The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 153 of 224 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 4466

my point was that they will use this thread (and anything similar out there like posts on her FB page) as a defense saying that certain people were out to destroy her business etc.

I absolutely think folks should have a way to find out what is happening, but perhaps a different thread could be used for that?

Haven had interactions with these folks before I can see where this will go and why give them ammo?

It's out there. The internet is forever.

Don't forget it is California. The state is in dire straits financially, as are many/most of the counties and municipalities - and jails and legal systems already strained to the breaking point. If there are only a few outstanding warrants here or there, they may not be particularly eager to pursue them and would rather focus their energies and dwindling resources on chasing folks involved in violent crime, drug peddling, etc.
    Well, I used to work at the Court room in my town (in Quebec, Canada) and we were joking around with some arrest warrants that were active forever that police litterally have to trip over the guy in the street in order to make the arrest and bring him to Court.

I guess it is not the case only in Quebec.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

What should be done, and probably is, is work that isn't mentioned on this thread. What's out there is out there, but, don't give them any new ammunition or a heads up about what direction everyone is taking.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    what the folks should do that have been defrauded is find a lawyer to represent them ALL and fight back.

Given who is involved and how this is playing out people will need to be firm and prepared to fight.
    THIS! I hope that anyone who has been defrauded will fight back to the best of their ability. I know it is hard, with little reward, but it is going to be the best means to get Jill to STOP. I can see the animal welfare portion of the case not ending as we are all hoping; I pray, pray, pray that I'm wrong, but I've just seen it happen too many times. And if she does not receive punishment for the animal care issues then all that is left is the fraud.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    What should be done, and probably is, is work that isn't mentioned on this thread. What's out there is out there, but, don't give them any new ammunition or a heads up about what direction everyone is taking.
    yes i thought it was really not smart to be giving the game plan here on a public BB where they can read just as well as others - talking about something happening on X day in the future etc - you dont think they scrambled to have their defenses all in place for each time the "game" was given away here?

oh and fwiw, the state of California is under legal order to reduce the number of prisoners - so i dont think the state of CA would be seeking any kind of prison/jail punishment in this case....

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    yes i thought it was really not smart to be giving the game plan here on a public BB where they can read just as well as others - talking about something happening on X day in the future etc - you dont think they scrambled to have their defenses all in place for each time the "game" was given away here?
    I do not see any game plan posted here that is not available publicly. We are not getting inside information just stuff that is already reported and printed in various news media.

2 members found this post helpful.

if it wasnt for this thread; Marin County wouldnt even be investigating Jill Burnell of Gray Fox Farms right now.

17 members found this post helpful.

i was talking about when folks were posting saying that the AC would be doing something monday etc etc. this just gives them a heads up.

as for this thread - i agree, but it *will* be used against the prosecution - and i am betting that it will be taken down as the attorney's will request it is my guess...

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    What are the pending warrants against her and where do they originate from?
    Info is here: http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/equine...defendant.aspx
    -Amor vincit omnia-

It is the defrauded people that have the strongest case, IMO. Unpaid bills, warrants in debt, bounced check, chicken feed to law enforcement. But selling something you don't have to sell, and often never had, and taking full payment for it, is a much bigger deal. THOSE people need to really go after her.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Well according to this, people have a right to comment on line.
    http://bristowbeat.com/news/va-court...omment-online/

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    It is the defrauded people that have the strongest case, IMO. Unpaid bills, warrants in debt, bounced check, chicken feed to law enforcement. But selling something you don't have to sell, and often never had, and taking full payment for it, is a much bigger deal. THOSE people need to really go after her.
    agree. if they banded together and fought it could do some good. the AC stuff will all be dropped...... is my guess.

If I remember correctly there was mention of shipping semen to Canada without proper protocol. It seems like that would be a big thing to the Federal folks that are in charge of that.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter87 View Post
    if it wasnt for this thread; Marin County wouldnt even be investigating Jill Burnell of Gray Fox Farms right now.
    I don't believe that, people still have phones to contact them directly.

Several people wondered why she would leave all the negative posts on FB. I'm thinking that might have been deliberate. Combine that with this thread and i think mbm is correct.

There is an awful lot of speculation, f/u on rumors (such as the body score) and then there are the facts. The fact thread was started but only got to 7 responses.

Of course people are allowed to comment (to FalseImpression) but that doesn't mean she can't use those comments to support her case of harassment.

What I myself find a bit odd is this:

According to Weems, on Dec. 26, two stallions got into a fight. Weems said a young stallion jumped out of his paddock and into another stallion’s pen. She stated that both animals were immediately attended to. While the stallion owners, veterinarians and the Burnells, who care for approximately 30 horses on the property, were deciding whether to take one of the stallions to a clinic for additional treatment, the Marin Humane Society responded to a complaint about the property, at which time they impounded one of the stallions and an older mare

The MHS seized the horses on the 27th.....but the way Weems statement is written above, they happened to show up just after said stallion fight on the 26th. So the story doesn't match facts. Is anyone else reading it that way?

5 members found this post helpful.

But if the wronged people have proof, then it isn't just trying to tear her business down. I DO think that anyone not having a direct business/horse roblem with her should refrain from posting, as that could be construed as piling on. But if the people, and i am assuming they have all the documentation/communications, that are really wronged are posting, I don't see how it can be used agaist prosecution.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Well a picture is worth a thousand words and those photos of where she processed the semen and the dead chicken, etc. was sent to the California State Veterinarian. So there are valid issues here that the State should be considering. Also the dead chickens - well any municipal or county health officer can get involved when something like that happens.
    I don't believe for a moment there has been "piling on" here - just complete disgust that we have situations like this in our industry and layers of government and equine organizations have been slow to get involved.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I find it a bit hard to believe that she would file harassment charges against so many people. But then again - she does have a lawyer on her payroll ( no doubt paying her off in Redwine breedings or foals).

And don't know how CA criminal court treats "harassment", but in GA, typically a plaintiff gets a temporary restraining order issued against the defendant (through Superior Court). I believe TRO's typically expire within 10 days of issuance, unless the court extends the expiration date with agreement from the defendant. To get a full protective order issued, there has to be a hearing, in which the defendant is allowed to present evidence and cross examine witnesses.

And I for one am rather skeptical she would show up in court time and again to testify in harassment hearings. It would rather open the door for her to be picked up for the outstanding arrest warrants.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

The MHS seized the horses on the 27th.....but the way Weems statement is written above, they happened to show up just after said stallion fight on the 26th. So the story doesn't match facts. Is anyone else reading it that way?

The timeline could make sense. Entirely unrelated to this particular situation, I could certainly imagine a scenario where a vet is called out on emergency to treat an injured animal. That same vet could have knowledge that his office has an unpaid balance and may assess that there is no active plan to get the animal to a facility where the animal could receive medically necessary care... just hypothesizing, mind you, that vet might then call the local authorities to make absolutely sure that the medically necessary care was arranged for one way or another. In such a situation, the authorities might take possession of the animals promptly especially if the owner was faced with a surrender or get medical care immediately option. Since most clinics require your credit card to enter the building before the animal does, that makes surrender the only option available to people with limited financial means. Or so I gather from watching Animal Planet.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

2 members found this post helpful.