The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 168 of 224 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter87 View Post
    I was just on Rising Star's facebook page which is extremely active with lots of photos, high end Stallion ad's, etc. A new up and coming horse business which is highly based off of horses from Jill's and there has never been one mention of Romantic Star being owned or purchased by Rising Star (as mentioned in the article) and I find that extremely, extremely odd considering he is a highly successful and highly well known stallion in the H/J community. If they purchased the stallion; you'd think that they'd be raving about it all over the place about the new addition. He was never mentioned in any of their new stallion ads for 2013 either. Breeding season is very quickly approaching and I find it very odd that there has beenno mention of this "purchase" from the Rising Star end of the deal. It's just very WEIRD
    About an hour ago looks like they posted about purchasing him, and the "situation".

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Twisted River - consider the following. Most responsible Stallion owners and Stallions Stations require that stallions are vaccinated yearly for EVA. I had Popeye test in Germany before importation - he was negative and he has been vaccinated yearly since he started standing at stud. The EVA vaccine is a LIVE vaccine so specific protocol has to be followed specifically with respect the 30 days post vaccination.
    Given the fact that Redwine is EVA pos and sheds in his semen other protocol applies to when the semen is collected, prepared and shipped. Information is available on the internet about this. Specifically EQUIPMENT used on that stallion should be completely seperate from that used on other stallions. The photos of Jill's "lab" at her last farm and ones of this farm are not what I would ever accept for semen that I would want for my mares.
    I also have sat down and calculated what it costs us per mare and foal and horses and ponies yearlings and older per year and it is a rather significant amount of money. Throw in Coggins, trims, teeth, worming, etc. and the number grows. We feed the best feed and buy high quality have and do have pasture turn out for all of ours on the farm.
    Applying those same costs per horse/pony to the numbers that GFF has been stating 30-35 per year - and the cost is easy to calculate. The photos of her last farm and this setup is, IMHO unacceptable and clearly shows that lack of funds may be an issue. In that regard, it would not be un-reasonable to expect that horses/ponies may not have received proper innoculations, food, worming, etc. This is not piling on or attempting to affect anyone's breeding business - it's just comparing the existing conditions with what is acceptable for the industry and coming to the conclusion that the horses/ponies are being short changed and buyers should consider that.
    (bolded the part I'm addressing) Yes, I completely agree with all of this. Perhaps I'll have to re-read what I wrote as I wasn't trying to imply anything different.

horsenut took issue with this statement of yours
    Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    As far as the stallion owner who purports to have purchased Romantic Star. It shocks me that any stallion owner would want to move any horse - better yet a stallion from a situation like this - where there is one stallion that sheds - without a strict quarantine before shipping. I never cease to be amazed at this horror story...
    The point of my statement was simply that we should give the benefit of the doubt to Rising Star Farm that they are taking all the necessary precautions, that the stallion will get the necessary quarantine and other precautions that most of us are in agreement Jill Burnell has not been taking.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think that posting on this thread a person's own speculations or repeat of hearsay gossip and, in doing so, possibly harming the business of another entity in the equine industry could lead to the poster being sued for libel. I'd limit myself to the facts unless one has very deep pockets and a fondness for being in court.

4 members found this post helpful.

More importantly, have there been any updates on the condition of RS? Is he doing well at the vets? How about the mares?

This might have already been stated but here is how you can help.

http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    I'm still catching up on reading this thread, but I have to say you are doing a mighty fine job of trying to get the negative attention off Gray Fox Farms, and on to the other farm. I have no dog in this fight - never heard of either farm until this thread to be honest - but your hysterical rantings have me wondering why.
    No wondering needed. I don't like to see innocent people dragged into something. It's a pretty big leap to suggest I was chastising isse and true colours over their treatment of Rising Star to deflect the attention from Gray Fox?

And it was a tantrum not hysterical rant fwiw.
    Last edited by horsenut93136; Jan. 10, 2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Horsenut, I confess to reacting out of context and I should not have done so. I was reacting to your seeming to object to SOs offering opinions that you felt showed sour grapes. Rereading shows that there was more to it. I am sorry. I am glad to see any of the horses land safely in any good home.

5 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=DownYonder;6773664]
    Quote Originally Posted by horsenut93136 View Post

Hmm, I guess it would depend on what one's definition of "talented" is. I know folks who think he is the bee's knees for siring line horses, or low-level hunters (3 ft or under), but also know other folks who think he is seriously lacking in scope and ability for upper level hunters. If that is "bashing", so be it...
    I believe it's an "unwritten" rule that you don't come on this board and bash another member's stallion. While I'm not sure why, it's rarely done. There are several SOs that post regularly on this board that I'd dearly love to pick apart - I'd geld them in a heartbeat. But, it's.just.not.done.

Just a friendly public service announcement!
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

4 members found this post helpful.

I am wondering if anyone is still in connection with equinedriver? Her/his profile shows last activity was October 16th. I know a lot of people sent PMs, and maybe emails? Obviously we don't need to know the nature of the communication, but it would be reassuring to hear if anyone is still contact with her/him.

[QUOTE=Go Fish;6773802]
    Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post

I believe it's an "unwritten" rule that you don't come on this board and bash another member's stallion. While I'm not sure why, it's rarely done. There are several SOs that post regularly on this board that I'd dearly love to pick apart - I'd geld them in a heartbeat. But, it's.just.not.done.

Just a friendly public service announcement!
    Go Fish why does it look like my comment when it was Down Yonder's ???
    Last edited by horsenut93136; Jan. 10, 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Horsenut, I confess to reacting out of context and I should not have done so. I was reacting to your seeming to object to SOs offering opinions that you felt showed sour grapes. Rereading shows that there was more to it. I am sorry. I am glad to see any of the horses land safely in any good home.
    I appreciate that Mary Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted River View Post
    I am wondering if anyone is still in connection with equinedriver? Her/his profile shows last activity was October 16th. I know a lot of people sent PMs, and maybe emails? Obviously we don't need to know the nature of the communication, but it would be reassuring to hear if anyone is still contact with her/him.
    I was wondering that too. Worried.
    A simple answer of 'ED is fine no need to worry' is enough from someone in the know.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dianehalpin View Post
    I've just read the newsletter feeling nauseated. What a pile of --------! Ms. Burnell, you belong behind bars. I hope that no one ran to PayPal to deliver more money for Jill to spend on Jill while the horses starve, cripple themselves, kill each other, etc. What an uncommon criminal the woman is! I probably should stop following this story, as she really does make me sick.
    Now we see past the "Holiday Glow"... behind the "smoke and mirrors" of lush verdant pastures of GGF.
    Beyond comprehension!

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days. And because Jill has in the past blown off concerns by mare owners - many of whom are novice enough to not know about or understand the disease. (Not to mention she has even gone so far as to tell some of them they didn't need to worry about vaccinating their mares, as they would be "naturally vaccinated" against EVA by breeding to Redwine.)
    No,that is not the reason. "Black and blingy" is not "all the rage" in hunterland, and compared to foals produced, there really aren't that many black ones. The FACT is that he seems to be very prepotent in producing things a hunter breeder looks for: pretty, correct, good movers, good jumpers, great minds. I have yet to hear of/from an owner who was disappointedin their Redwine foal. I am sure there are some, but they certainly aren't very vocal. Any idiot can see the consistency in typeand appearance he throws, bred to who knows how many mares. We have seen or had enough of them to be fans of the stallio, and regardless of Jill's antics, will remain fans.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

12 members found this post helpful.

Also, please excuse the excessive number of typos in my recent posts. I have a broken wrist and am typing with one hand and "hunting and pecking." I also forget there is no auto capitalization and punctuation like ther is on my iPad. So sorry...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I think the fact that so many HAVE bred to GGF stallions, despite the rumors, and Jill’s subpar business practices speaks volumes about the horses.

I am not a breeder, but personally, I think Redwine is a very nice stallion. Now imagine how successful he could be a with a competent stallion owner!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    No,that is not the reason. "Black and blingy" is not "all the rage" in hunterland, and compared to foals produced, there really aren't that many black ones. The FACT is that he seems to be very prepotent in producing things a hunter breeder looks for: pretty, correct, good movers, good jumpers, great minds. I have yet to hear of/from an owner who was disappointedin their Redwine foal. I am sure there are some, but they certainly aren't very vocal. Any idiot can see the consistency in typeand appearance he throws, bred to who knows how many mares. We have seen or had enough of them to be fans of the stallio, and regardless of Jill's antics, will remain fans.
    I would just think that giving the option of breedimg to an eva positive stud, with all the extra risks and comcerns, or to an equally proven eva negative stud, one would choose the eva negative. Like I said, just genuinely curious.

Sometimes mare owners are looking for specific bloodlines in a stallion, so I can see why they may opt for the EVA positive horse. However, management is paramount. I recall when Iron Spring Farm was "hit" years ago with several of their awesome stallions becoming EVA positive. But with careful management and education, they did just fine.

[QUOTE=horsenut93136;6773815]
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post

Go Fish why does it look like my comment when it was Down Yonder's ???
    Don't know...I tried to go back and edit, and it wouldn't let me. Sorry!
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I would just think that giving the option of breedimg to an eva positive stud, with all the extra risks and comcerns, or to an equally proven eva negative stud, one would choose the eva negative. Like I said, just genuinely curious.
    Breeding decisions are based on a number of considerations. Two stallions may be equally "proven," but pedigree (both mare and stallion), conformation, intended discipline, offspring, etc. are all aspects that a responsible mare owner takes into account before selecting stallion.

While EVA status is certainly a concern, it would not preclude me from breeding to a positive stallion if that stallion was the best possible match for my mare.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

2 members found this post helpful.