The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 175 of 224 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 4466

ok, to be blunt: 30 horses is a lot of horses to foster. 30 horses that includes stallions, mares ready to foal and yearlings, is even harder.

Given some of the facilities we have here are not really equipped to handle theses kinds of horses i worry about the horses going to conditions/experiences that are no better than what they have now.... but folks will be happy becuase they were "rescued" ... *that* is my concern..... at least where they are now is in the eye of a very public situation.....

locals will know what i am talking about.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella M View Post
    I disagree. Foster homes and care provided by a humane society in the eye of the public is a thousand percent improvement over remaining in Jill's care. She doesn't have the money for feed, sounds like she is about to lose the property and the horses will continue to be used or given to people who may give them back to Jill later.

She no longer deserves to make decisions reguarding their care. NO ONE should support her, give her money, or hide horses. She should be left alone under the scrutiny of a humane society that so far has acted quickly and in the horse's best interest. My only wish is that they would release the photos of the horses that they seized, and THEN see how many folks here would support her.
    ^^^THIS!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    also, re: purchasing horses from JB - i dont quite understand the angst here - hopefully any $$ (if there is any) going to JB will pay for feed for the horses - which is a good thing.....
    I think the bottom line is, this can be looked as as enabling. Basically, allowing her to continue doing the same thing over and over again. Isn't that what has apparently been happening for several years already? From the Judgements listed on RateMyHorsePro.com, it sure seems like there just isn't enough money coming in to pay for the expenses that are going out. A logical business owner would get to the point that they realize they NEED to cut back to a more reasonable number of horses so that bills can get paid in a timely manner. With someone just mentioning, from what it sounds like, that Jill has leased yet another mare.....I'm sorry, but the lady just ISN'T gettin' it!

As far as Ronda Stavisky goes, a few have hit on the problem with the whole thing. And as someone else mentioned, at the end of the day, I guess it's really none of our business....that is, if it was a ligitimate sale from a seller to a buyer. But if that is the case, if Ronda was just simply purchasing stallions from a seller, then why not cooperate with the Marin Humane Society? Why lawyer up with the same lawyer as Jill Burnell? I think this is what's making everybody wonder if that "is" the real story.

I don't claim to know the laws, but maybe Jill is not legally allowed to sell any animals when she owes so many people so much money. The one Judgement posted on RateMyHorsePro.com shows that she owes someone over $60,000!! I dunno, maybe a lawyer can chime in on how that works when you go and sell a horse when you owe a bunch of money to other people?
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

7 members found this post helpful.

wow 10 likes for pony's post makes me sad that I feel like some would still rather see every mare/stallion/baby reach a point where they had to be seized rather than letting them get out of a bad situation. Knowing that in the end there is a possibility the horses will still land with Jill because it is not 100% certain she will lose.

i can understand the part about questioning things, but, Ronda has not been accused of shady business dealings, neglecting horses etc. so really seems tacky to drag her into it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    His jaw was broken within 24-hours of his being seized, so not that much. He would have already been WAY thin before he and the other stallion fought.
    Though, wasn't it Jill Burnell that said he was injured the day before the seizure? I wonder if the vets at UC Davis can determine how old the injury actually may be?
    Last edited by Daventry; Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

i suppose you can think of it as enabling - i just think of it as getting money for feed.

5 members found this post helpful.

"also, re: purchasing horses from JB - i dont quite understand the angst here - hopefully any $$ (if there is any) going to JB will pay for feed for the horses - which is a good thing..... "

Agreed. Not sure why RSF is the target of anything here - I suspect she is taking the straightest and least costly legal path to getting the horse in her custody (which one would reasonably assume is also in the the stallion's best interest.) Sounds like she is going to come out of this with a big enough bill.

(I suspect if she was really self-serving she would try to void the sale -in light of the horses condition--and leave the horse to JB and the MHS because heavens knows what the vet/legal bill will be.)

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Though, wasn't it Jill Burnell that said he was injured the day before the seizure...if that is the truth. I wonder if the vets at UC Davis can determine how old the injury actually may be?
    Yes you can roughly date injuries, by the degree of granulation tissue formed during the healing process for skin issues and the degree of callus formation on any fractured bones. But even non-medical personnel know fresh wounds when they see them.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

4 members found this post helpful.

You know, I think this thread is like a black hole… it just sucks people in. Those of us who have been around the block can see this for what it is… it’s like watching a train careening towards a brick wall in slow motion. I applaud those who’ve put themselves out trying to help.

6 members found this post helpful.

Cartier - my thoughts exactly - and i wonder what it is about human nature that makes folks behave so?

Quote Originally Posted by horsenut93136 View Post
    wow 10 likes for pony's post makes me sad that I feel like some would still rather see every mare/stallion/baby reach a point where they had to be seized rather than letting them get out of a bad situation. Knowing that in the end there is a possibility the horses will still land with Jill because it is not 100% certain she will lose.
    No, what needs to happen is the horses need to be taken by Marin County, who have a very good reputation as it stands, who now have a darn good fundraiser behind them to help care for these animals. And who are the officials with the legal know how, and resources to care for them. Can you say the same? Who are you in this? Are you advocating we hand the horses over to any joe schmoe who offers? Because there may be no legal recourse for those individuals if things aren't done right. I understand your concern, but randomly scattering the horses to various "good homes" won't do them any good if they end up in the hands of the same shady business woman 6 months from now, will it?

i can understand the part about questioning things, but, Ronda has not been accused of shady business dealings, neglecting horses etc. so really seems tacky to drag her into it.
    Ronda hasn't been accused until now. When you choose to do business with dirty business people, that's your choice, but one should probably consider the reputation she may get in doing so. Guilt by association, and she is associated in a gross way. She's done nothing to defend or address the condition of RS, if I were her, I'd be jumping up and down in name of the horse (if that's what she's all about...right? The safety of the horse?) but she hasn't so much said a word. Not ONE to the safety and wellbeing of that animal. If this was for the good of the animal, the huge pregnant mares, the elderly, THEY would be the first out of there. For those screaming about the other stallion owners rolling in this glory...what does Ms. Stavisky have to gain from removing RS from Jill? Hmmmmm. Gosh. Hard to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm
    also, re: purchasing horses from JB - i dont quite understand the angst here - hopefully any $$ (if there is any) going to JB will pay for feed for the horses - which is a good thing.....
    HA! It appears to me the only feed money doing any good sits on a plate in front of that big screen tv. Pictures don't lie, do they.

19 members found this post helpful.

ponyponyponi good post

We seem to have a sudden infestation of newbies

Not given her track record.

it is not good for the horse to have to be seized and then put in foster care etc.... having been around there are good places for horses to land, but there are also not so good places - and since there are so many - it seems to me better to work this all out with the horses remaining where they are as long as they are being fed/watered/etc.

I, for a fact, know that the people, around here, that are approved fosterers have wonderful conditions, care, facilities. Let's not confusing this with Child Protective Services, as seen on TV.

eta: i do not get this attack of folks wanting to help the horses by purchasing them? this is going to make it very difficult to re-home them if folks are afraid to take them for fear of rumors of "helping JIll"
    Baloney.

what a strange twist this thread has taken.

Cartier - my thoughts exactly - and i wonder what it is about human nature that makes folks behave so?
    What I see in most of these posts is that people care a great deal about this mess, they feel they were helpless to prevent it… they want to help if possible and they want it all exposed to “the bright cleansing light of day,” so that we can see what happened, what went wrong and prevent this from happening again. With very few exceptions, I do not see malice… rather, I see genuine concern, being expressed different ways, by different people. I think one thing we can all take away from this is that it is probably not a good idea for one person to collect large numbers of horses, because it’s easy to get in over your head, fast. That one thing, in and of itself, should raise interest or concern.

ok, to be blunt: 30 horses is a lot of horses to foster. 30 horses that includes stallions, mares ready to foal and yearlings, is even harder.

Given some of the facilities we have here are not really equipped to handle theses kinds of horses i worry about the horses going to conditions/experiences that are no better than what they have now.... but folks will be happy becuase they were "rescued" ... *that* is my concern..... at least where they are now is in the eye of a very public situation.....

locals will know what i am talking about.
    You honestly think the MHS is going to "park" them on some other vacant lot with another "Jill" in charge? Pleeeease.
    This area is filled with professionals, both very private and public, with the skills and knowledge of how to care for these horses.

Romantic Star is a lovely stallion and great producer who deserves a special home. I hope that he is recovering and will be able to resume his breeding career.

We had over 70 neglected horses seized in my county last year, many of whom are still being cared for by the local humane society at a cost of $400/horse/mo. Any horses that can be legitimately sold or adopted prior to seizure will mean that the MHS will be able to conserve its resources and better care for any remaining horses. I hope for the sake of the animals that this gets resolved quickly.
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

8 members found this post helpful.

Okay ponyponyponi, I fully admit that I also previously considered the same as you've now put down on paper here. It's human nature to speculate however for me there's too many loose ends without real (or true) information coming to light ... yet; and I do think we should all have a bit of patience and see this thing through. Marin Humane Society has their finger on the pulse so they're going to be keeping a very close eye on these horses and I have faith in them operating professionally and swiftly should the need arise to seize any more horses. I personally think that anyone seen buying horses from Jill for whatever reason are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can't do right for doing wrong. The same goes for any mare owners with horses stuck there, well if my mares happened to be there, I personally would find a way to get over to California and I would, without hesitation, remove all of my horses from that place. Probably not the "right" thing to do under the circumstances, but my emotional attachment to my animals would take over.

I don't know what the answer is, and I'm not disagreeing with a lot of what you've said; I do think we need to all have a little more patience and let the powers that be (MHS) deal with the immediate issues.

6 members found this post helpful.

Default Please spread the word: Leg Up- Marin County auction and donations

Thank you for mentioning the fundraising. Please spread the word in your local horse community. If we all pitch a little, we can make all the difference. Its the soon-to-foal mares that need the safety net we can provide. Marin is watching - and we can support them.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...Humane-Society

If anyone has a few extra dollars, COTHers have been asked by the Harrisburg Humane Society to help the 26 Morgans seized, which is outstripping the HHS capacity for funds. Not to divert, but the situation is very serious and the first news report is now out.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ghlight=morgan

Waiting for real news on the Marin situation is difficult - but the power of COTHers to make right is awesome. We have that to work with. Who doesn't love COTH magic?
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Jan. 12, 2013 at 03:18 PM.