The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 197 of 224 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 4466

So according to the vet there was a "truckload of hay". How many bales of hay can you get in the bed of a truck (assuming it was a pick up truck) and how long would that last when you are feeding so many horses?

1 members found this post helpful.

Well she provides an accounting of how many flakes each horses is getting(once a day) . Since there is no mention of grain being given it does seem to me that broodmares in foal some nursing and weanlings /yearling might need more then the 4-6 flakes provided a day. That does seem to be a fairly minimal at best feeding program considering they are being fed in a herd environment and unable to control who consumes what.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Alas, so many questions, but most of them probably aren't going to be answered here anytime soon. I did read the DVMs declaration; I think the body scores are the most important piece of that as a snapshot of what she saw on that day, and I'm glad that they weren't worse. Some of the declaration merely reports or repeats what Jill told her about how she feeds, and isn't really proof of the Burnell's management at all. Jill could say she feeds 6 flakes of alfalfa daily to every horse on the place, and the DVM can't confirm or deny that based on a one day visit. She can only say the horses looked like X and there was water in the tanks the day she visited. What the horses looked like who were removed from the property and taken elsewhere, some might say "hidden" is anybody's guess. It's going to be a long road; might as well get used to the idea that this saga will go on and on...*sigh*

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRider992 View Post
    There are 36 broodmares listed on her website. Of those, we know that at least Oiselle and Pop Tart are not actually in Jill's possession, as well as Devil's Sis and the other two mares who were seized. Is there any way we can harness COTH's superpowers to determine which broodmares are actually in her possession, and attempt to contact previous owners?
    The vet report lists the horses that were on the property and inspected, but not by registered name.

Why are you assuming a pickup? And why are you assuming it was still ON a truck?

A truckload of hay could be anything from 20 bales to 200 bales, depending on what kind of truck and what kind of bales.

The vet report spells out the truck size. It says that JILL told her the property was not accessible via a large hay truck, and without a structure for hay storage the Burnells are bringing in hay on a pickup and storing it on the truck.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Why are you assuming a pickup? And why are you assuming it was still ON a truck?

A truckload of hay could be anything from 20 bales to 200 bales, depending on what kind of truck and what kind of bales.
    Did you read the document?

"Food Supply:... Mrs. Burnell stated that due to the condition of the roads, that they have been unable to purchase large amounts of hay to be brought onto the property. Their current program is to store the hay on their truck and to purchase more hay as needed until the contemplated hay barn is built. On this day, I observed a pick-up truck full of alfalfa hay, which arrived shortly after my arrival."

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterHorse View Post

"Food Supply:... Mrs. Burnell stated that due to the condition of the roads, that they have been unable to purchase large amounts of hay to be brought onto the property. Their current program is to store the hay on their truck and to purchase more hay as needed until the contemplated hay barn is built. On this day, I observed a pick-up truck full of alfalfa hay, which arrived shortly after my arrival."
    Convenient that the truck full of hay arrives while the vet is there doing the evaluation.

7 members found this post helpful.

Thanks halterhorse and stella. I just went back to read the vet report to see if I had read what I thought I had or not. You beat me to answering the question.

MHS should require that she identify the horses by their registered names, or the names she lists on her website, so they can have better identification.

Corlandia is not there. Grand Divina was purchased by Kirsten Strain. Pop Tart was never there. Ouiselle is at RSF. She never got 24k. I would be inclined to think that the mares lacking pictures PROBABLY were never in her custody. The bigger mystery is how many yearlings and two year olds are left unsold. There is so much discrepancy in the ownership of the sold horses, and no telling how accurate the website is at this point, that there really is no way of knowing.

Red Velvet is the one we have, so she is not there. Rumor Mill was at Brandon's and sold. That leaves a bunch that are potentially still there.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

And according to the vet the farrier was just leaving as well.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    MHS should require that she identify the horses by their registered names, or the names she lists on her website, so they can have better identification.

Corlandia is not there. Grand Divina was purchased by Kirsten Strain. Pop Tart was never there. Ouiselle is at RSF. She never got 24k. I would be inclined to think that the mares lacking pictures PROBABLY were never in her custody. The bigger mystery is how many yearlings and two year olds are left unsold. There is so much discrepancy in the ownership of the sold horses, and no telling how accurate the website is at this point, that there really is no way of knowing.

Red Velvet is the one we have, so she is not there. Rumor Mill was at Brandon's and sold. That leaves a bunch that are potentially still there.
    Laurie I agree with you 100% Its a legal case the horses should have been identified by their legal registered names and given more then a age and sex description.

I also think the veterinarians inspection should have included pictures of each horse at that moment. Without them its all to speculative as to what or who she was looking at.

6 members found this post helpful.

Something that I can't figure out:
    This colt, Revelation:
    http://grayfoxfarms.com/revelation.htm

according to Gray Fox Website is a 2011 and belongs to Kym of Virginia.
    But in Dr.Ellis' report, number 10, he is listed as being 4 months old:

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/userfi...eclaration.pdf

Revelation DOES belong to Kym of VA. She is our client and he is alive and well on her farm.

She has reused names in the past, but she is probably confused!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterHorse View Post

Hmmm. JillB hires Dr. Ellis to assess her herd. She knew Dr. Ellis was coming. So Dr. Ellis observed clean, full water tanks. She observed hay scattered in the pastures. She observed no horses with body condition less than 3 (although one was noted as "3, verging on very thin"). The water tanks were clean and full. There was hay scattered in the pastures. The hay truck (conveniently) arrived while Dr. Ellis was there. Now mind you, this was AFTER MHS had been there and seized several horses.

Furthermore, JillB stated her feeding program was "blah-blah-blah". She stated her worming program was "blah-blah-blah". She stated her vaccination program was "blah-blah-blah." She stated her farrier program was "blah-blah-blah".

Someone on this forum has the tagline "I wouldn't believe her if her tongue came notarized." I am wondering if it was created in direct reference to JillB? Sure could apply in this situation..

17 members found this post helpful.

That would be me and I truly feel sorry for Dr.Ellis having gotten sucked into this S#$% Hole of a situation.

Also there were two horses with BS's of 3 but vernacular that called them "thin/verging on very thin"

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I had forgotten that Dr. Ellis was hired by by JB and/or her attorney, and they would know when she was coming.

Hopefully the MHS is watching closely and the horses will be fed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post

Someone on this forum has the tagline "I wouldn't believe her if her tongue came notarized." I am wondering if it was created in direct reference to JillB? Sure could apply in this situation..
    I was just thinking the same thing!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Re: feeding hay by the flake. A "flake" can weigh 2 lbs. or it can weigh 10 lbs.

The number of "flakes" mean nothing. It's the poundage that matters. And whether or not each individual is getting the poundage (calories) they need...even in a herd environment. Horsekeeping 101, unless this was a "survival of the fittest" mentality, because she simply did not have enough money to feed them and pretended she could, as she pretended she had a fabulous farm with a bogus website.

Smoke and mirrors.

Carry on.

8 members found this post helpful.

So only 4 or 5 mares are in foal. Not the 30+ listed on the website.