The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 161 of 224 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    So, Romantic Star was sold before the seizure and the new owner Ronda Stavisky is unaware of his condition AND is represented by Weems (Jill's attorney).
    I'd want a different attorney, than the one representing the person accused of neglecting the horse, if I owned him. Just sayin...
    Just a little stallion syndicate developing. What's wrong with that
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Did I see that she claims not to own RS any longer ... that he was sold to Ronda Stavisky (whoever she is????)
    Rising Star farm. She stands several (well thought of) stallions in Georgia. She posts here.

Several = eleven. Twelve with Romantic Star (if she really did buy him...hard to tell with JB)
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

oh well, then since she owns him, she will be on the hook for the care at Davis, right?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    Just saw Rate My Horse Pro's new updated story with the photos...what a dump! http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/c...ues-arise.aspx
    FINALLY a comprehensive story. Not hearsay FACTS. I have been repeating that she has open judgements, that there is NO WAY that Marin county would allow her to live on the property in a camper (friend just built a house down the same road, lots of hoops to jump through).

HURRAY for Marin county authorities!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    FINALLY a comprehensive story. Not hearsay FACTS. I have been repeating that she has open judgements, that there is NO WAY that Marin county would allow her to live on the property in a camper (friend just built a house down the same road, lots of hoops to jump through).

HURRAY for Marin county authorities!
    Agreed it was a very good write up. Take note, Brad.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

5 members found this post helpful.

Anyone else see that sad looking gray horse in the second-to-last-photo. God how I want to go get him/her NOW.

Thank you RMHP for the informative article and photos.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

For the folks who are concerned about the horses being outside with no shelter - the area when they are located is a very mild area - while we did have a bunch of rain , the temps are generally very mild..... rarely freezing - rarely higher than 80 in the summer.... In fact there are many many horses that live around here without shelters - so while this is not how i would do it the horses seem to be fine.

so, while there are many things to worry about in this case, thankfully the weather/temps is not one of them.
    Last edited by mbm; Jan. 10, 2013 at 01:55 AM.

3 members found this post helpful.

So, Romantic Star was sold before the seizure and the new owner Ronda Stavisky is unaware of his condition AND is represented by Weems (Jill's attorney).
    I'd want a different attorney, than the one representing the person accused of neglecting the horse, if I owned him. Just sayin...
    This is exactly what Zlotych posted yesterday and was bashed for. She was right.
    Jill also has one of Rhondas mares in her broodmare band, backing up as well a working relationship as Zlotych mentioned. The mare is Oiselle and you will find her on both their websites.

http://www.grayfoxfarms.com/oiselle.htm

4 members found this post helpful.

Counsel for Marin Humane Society is Bruce Wagman - finally legal representation for the horses!

http://www.schiffhardin.com/attorney...wagman-bruce-a

Mr. Wagman has a nationwide practice and represents many animal protection groups, as well as individual clients. He is the author of Animal Law: Cases and Materials, the first casebook used in law schools on the subject, currently in its fourth edition. In 2011, he was the lead author of A Worldview of Animal Law, a first-of-its-kind survey of the legal and cultural treatment of animals internationally. Mr. Wagman's animal law practice is featured in a section of the book Careers in Animal Law: Welfare, Protection, and Advocacy (American Bar Association, 2011).

11 members found this post helpful.

what i find fascinating is that if you go by JB's web site she has sold +/- 50 horses/foals over the last few years - if you say 10k each that is 500,000

where did all that money go? I wonder if the IRS knows about all those sales?

also, if the website is to believed there are a lot of really nice foals/horses out there......

i wonder what will happen to them if they take them all? I hope they end up at facilities that can care for and appreciate them and not end up like so many other rescues.... being handled and "trained" by backyard wannabees....

this whole thing is just so sad..... clearly JB has a good eye for horseflesh and it is just terrible that she has allegedly done so much harm.

I want to give Marin County props for doing such a great job - and also all those folks behind the scenes who have worked hard to bring justice.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 216 Jumper View Post
    This is exactly what Zlotych posted yesterday and was bashed for. She was right.
    Jill also has one of Rhondas mares in her broodmare band, backing up as well a working relationship as Zlotych mentioned. The mare is Oiselle and you will find her on both their websites.

http://www.grayfoxfarms.com/oiselle.htm
    Other way around. Jill was given that mare by a client of Hap Hansen's (I believe) and she made her way to RSF. I remember the mare from her showing days. RSF was on this and other boards posting about the mare being in foal to her late stallion for 2012. Not sure if she ever foaled though.
    Last edited by COTHalter44; Jan. 10, 2013 at 04:44 AM.

MBM, lots of horses can live out year round. However in small pens with no windbreak or protection from the sun are not considered appropriate for horse keeping. Even with blankets. Here a hedgerow qualifies as a shelter. Provides a windbreak and shelter. Living out 24/7 if you have the appropriate environment is always better. Do you look at those pictures and think that's acceptable?

And then there's the fodder situation. I don't know how grass grows in California but at this time of year even if you have it there's generally very little in nutritional value. So living out with that many horses means they should have hay in front of them most of the time. Such as big rounds to eat when needed. She has nowhere to store hay from what I'm seeing so is she getting hay per day? Seems to me at the very least she needs a bale per day per horse. $200 a day to feed hay at least going by small bale prices. And judging by her ground, even if they had the best of stables it's still going to cost that much. I have 7. I know what it cost me a day in hay and haylage. No way I could have 30. I have pretty easy keepers in terms of food but hay and haylage are not negotiable.

So yeah, there's living out and living out. This is not an example of how horses can live out appropriately.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

5 members found this post helpful.

According to the RMHP article, the running water on the property has not been approved.

It is doubtful then, when the county demands that code be observed (thus putting an end to the running water and the camper trailer) that the horses will be on the property for much longer.

well.... i didnt say it was acceptable - i said that for the folks worrying - the weather isn't harsh - is is very mild - it rarely freezes and doesn't get hot. THis time of the year it also doesn't get very windy.....

there are many boarding facilities (one right down the road from this place) that turn the horses out all day long in facilities such as those. they also have horses out 24x7 - the horses get fed am + pm. they do have run in shelters but they are rarely used this time of year.

anyway, it isn't t legal in Marin country but for those that were very worried - weather isn't really something to worry about here for horses that are healthy.

as for hay - who knows? our bales are big here - upwards of 100lbs.... but still it needs to be stored somewhere.....

2 members found this post helpful.

Chileno Valley current weather (11:30 pm, local time):
    40F, low to 38F, 50% chance showers. Wind 6 mph. Wind chill 37F

Thursday: High 49F, low 34F chance of showers, then partly cloudy
    Friday: High 50F, low 33F mostly sunny, then partly cloudy
    Saturday: High 51F, low 33F, mostly sunny

The winter is mild compared to other parts of the country, but it's still cold at night. Hopefully (how often have we said that) they're being fed a bit extra to keep warm and some weight on.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Why are we focusing on temperatures? So what it's a mild climate. That's not the point. Those are ideal temps for a horse. That place could easily have 10 horses on it year round no problem with proper management. 30 including stallions could be son but you'd need much better facilities and a system in place. Some mental stimulation, mares and young horses getting the exercise they need ect and knowing that 24/7 living out isn't probably going to work. Facilities don't have to be fancy. They have to work to keep your horses healthy and happy.

Look it, I live in a mild climate. Horses live out here year round. Mine don't as I have 10 acres and 6 horses. Also the rain means mud. And this past year has been mud all year round. I also can't have too much grass for my lot. I have to manage accordingly. I have some saved paddocks and the rest are quagmires. So they do not live out 24/7. If you saw my horses hanging out eating their hay right now you'd not have a great opinion of me. So in at half day to big bedded stables with plenty of forage and fresh clean water. Afternoons everyone goes out sans rugs to the arena for a run around and rolls. Mix into that being ridden depending. So mentally I'm trying to make sure they have enough of everything they need to stay healthy and happy. This weather beats them up as much as me. So it's not really about temps, fantastic facilities, how rich you are ect. It's about how you manage what you've got and make it work for your horses physical and mental well being. If its not working you have to change. You need to get down to what you can manage.

And I will say this, if any if you reading this feel Jill is getting a bad rap because you know she's just setting up and things will change, cop on. If any of you are the "new" owners of her horses til the dust settles then get out of the business. Why are you even trying to make this right? She created this mess. She's cheated people but more importantly she's capable of giving horses the basics in life. That's wrong. This isn't a little over stretched. This is neglect. Quit enabling. Quit thinking it will get better. Open your eyes. We're all supposed to be in this business because we love horses. If this was me I'd hope I'd have friends that would have reported me sooner, friends that would make sure I coped on and didn't try and help me hide horses til the heat was off. Because if they cared about me and the horses that's what they'd do really. At the end of the day when you have a business involving living breathing creatures you have to think of more than the bottom line. Oh yeah it's important but pretending next year's foal crop and breedings are going to get you out of a big hole is never going to work. It just gets you further in a hole. A realistic bottom line should also be a reason for breeding less and concentrating on a select few.

I've rambled on enough and I have work to do.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i wonder what will happen to them if they take them all? I hope they end up at facilities that can care for and appreciate them and not end up like so many other rescues.... being handled and "trained" by backyard wannabees....
    Whoa, way to insult the people who give their time and money to save all and any equine. Just because these horses are 'worth more' doesnt make them any different. Those 'backyard wannabees' are out there saving horses lives. How many top hunter people with tons of money do you see out there rescuing horses?

32 members found this post helpful.

Not sure what the relationship is between Jill and Ronda, however if RS makes his way to Ronda's farm he'll be a MILLION times better cared for. Ronda's horses and babies always look fantastic, and I've never heard of anyone having issues with her as as stallion owner or seller. Semen comes when shipped. Breeding certificates are issued. Foals sold are healthy. Vendors and service providers get paid.

If Jill wants to ship all her stallions out to stand at other places, I'd be happy with that. I have no issues with the stallions. I don't even mind if she gets future income from them. I just don't want semen SHE has processed anywhere within a half mile radius of any of my horses. I don't think she should be running a breeding band, since we've seen the hoarding getting out of control and care is diminishing. I don't think she has the organization skills to keep track of a breeding business (things like remembering to send out paperwork and clean up your equipment).

That said, I think that if Ronda enters into any sort of serious business relationship with Jill, it will be short lived. It sounds like she (Jill) has a long history of burning bridges with the people who are trying to help her. Ronda will eventually get tired of covering bounced checks or not getting paid. On paper she'll own the horse anyhow..... end of that story. Just my prediction if that is what is happening here.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

6 members found this post helpful.

Hmm, guess it was a pretty good ASSumption, eh Saje?

Ronda is going to have to auction off alot of $200 breedings to her stallions to cover her bills. If she can get folks willing to support her, after she's been enabling Jill all along. Not the kind of business ethics I'd care to support.

15 members found this post helpful.