The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 207 of 224 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,140 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I am sad to hear that David Adamo is involved with someone involved heavily with JB, and then I discovered he is also now on Chileno Valley Road himself at another less than decent "breeders" farm. Sigh.

Seriously people, you are all shocked by all this, but NorCal is full of them
    For pete's sake she is a LAWYER. Her job is to represent people. It does NOT mean that she approves of JB any more than the lawyers who represent rapists approve of their clients.

I posted this earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    A lawyer's job is to represent their client and try to get charges made against them cleared. That's the job they signed on for.

Lawyers represent alll sorts of horrible, evil people, also people who are accused of horrible things but who are sick, not evil, also people accused of horrible actions who have not actually done any such thing**.

That Is Their Job.

Like it or don't, but just because a lawyer represents someone accused of child rape does not mean that they themselves approve of child rape, or will bring children to that rapist's house and leave them there unsupervised just to get free babysitting.

**and no, I am not putting JB in this category.

And what David Adamo has to do with anything is beyond me. His job is to ride and train her horses, nothing more. Do you think that lawyers who represent horrible people should get no services at all simply because of the job they do?

Seriously folks, concentrate on the one and only villain in all this, Jill Burnell. SHE is the ONLY one responsible for any of this, perhaps adding her husband in as an accessory.

7 members found this post helpful.

Seriously folks, concentrate on the one and only villain in all this, Jill Burnell. SHE is the ONLY one responsible for any of this, perhaps adding her husband in as an accessory.
    What? And ignore the enablers?

Default Auction Updates

Auction Items Closing This Evening, Sun Jan 20 2013:
    (Note that auction closes at time indicated or approximately 5 minutes after last bid)

21:10:00 EST 1 Informal Stock Tie (seasonal print of choice)
    21:25:00 EST 1 Breeding to winners choice of Beste Gold or Hot Shot MRF
    21:40:00 EST 1 Breeding to the Hanoverian-approved (AHS) Holsteiner stallion, Contratto
    21:55:00 EST 1 breeding to the Welsh Section A stallion, Coyote Run Gryffon
    22:10:00 EST 1 Breeding to SS Stallone - Homozygous Tobiano/Black - Licensed Oldenburg N.A.

Tally to Date/Time of Posting

Date Total
    Winning
    Bids
    Payments Received to Date
    (Google Checkout, PayPal or other payment commissions not deducted)
    January 10, 2013 $2,124.00 $1,524
    January 11, 2013 $2,110.00 $910
    January 12, 2013 $1,805.00 $745
    January 13, 2013 $1,755.00 $990
    January 14, 2013 $2,980.00 $1,730
    January 15, 2013 $1,090.00 $1,090
    January 16, 2013 $3,515.00 $1,250
    January 17, 2013 $1,650.00 $1,650
    January 18, 2013 $1,750 $1,150
    January 19, 2013 $1,064.50 $410
    TOTALS: $19,843.50 $11,449

5 members found this post helpful.

Leg Up - I really like the way you've bolded the paid-to-date days of the auction where all the winning bids have been paid for.

Very concise, informative chart. (and a nice total amount so far too!)
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

5 members found this post helpful.

Lawyer or not, isn't there some "ethics" (I know we are talking lawyers), that if you really do not agree with the case, you can refuse it? I sure would not try to defend a person like JB because I feel I could not do a proper job. I would always be looking at the evidence, seeing these poor horses and that mess... and I could NOT defend her.

What i am going to say next does not mean i support JB.

From what we have been told her horses are not in the kind of condition it takes to be seized - if they were they would of been taken already. While you may not keep your horses that way - there are many that do.

So honestly - people need to stop hoping that her horses will be taken - it is 99.99% likely they wont. If folks are involved and want justice they need to act.

simple as that.

Lawyers are paid to defend their clients and a good one will do that to the best of their ability. That is how our country works, after all.

4 members found this post helpful.

So honestly - people need to stop hoping that her horses will be taken - it is 99.99% likely they wont. If folks are involved and want justice they need to act.
    When you make your living off of your horses and more than one horse ends up in terrible shape due to your neglect I don't think you should get to say "whoops" and get to continue. Sorry, you cant tell people how to feel... I DO hope her horses are taken away... AND that the courts put sanctions on her to prevent her from horse ownership in the future.

Im sorry.. She had the means to make change before they started starving, and if you seriously think the situation wouldn't be 10 times worse by now if she hadn't had horses seized and been thrown into the spotlight, well....

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Lawyer or not, isn't there some "ethics" (I know we are talking lawyers), that if you really do not agree with the case, you can refuse it? I sure would not try to defend a person like JB because I feel I could not do a proper job. I would always be looking at the evidence, seeing these poor horses and that mess... and I could NOT defend her.
    Then it's a good thing you aren't an attorney. A good attorney needs to be able to shelve their own personal beliefs and feelings and simply deal with the facts of a case. Everyone has the right to a trial and to be defended, someone has to do that defending. Murderers, rapists, abusers, the lot of 'em. They don't have to like it, but it is the job they signed on for.

You want insane conjecture? Here's one - maybe Ms Weems is hoping to lose this and get JB out of the breeding game for good, showing up her frauds all the while...

I doubt it highly, but one bit of speculation is as useful as the next.

11 members found this post helpful.

I am sad to hear that David Adamo is involved with someone involved heavily with JB, and then I discovered he is also now on Chileno Valley Road himself at another less than decent "breeders" farm. Sigh.

Seriously people, you are all shocked by all this, but NorCal is full of them
    Why keep going after David Adamo? He's a TRAINER. He has to work somewhere, doesn't he? He's currently working at one of the bigger Hunter/Jumper Barns in the area. There's only so much available space for trainers. He has a family he'd probably like to see, once in a while. Is he supposed to commute to some fictional ideal "COTH approved" barn that doesn't exist? Frankly, all the farms have their pluses and and minuses, including batty owners. The poor man is making a living as best he can. I met him, years ago, at another facility, and found him to be a very nice man, for what it's worth. If you don't like the owner, don't breed to her horse/s and don't board there, but stop attacking the people who rent out the space to run their business. That's not fair.

10 members found this post helpful.

Then it's a good thing you aren't an attorney. A good attorney needs to be able to shelve their own personal beliefs and feelings and simply deal with the facts of a case. Everyone has the right to a trial and to be defended, someone has to do that defending. Murderers, rapists, abusers, the lot of 'em. They don't have to like it, but it is the job they signed on for.

You want insane conjecture? Here's one - maybe Ms Weems is hoping to lose this and get JB out of the breeding game for good, showing up her frauds all the while...

I doubt it highly, but one bit of speculation is as useful as the next.
    Totally agree, I am glad I am not one!
    And this is really why I don't trust lawyers. They have to shelve their personal beliefs which makes them hypocritical in my eyes... I am just wondering if you can refuse such a case if you truly, looking at the facts in front of you ie the poor condition of the horses, disagree that everything is fine?
    In case of a murderer, etc., there are ways the lawyers can argue mental illness, etc, but here... she can only argue that the horses are in good condition? mental illness? no... lack of money? which means can't buy feed... I just don't see proper defense unless the lawyer agrees...
    I could not do it... period. The hypocrisy is just too much for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think there is any state in which a lawyer can be forced to take a case. But you guys need to remember that our entire American legal justice system is based upon the right of every citizen to be represented by competent legal counsel. Why would you vilify a lawyer for upholding that system?

Sometimes the only thing a lawyer can do is damage control or to force the authorities to make sure they dot all their i's and cross all their t's before they bring the full might of the system down upon the client.

You should be GLAD of this, not condemning the lawyer.

So sad to know that you think lawyers should leave someone hanging in the wind just because some COTH members disapprove.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

27 members found this post helpful.

Yes, exactly.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's been my experience that if it was sold as a buildable lot all the feasibility work would have been done ahead of time - it would either perc or have an easement to an area that did, sometimes they go to the extent of having a vested septic system drawn up and ready to be put in, a test hole for a well would have been drilled and the GPH established and a lot of times power would have been brought to the property. Sometimes all the systems are in place but generally that's hard to recoup at a profit. Sellers just get it started, which is hugely important in itself.

However that isn't always the case, if it's an old subdivision or just sold as a lot with no mention of building status then you'd be on your own to determine whether you could build on it and the deed or the zoning don't really tell you anything. I fear that she's leapt from the frying pan into the fire, and it'll get worse before it gets better.

I really don't understand how she can be such a good salesman and present such a good front for a business that she clearly doesn't want to do the work to keep up. I've met people like that in the past and I never have understood how they can so glowingly represent the work that they just can't get around to doing. They are true con men I guess, but they aren't conning intentionally, they mean well. Is it maybe a form of OCD, like hoarding? Just crazy.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

I thought the only lawyers who had to take a case were public defenders. All the rest, it's their choice.

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks to those who keep trying to bring the sanity.

Honestly, thank you.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

8 members found this post helpful.

Here we go. I was seriously wronged, as have others.
    Hunh?

If you were wronged by David Adamo, then start another thread about that. If you were wronged by Jill Burnell, than leave Adamo out of it. He wasn't the one misleading owners and buyers and mistreating horses at Gray Fox Farm.

(Which is the topic of this thread, remember?)

9 members found this post helpful.

Hunh?

If you were wronged by David Adamo, then start another thread about that. If you were wronged by Jill Burnell, than leave Adamo out of it. He wasn't the one misleading owners and buyers and mistreating horses at Gray Fox Farm.
    Agreed.
    What has a trainer to do with the neglected horses? Just because he's down the road doesn't entitle you to drag him down, as well. Why not go after the feed stores, the truck dealers, the utility companies, heck, let's just drag the whole state of California, and everyone who DARES live with 200 miles of JB, down with her.
    WTF?

Correction: he didn't rider for her.
    Last edited by Callmeacab; Jan. 20, 2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: fact check

6 members found this post helpful.

Did he ride for her? (JB, that is) He's an Eventer, not sure he'd be showing at the top of the H/J world.

He was mentioned, way back. I thought it was about him riding for her, but found on page 154, of this thread that it was only in reference to the atty claiming that she's groomed for him. How that brings him into this mess is beyond me.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    I don't think there is any state in which a lawyer can be forced to take a case. But you guys need to remember that our entire American legal justice system is based upon the right of every citizen to be represented by competent legal counsel. Why would you vilify a lawyer for upholding that system?

So sad to know that you think lawyers should leave someone hanging in the wind just because some COTH members disapprove.
    What, you don't trust the computer screen attorneys, vets, farriers, accountants, and zoning code enforcers to mete out justice?

A couple pages back, commenters were dismissing the examining vet's report because she was only 2 years out of vet school, and obviously less experienced with horses than COTH members with.... zero years of vet school, and not at the scene.

You know why all vets and farriers don't come to a neglect scene and kick the owner's butt? Because sometimes a horse professional might think that by acting all level headed and sane, they'll have a chance to convince the owner to make things better. You can go in and immediately alienate the owner, or you can act professional and polite and hope to keep the owner's attention and get them to take action.

It's not the same as being called in by Animal Control or by USDA to inspect a puppy mill, where you're representing the enforcement agency. If you're working as a private vet or farrier, on some rare occasions you actually can educate an owner to do a better job.

Usual disclaimer, not excusing Burnell, blah blah, nor is Burnell a candidate for educating like some new owners.
    "...it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

13 members found this post helpful.