The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 183 of 224 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193 ... LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,660 of 4466

Actually, there is at least one animal who was mired in an awful situation who was getting out and heading into a perfect home...

6 members found this post helpful.

I would be willing to bet that there are only a couple of people who really know the truth about some of this. And those that are spewing off here are not in the know. Some of you folks really need a med adjustment.

9 members found this post helpful.

Ditto, JustaBob.

The OP did a great service by posting in the first place, and the purpose of her posting has thankfully been served.
    There is a separate thread on the Leg Up auction, so those efforts can be followed there. Those who want to track the status of the horses and the JB case could easily follow it at the MCHS or Ratemypro site.

What is transpiring here now serves no good purpose, imo.

8 members found this post helpful.

And as someone has said earlier (or several someones), if I decide to breed my mare or buy a baby, I sure know the breeders I WON'T be going to!

So thanks for that at any rate, folks.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    I would be willing to bet that there are only a couple of people who really know the truth about some of this. And those that are spewing off here are not in the know. Some of you folks really need a med adjustment.
    QFT

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    Voting that the thread be locked. This thread is unreal and viscous.
    No, it's a few posters on this thread who are being unreal and viscious, not the thread itself. I'm betting one of Jill's goals will likely be to get this thread shut down or removed, and a few posters are doing a good job of trying to make that happen. In the end, the only person that is going to benefit from that happening is Jill.

At this point, people are upset, sad, angry, frustrated and everybody expresses that in a different way. Add to that the not knowing what is going on, and no information being released and you end up with mass hysteria, more anger, more frustration, more speculations, etc. Unfortunately, this is going to be a long saga, and it would be nice to see this thread quieten down until the parties involved are allowed to release new information. Unfortunately, patience is not always a virtue for most...including myself! It's understandable that people want answers now. But the Marin Humane Society is building a case and Jill Burnell is also building her own case. None of them are going to be releasing information right now. It will all come out in due time.

As Callmeacab said, it has been reported that three of the seized horses are at UC Davis, not just Romantic Star. In a statement released by the Marin Humane Society, they state: "post seizure care is being born by the Humane Society". For anyone who has involvement with Humane Society's, they rely heavily on funds that come in from donations from the general public. Below are the links that allow us, as the general public, to help!

Marin Humane Society Fundraiser:
    http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html

Marin Humane Society Donations:
    https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...0J9MULlIXKjOaF
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

14 members found this post helpful.

it has been reported that three of the seized horses are at UC Davis, not just Romantic Star.
    Daventry, I must have missed this somewhere. Has it been published somewhere that 3 horses had to be taken to Davis or is that just inside info that is now getting out? If so, is there a link? I know the previous articles stated the mares were being cared for at an offsite location, but didn't mention a hospital.

If the above it true (and I believe it completely), then the UC Davis bill is has probably reached or exceeded $30k at least.

1 members found this post helpful.

I recall the Marin Humane Society person specifically writing on this thread that if JB would sell one stallion, she could afford the fencing and things that the humane society wants for the horses' welfare. That is what the MHS wanted her to do. End of story. If she starts taking proper care of the horses then MHS doesn't have to take them on. Obviously they will continue to monitor this situation.

There are many other legal issues that could trip up JB's business and horsekeeping practices. Hopefully she will sell off more stock to comply with land use rules on her land and get a deposit down with a local vet so her animals may receive care when neccessary.

Seizures are not always that great. In Maine we had a horrible situation where an attorney finally got action. The state just euthanized all of the horses, about 50 horses, saying they were all too far gone to be saved. I believe the state just did not want to take on the cost of all of them.

4 members found this post helpful.

The point is if the people who are upset, sad, angry, frustrated were the ones directly involved it would be understood. But some of the people who are upset, sad, angry, frustrated are not involved in this one iota. And if the people who are upset, sad, angry, frustrated truly had the horses best interests at heart they would be doing things to help the horses and not their own self interests. I see a lot of self promoting and boosting of self interests in this thread.

5 members found this post helpful.

For those that "thumbs up"ed my post, I deleted it, because I got beyond PO'd, and felt my being so blunt just added to the mess.
    I will say this... Having had a horse saved by UC Davis, knowing the people involved at MHS, and the immediate area, I feel the confiscated horses cannot be in better hands. I know some of the vets affiliated with these facilities, and they donate their time and hours of effort, because they care.
    Any horse in such drastic condition as to have to be kept at Davis, is there because it's its last chance to survive. Horses aren't released until they have stabilzed, infection gone, and vital signs are good enough to go back to "at home" care, which can sometimes means a vet seeing the horse several times a day, for a while, afterwards. How do I know all this? Because I've been there, several times over. Anyone who's been there, knows the truth. Those of you lucky enough to have never been through this, stop speculating and throwing out hot air. Please!

10 members found this post helpful.

Um. Gang?

I don't own a mare. I don't own a stallion. I have no plans of breeding anything anytime soon. I have followed this thread since it's beginning and was so thrilled to see something finally happen to help the horses that may need help in this situation. And felt a warm and tingly feeling in my heart when the auction was set up.

But right about now? All you all sound nuttier than squirrel poo. Maybe it's time for everyone to step away from the keyboard for a while. Tensions are high. And all this is taking away from the main focus.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

23 members found this post helpful.

RSF is not new to this situation… at the very least she understood what was going on, she has even posted on this thread. She knew how her conduct would come across. What she is doing is a big “[edit]” for those who have stepped up to help and she knows it. Defending what she did is insulting to those who have stepped up… and gave from their pocket books simply because it was the right thing to do, with no benefit for themselves. For the very reasons that ponyponyponi stated, what RSF did is offensive, plain and simple. I would claim authorship of ponyponyponi’s post if I could.
    ?

She purchased a horse that fit her program. I assume that any one of you could have done the same thing. Purchased the horse to fit your program. I assume by help, you mean you donated, and now your donations can help other horses... or did you just want to help certain horses?

If you wanted the horse, you should have used your pocket book to purchase the horse. You could have helped the horse at the same time.

\You sound easy to offend if someone purchasing a horse out of a bad situation is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by COTHalter44 View Post
    Daventry, I must have missed this somewhere. Has it been published somewhere that 3 horses had to be taken to Davis or is that just inside info that is now getting out? If so, is there a link? I know the previous articles stated the mares were being cared for at an offsite location, but didn't mention a hospital. ...
    http://www.thehorse.com/articles/311...-breeding-farm

"Marin Humane Society animal service officials have removed one stallion and three mares from a California Warmblood breeding farm in connection with an animal cruelty investigation.

Marin Humane Society Atty. Bruce Wagman said that on Dec. 27, the agency removed the stallion and one mare from the Gray Fox Farm in Petaluma. Two more mares were removed from the property on Jan 4, Wagman said. All the animals were allegedly maltreated at the time of the removal, he said.

"They were all emaciated and the stallion had been in a brutal fight with another stallion," Wagman said. "Also, there was no food or shelter for the horses on the property."

Three of the horses were taken to the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Large Animal Clinic for treatment, Wagman said; the remaining horse is under care at the Marin Humane Society. All are undergoing rehabilitative care, Wagman said."

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post

"Marin Humane Society animal service officials have removed one stallion and three mares from a California Warmblood breeding farm in connection with an animal cruelty investigation.

Marin Humane Society Atty. Bruce Wagman said that on Dec. 27, the agency removed the stallion and one mare from the Gray Fox Farm in Petaluma. Two more mares were removed from the property on Jan 4, Wagman said. All the animals were allegedly maltreated at the time of the removal, he said.

"They were all emaciated and the stallion had been in a brutal fight with another stallion," Wagman said. "Also, there was no food or shelter for the horses on the property."

Three of the horses were taken to the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Large Animal Clinic for treatment, Wagman said; the remaining horse is under care at the Marin Humane Society. All are undergoing rehabilitative care, Wagman said."
    Thanks Joanne. I have been racking my brain and searching the internet trying to remember which article I saw this fact (3 of the seized horses at UC Davis) stated in.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post

Thank you. Only makes me angrier at JB unfortunately.

For a point of personal experience and reference for those who don't know. It was 3 months before the mare/foal who fell pray to a similar situation I referenced MANY posts back could return home.

She was probably about a few days away from death and the foal was emaciated as well.

It took weeks of "critical care" (running fluids) and then more months before they were strong enough to make the trailer trip back to me (and that happened in NJ...only about 5 hours away).

And I wept when the walked of the trailer to "home". Baby was "stunted" for his age. A 5 month old that looked like a 2 month old. The mare's topline and back muscle were just GONE. While I got pictures the day of the seizing, I was astounded to think of what I would have done had I been there when they were seized and their condition. It takes a LONG time a lot of time and money to get horses that are so close to death by maltrition back (if one can).

The fact the the mares are still at UC Davis speaks volumes to me about the condition in which they found them. And thank God they did.

NO ONE should underestimate the costs involved. I know. And that was for only one horse and baby who had no "injury".

Just sayin'...

2 members found this post helpful.

Is it possible to split this thread into a "how are the horses doing/how can I help?" side and an "I hate JB and I would like her to _______(fill in the blank) side? It would be easier for some of us to get through things. Perhaps just start another thread?
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbury Court View Post
    Is it possible to split this thread into a "how are the horses doing/how can I help?" side and an "I hate JB and I would like her to _______(fill in the blank) side? It would be easier for some of us to get through things. Perhaps just start another thread?

I couldn't agree more Canterbury Court..... This thread started out with a purpose to inform the people of what was really going on at GFF.

At this point it is in the courts hands and all of the unprofessional, ignorant arguments happening here is completely unacceptable. The right people will get the right horses when the court decides whether any of you agree or not. Use your energy to help the situation instead of falling prey to the bad behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbury Court View Post
    Well I am pretty firmly encamped on both sides although hate is not a word I like to use as it has been overused to the point it is meaningless. My main concern is seeing justice done for both the humans and equines involved and I hope that I helped towards that goal in some manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    COTH at its best is a powerful and wonderful thing. At its worst, COTH gives me a giant headache and makes me head for the aspirin bottle. Can we please stop with the speculation, backbiting, innuendoes and keep this thread on track?

For those who do not want anything on the auction site, please consider a donation to Marin County Humane Society. They have a place on their online donation form for a note where you can state that you wish the funds to go towards the case against GFF.

Marin Humane Society Donations:
    https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...0J9MULlIXKjOaF

If you are breeding, please consider the offerings at the auction:

Marin Humane Society Fundraiser:
    http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html
    Again, so much worth repeating.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!