The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 192 of 224 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,840 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Is there any validation/report/link about 10 days to get the property up to code? That probably has more bearing on the final disposition of the horses than anything MHS can/will do.
    Dated January 9:

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/c...ues-arise.aspx

"Burnell may also need a new place to live. Marin County’s code enforcement department notified her this week that she has 10 days to respond to a notice regarding her property’s code violations. The letter states that living in a trailer on the land and the storage of junk are violations of Marin County Codes Section(s) 22.08.030 and 7.52.020.

In order to correct the violations, a code enforcement official says the junk and camper trailer Burnell and her husband are currently living in must go. To make the property suitable for living, the housing, septic, and water must be approved. The property does have a source of running water, which is being investigated, since water isn't approved according to the official. If they don’t correct the violations, they could be fined $5000 a day plus costs."

I am glad that JB has an attorney that is working on her behalf. I much prefer that to people who are convicted and then claim "inadequate representation" and then are allowed to go free or are retried for the offense, which would be unlikely due to the costs.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    So she foaled July 6th 2012 and is due June 22, 2013? Guess fertility isn't an issue. Poor mare.
    After googling the mare name Devil Sis, 2001 TB, Chronicle forums show she was leased from Genevieve at Glen Hill Farm to Spacely for a foal in 2006. Somehow she ended up with Jill Burnell at Gray Fox Farm. I wonder if these people still doing business with Gray Fox Farm or interested in what happened to her. They called her Abby not Pookie.

2 members found this post helpful.

What that woman has done is despicable and her vet should be totally ashamed of herself.

I would be willing to bet that "her vet" has never once laid eyes on any of the horses or at least not within the last 6 months or so.

9 members found this post helpful.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    First, there is absolutely nothing to say that the website is accurate... rather the opposite. How many people have said that such and such mare has never left their care and gone to JB. So the number you state is probably not accurate. Articles have mentioned more than 2 dozens horses... 4 seized... The rest are still at the farm under supervision by MHS.
    I don't see where your problem is!
    Again a misread of my concern. How quick to judge! Many have said MHS has seized only 4 horses. I suspect there are many more that need rescue thus the auction is most likely helping many more ultimately than 4 horses. So FalseImpression? Chill
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Default HORRIFIED

I just saw a post over on Facebook about the condition of Jill Burnell and the horses on her farm and was HORRIFIED. I will have to spend some time looking over this thread but was horrified and so sad for the poor horses. It breaks my heart. How can anyone who professes to love animals treat horses like this?

sorry double post

Quote Originally Posted by pinhurst52 View Post
    After googling the mare name Devil Sis, 2001 TB, Chronicle forums show she was leased from Genevieve at Glen Hill Farm to Spacely for a foal in 2006. Somehow she ended up with Jill Burnell at Gray Fox Farm. I wonder if these people still doing business with Gray Fox Farm or interested in what happened to her. They called her Abby not Pookie.
    Looks like she had a 2006 foal for JB - "Plot Twist". http://grayfoxfarms.com/foals2006.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    Again a misread of my concern. How quick to judge! Many have said MHS has seized only 4 horses. I suspect there are many more that need rescue thus the auction is most likely helping many more ultimately than 4 horses. So FalseImpression? Chill
    I am chilling, but stop asking us questions we do NOT have the answers to! Ask MHS... Of course, we are all hoping other horses will be helped... but I am sure they already are... do you really think JB is feeding them properly now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Dr. Cheryl Ellis received both her Bachelor’s degree and DVM degree from the University of California at Davis, CA. Her professional interests include emergency stabilization and care of the equine patient, equine technical rescue and disaster preparedness and response involving equines. She is the California Veterinary Medical Association’s Disaster Coordinator for El Dorado County. Dr. Ellis also enjoys traveling to Central and South America as a member of HSVMA-FS (Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association – Field Service Division) where she volunteers her time helping care for horses in impoverished areas. Her personal interests include riding her endurance mules and helping her daughter with her Sport Pony breeding program.
    If Samantha Ellis is her daughter, there is a JB connection, she bred one of her mares to redwine a couple years ago. I believe she is a regular here on COTH.

4 members found this post helpful.

MHS from all impressions thus far seems very competent and on top of the situation. I'm sure they're working hard to make sure all I's are dotted and T's crossed to ensure JB and attorney don't have any case to get these horses back. They're the professionals. They know what they're doing. We don't need all the details...especially on a public message board that JB has access to. The best thing to do now is to provide support via the auction and let MHS do their thing. Without distraction. Everything will come out in the end. Hopefully after JB has not one horse left to her name (or those she "transferred" ownership to, if that is the case).
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    If Samantha Ellis is her daughter, there is a JB connection, she bred one of her mares to redwine a couple years ago. I believe she is a regular here on COTH.
    I am starting to connect the dots here, so Samantha Ellis bred the 2011 filly that Jill renamed "Rapture" and removed the dam/breeder information from. Rapture is the filly by Redwine out of "a warmblood mare." Does seem strange that her mother would be helping Jill by providing a declaration in support of Jill's writ. I would love to see a copy of that declaration.
    Sheila Armstrong

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    May Jill one day feel as hungry as this poor rack of bones. What a sick bi#*%.

That mare has given her body to keep her foal alive. To starve a horse is horrible. To starve a pregnant mare whose body is sending all available nourishment to maintain the foal ----- is -------------- beyond horrible.

I am crying.

Sid, I hope that you can/will expose the BNB who starved your mare. Please do not let him/her be able to starve other horses.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Someone might want to email a photo of the mare to the vet, so she could either explain the mare's condition or distance herself from the situation, as the case may be.

I will also be interested in seeing a copy of that declaration from Dr Ellis, and will be watching how this case unfolds. Should it become fact through the proceedings that Dr Ellis has acted unethically in her support of Jill Burnell and in so doing, against the welfare of horses in Jill Burnell's care, I will personally inform, and file a complaint with the California State Board of Veterinary Medicine. I trust that the legal process will make all facts known eventually, and should those facts indicate that this DVM has acted inappropriately or unethically, I will be certain to make a very loud noise with the State licensing Board.

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pinhurst52 View Post
    Great detective work Sherlock. You discovered info that nobody was trying to hide. Wanna cookie?
    Yes, I had Abby for a couple months. I bought her from a racing barn when she slab fractured her knee(2004 or 05). She is a lovely mare. I have already visited her at MHS and gave her a bunch of carrots. When this is all over, I am confident she will have a loving home where she will be pampered.

5 members found this post helpful.

Diane, it's not good at all if it comes to that, though I know what you meant. If it turns out that this DVM acted out of ethical bounds in supporting Jill Burnell, and in such a way that the State Board should take notice, then I hope I won't be the only one to flood the Board with complaints. We shall have to wait and see if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    That mare has given her body to keep her foal alive. To starve a horse is horrible. To starve a pregnant mare whose body is sending all available nourishment to maintain the foal ----- is -------------- beyond horrible.

I am crying.

Sid, I hope that you can/will expose the BNB who starved your mare. Please do not let him/her be able to starve other horses.
    I did expose her but I could not say who she was by name. When I posted the pics (would make you throw up) I had about 400 PMs right away. Even though her name was not exposed by name, most breeders knew who she was. The COTH dialogue and pics basically ran her out of the biz. Hope that is what happens here, no matter how all the legal things work out.

The mare in my case did of course the same thing. The life was literally sucked out of her body to feed her foal. By the time we found them she was almost dead and he was a stunted little thing. I'm happy to say he is no 8 years old and came back to full size, but it was a very long haul.

I love these mares. The give so much of themselves, sometimes to their own end to save their babies despite the ill care.

Her name was Jane Ervin. One of the top breeeders and IHF breeding handlers in the country at that time. Big name means nothing to me now. Water under the bridge. Thanks to being brave and posting on COTH, and all the support, never heard anything about her since. She posted on COTH often as Mshunter and had quite a following.

6 members found this post helpful.

I was not going to get sucked into this, but I'm not going to stand by and watch my mother's reputation get slammed. RUMORS NEED TO STOP. STICK WITH THE FACTS. I am not, nor would I EVER, defend Jill Burnell.

So here it goes...

Yes, Cheryl Ellis is my mom.

My mother was hired to do a welfare check on the remaining horses on the property. The seized horses were already taken, she never saw them. She was there for ONE DAY to evaluate the horses. The information is confidential, I do NOT know what was said about them. So to clarify, Dr. Cheryl Ellis is not, never has been, never will be, Jill Burnell's vet. She was not hired by Burnell, but rather by the lawyer involved.

I have had my own (not pleasant) dealings with Jill Burnell. That has nothing to do with my mother, or her evaluations of the animals. She was hired to evaluate the animals on the property that day, not Burnell's business practices or the already seized animals.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

39 members found this post helpful.