The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 169 of 224 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 4466

[QUOTE=Go Fish;6773948]
    Quote Originally Posted by horsenut93136 View Post

Don't know...I tried to go back and edit, and it wouldn't let me. Sorry!
    no problem, when I quoted your post back the statement came out as Down Yonder,,,go figure

[QUOTE=Go Fish;6773802]
    Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post

I believe it's an "unwritten" rule that you don't come on this board and bash another member's stallion. While I'm not sure why, it's rarely done. There are several SOs that post regularly on this board that I'd dearly love to pick apart - I'd geld them in a heartbeat.
    OK, how about I rephrase it: Some folks (and very experienced and well known hunter folks, at that) feel he is limited in scope and ability for upper levels of hunters, and for those reasons look elsewhere for stallions for their hunter mares.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quick question about the last Marin Independent Journal article. It states:

"The state of California has a very broad animal protection statute, Weems said. If it's not enforced in a balanced way it's subject to a lot of abuse."

Is she trying to say that even though Marin County has tough laws re: abuse/neglect, what ever laws CA has on the books will over ride? Is it possible for them to use this and win?

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    The FACT is that he seems to be very prepotent in producing things a hunter breeder looks for: pretty, correct, good movers, good jumpers, great minds.
    Really now - how many people would have bred to him if he wasn't black and blingy?

And I guess your idea of "good jumper" is different from mine. But then, I have been hanging around jumper folks a bit lately, so I guess my viewpoint is tainted.

8 members found this post helpful.

OK, how about I rephrase it: Some folks (and very experienced and well known hunter folks, at that) feel he is limited in scope and ability for upper levels of hunters, and for those reasons look elsewhere for stallions for their hunter mares.
    and some folks including very experienced and well known hunter trainers feel he is not limited in scope and ability

I like the other quote above your rephrasing better
    Last edited by horsenut93136; Jan. 10, 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: trying to keep quotes straight :)

1 members found this post helpful.

Really now - how many people would have bred to him if he wasn't black and blingy?

And I guess your idea of "good jumper" is different from mine. But then, I have been hanging around jumper folks a bit lately, so I guess my viewpoint is tainted.
    What do you get from tearing down the stallion? Since my comfort level maxes out at about 2ft, I imagine my foal will have more than enough scope for my tastes. My doctors don't even want me to ride anymore let alone show grand prix jumpers so she suits me just fine. And mine isn't black even though both parents were. Go figure.

5 members found this post helpful.

Yes I seriously doubt we want hunters jumping like a lot of jumpers I see. But then again there are some who can do both.

I think if you were to take a poll, that as supsected and as many have pointed out, they are quite pleased with their offspring. So not sure what your agenda is in trying to put down this stallions merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud To Be Spotted View Post
    Quick question about the last Marin Independent Journal article. It states:

"The state of California has a very broad animal protection statute, Weems said. If it's not enforced in a balanced way it's subject to a lot of abuse."

Is she trying to say that even though Marin County has tough laws re: abuse/neglect, what ever laws CA has on the books will over ride? Is it possible for them to use this and win?
    Weems is going up against Marin's attorney, who is well-versed in the laws.

The best shot these horses have is through supporting the legal costs - donations are being accepted. Some of the older mares are not going to have anyone advocating for them. Mounting legal defense for this case involving so many horses (potentially) is not cheap.

Leg-up auction is amazing - some of the auctions end today. Check out the Stallion Services donated - its spectacular:

Cash donations can be made here:
    http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html

Auction items
    http://www.legup-auction.org/main

Marin Humane Society - Horse neglect case:
    https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...OJ0MvH7LBLTPIF

Kudos to all those working behind the scenes to protect these horses and create a future for the ones less known and older.
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Jan. 10, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Whatever, Down Yonder. Don't breed to him. I know what we have seen in the KIDS, and I stand by my, and Junior's opinion.

Oh, and I 'hung around" with some of the best jumpers and hunters this country has ever produced. I KNOW my viewpoint is "tainted." And I still like his kids.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

8 members found this post helpful.

Okay, regardless of all the background machinations, speculation,e tc., I think that the general consensus is to help the horses, yes? So, how's about we flip this a little bit onto a more positive note?! As Justabob stated, the leg-Up Auction has some PHENOMENAL stallions there. Anyone here disagree that it's for the right reason? . And, I definitely think that all of those who stepped up to help deserve HUGES accolades. I truly cannot say enough. I am heartsick about all that has transpired, but when I wander through the pages, looking at all the beautiful stallions and the wonderful items donated, it gives me a REALLY good feeling! Heartwarming. Inspired! Doing something good! So, take some of this vitriol and channel it! Go for a walk! Pet the dog! Polish your halos ! Go bid on something in the auction!!! Yeah!! That's it! Go bid!

Five items a night will close. Tonight is the first five items. They close before midnight on the east coast! So, Bid and bid often! And remember, it is hopefully helping those that need the help the most! The horses!

Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

14 members found this post helpful.

I found it curious in the RMHP article that it said the new owner "is unaware of the horse's present condition." This doesn't make sense to me. Not sure what the legalities are, but I sure hope someone is going to repay all of those vet bills.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I found it curious in the RMHP article that it said the new owner "is unaware of the horse's present condition." This doesn't make sense to me. Not sure what the legalities are, but I sure hope someone is going to repay all of those vet bills.
    Let's hope the new owner of RS bought insurance on him before hand. And hoping even more, that JB has insurance as well that could be collected off of.

Let's say the rest of the horses(stallions, mares, foals) that are legally Jill's, are taken by MHS, and are deemed to be not returned to her, what happens to them? Will they go up for adoption? I hope the stallions get adopted by a reputable and honest breeder that can continue their careers and stay standing.

I love the leg-up stallion list wow! I hope they are utilized by the mare owners who did have breeding contracts with GFF stallions.

Eta: I know the other stallions name has not been mentioned(anyone know who was?) but I really hope he is ok as well(he wasn't removed was he?) and that RS recovers well from his injuries
    Last edited by Miss J; Jan. 10, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: ETA

I apologize that I confused Rising Star and Rising Phoenix. I think Rising Star will be a great situation for Romantic Star to enter stud. A lot better than the situation he is currently in and Im happy to see someone step up to the plate... Hopefully good things start occuring soon. Those photos are horrible

2 members found this post helpful.

What RSF is doing or is going to do is a moot point. The goal here is to get all the others to safe homes, caring owners and help Marin rescue fund the effort, as well has help those who were scammed.

Keeping the topic on RSF and any connnection with JB and speculating as to that is taking the thread off course from getting the $$ in to help these horses.

Backing out now. The auction doesn't last that much longer, so let's do what we can to make it a rousing success for the critters we all love and know deserve relief and quickly.

This whole thing is an engaging story worthy of a novel for sure. But the novel can be written later. The goal is to help the horses, no?

6 members found this post helpful.

Its the older mares and mares in foal that I worry so much about - now that this is in the news, their chances are better.

Cash donations were easy to make through the Leg-up main page (for those of us without a broodmare !):

See this thread for auction items that close soon:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...52#post6774252

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    Its the older mares and mares in foal that I worry so much about - now that this is in the news, their chances are better.
    Agreed. The winds have been around 20 mph, today, and the forecast for tonight is temps going down below freezing, into the 20's.

This just came across my FB news feed and it is extremely appropriate for this thread. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...29697433_n.jpg

I did consider posting it to JB's wall, but I am not that brave!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Are we even sure we ought to buy the "stallion fight" story? Those photos show a property that is an absolute horse-trap - entirely plausible that Romantic Star got himself entangled in one of those junk piles.
    No kidding. If any horse got out of that fencing, the property is a death trap of used bikes. I wouldn't expect a horse to escape that tangle of bike parts without significant damage - be lucky not to break a leg.
    I just can't get over the photo of her dogs sitting in cages out in the middle of a field surrounded by mounds of junk. I hope they are rescued as well.
    You are what you dare.

[QUOTE=Justa Bob;6774257]Its the older mares and mares in foal that I worry so much about - now that this is in the news, their chances are better.

Yes, this is what worries me the most. The aged, open mares, and those that are heavy in foal. If I lived closer I'd take them here and foal them out safely.

This is what worries me the most.