think COTH has a lot to answer for here, and I'm not talking about the auction funds.
    I don't remember anyone making RSF out to be a villian, things just simply didn't make sense. And now they do, sort of.

3 members found this post helpful.

Body condition score 3/6? Sounds like Davis uses a 6 point scale. A horse that's muscled over the vertebrae, but with ribs showing is much closer to the normal range on a 6 pt. scale than on a 9 pt. scale. The stallion was not grossly underweight.

Also, changes on bloodwork indicative of anorexia is not the same as starvation. Two days without eating after getting beaten up = bloodwork indicative of anorexia. Anorexia means not eating.
    "...it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

From what has been posted about Jill, it doesn't sound like she would let the possibility of $100,000 go without a fight.

I didn't read all of the report, but in his early report from UC Davis, his neck was sufficiently swollen (edema) that it was reducing the blood flow in his jugular (right hand side).

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Dead Lame, you might not want to confuse anyone with FACTS.

I mean that a 3/6 is more similar to a 4/5 on teh 9 point scale might mess with some people's re feeding theories.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    With all due respect, what does COTH have to answer for? The SIL had the nerve to start this thread. Brought a bad, bad situation for both JB clients and her horses to light. That needed to be done.

No matter all the vitriol, it's great she posted on COTH. It made things happen for these horses and overseers regarding the other as to their care and recovery...and what happens with the rest is still to be seen. Despite all of this mess on this BB, it's really all about the horses, no?

Like others, I suspect the resolution will take a long time so patience will indeed be a virtue for everyone as this case goes through "the system".

I don't know RSF at all. But to disengage from the likes of JB is probably a very wise, professional move. I'm sure RS will find a soft landing and the others will find a soft landing at some point. Poor kiddos.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    I didn't read all of the report, but in his early report from UC Davis, his neck was sufficiently swollen (edema) that it was reducing the blood flow in his jugular (right hand side).
    I don't see that in the report. Edema yes, but nothing to indicate edema so severe that it impacted jugular blood flow.
    "...it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Dead Lame, you might not want to confuse anyone with FACTS.

I mean that a 3/6 is more similar to a 4/5 on teh 9 point scale might mess with some people's re feeding theories.
    One page says 3/6 this page https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...49960997_n.jpg

Says under Case History: Body Condition score of 3/9

Editing for Dead Lame this page
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...60506575_n.jpg

at the top "Slow jugular refill on the left jugular vein with edema present over the vein in the cranial cervical region" The next statement is is good jugular refill on the left. I am guessing a typo and they meant right. Since they would have checked each side.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by risingstarfarm View Post
    Thank you for bravely trying to extricate Romantic Star and provide quality care. I am so sorry to read this. Again, thanks so much for taking the risk and DOING something.

May MHS preside and extricate all the horses involved in this tragedy. Best wishes to both R.S.s - may each have a very bright future.