The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 147 of 224 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 4466

Daventry, we obviously cross posted. We are in a wait and see situation, and I'm sure so many here are going to have "angst". We just have to ride it out, and hope the humans that were also abused and were the victims of fraud can "complete the picture" for the legal system to do the right thing and shut this woman down.

I understand the horse abuse is criminal and the fraud is civil...and often those 2 courts never meet (backflash to OJ Simpson).

[Stuff] happens.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jan. 7, 2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: language

Actually, the fight is not a fabricated excuse. Her stallion husbandry isn't exactly good, and everyone is well aware a strand or two of hot tape being the only thing separating them is stupid. The body score is separate from the injuries incurred during the fight.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Chronicle didn't soft peddle. They printed quotes from Jill's lawyer, and from the MHS representative. I doubt the validity of the lawyer's statement, but without independent confirmation or negation, they can only print statements.
    There is no reason to believe any of it, stallion fight included. She is Jill's mouthpiece now. Jill has told me in the past that RS is EXTREMELY difficult to handle during breeding season, as in vicious. So no telling how he really got hurt.

Don't shoot the messenger.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

4 members found this post helpful.

I just saw this online, with a photo! OMG I'm hoping that's just some random photo they applied since it appears to have saddle sore and isn't from her ranch. But if it is random, those kinds of things don't help the situation either.

Harrington confirmed that the ranch being investigated is Gray Fox Farms, a remote hilltop property with a Petaluma address

http://novato.patch.com/articles/2-m...reeder-s-ranch

PS: I did just email the author of that article asking for clarification if that photo really belongs with it...we'll see what I hear back.

RS was never an issue when he was at his previous place in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Chronicle didn't soft peddle. They printed quotes from Jill's lawyer, and from the MHS representative. I doubt the validity of the lawyer's statement, but without independent confirmation or negation, they can only print statements.
    There is no reason to believe any of it, stallion fight included. She is Jill's mouthpiece now. Jill has told me in the past that RS is EXTREMELY difficult to handle during breeding season, as in vicious. So no telling how he really got hurt.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I would assume that photo is not related.

"In this file photo, a horse has open sores from being overridden. Credit D'Ann White"

It says it is a file photo, which means not from this case but just a generic picture.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.

Lauriep. Understood. Chronicle can only report on what they are told, not conjecture. I was conjecturing and should not have done so. We tend to base things on our own experiences, so I was at fault here. Regardless of the stallion injury...should not take the thread off course from all the other horses and fraud with her clients.

Those “patch” articles are often garbage. They are not written by real news agencies or reporters. Seems like they got some facts mixed up.

Jill Burnell is NO LONGER IN PETALUMA (Sonoma County). That farm was foreclosed on. New property is Marin County – hence Marin County authorities.

And they go on to blame the economy for breeder’s problems. Jill Burnell has been defaulting on bills and scamming people for YEARS, well before the economy crashed!

Photo has nothing to do with this case.

Quote Originally Posted by 216 Jumper View Post
    I just saw this online, with a photo! OMG I'm hoping that's just some random photo they applied since it appears to have saddle sore and isn't from her ranch. But if it is random, those kinds of things don't help the situation either.

Harrington confirmed that the ranch being investigated is Gray Fox Farms, a remote hilltop property with a Petaluma address

http://novato.patch.com/articles/2-m...reeder-s-ranch

PS: I did just email the author of that article asking for clarification if that photo really belongs with it...we'll see what I hear back.

3 members found this post helpful.

Even if it is more wrong than right it gets her name out there. Hopefully we will have an official statement from MHS soon.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyhunter View Post
    I am the owner of Rothchild, Jill has cancelled our vet appointment, foal is in our name at USEF. Trying to figure out where to go from here......
    Is there an update on this? Did you get any news on your foal?

Since Jill said he was with a new owner, could he have been given in payment to the shipper, real estate agent, or lawyer?

I think they are getting the Petaluma address thing from her website, which has never changed.
    Laurie

It would be nice if those reporting for the local news had even a clue as to what they were writing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Those “patch” articles are often garbage. They are not written by real news agencies or reporters. Seems like they got some facts mixed up.

Jill Burnell is NO LONGER IN PETALUMA (Sonoma County). That farm was foreclosed on. New property is Marin County – hence Marin County authorities.

And they go on to blame the economy for breeder’s problems. Jill Burnell has been defaulting on bills and scamming people for YEARS, well before the economy crashed!

Photo has nothing to do with this case.
    I'm a local editor for Patch and they actually hire real journalists who went to school for this stuff. I have 12 years of experience as a journalist.

I live across the country, but Brent's doing his best to report the facts and get the information out there (the article stated it couldn't confirm the farm's name or location, but through another source). Reporter's have to confirm info before posting it. These are the facts he has.

Not all Patch stories are garbage and most of us are real journalists. In fact, to work for Patch, you go through a more rigorous interview process than most community newspapers. And most of us put in 60+ hour weeks dutifully reporting news from our communities that we love.

Patch or Brent never blamed the economy. He interviewed another breeder in Marin County to get perspective. Good for him. I've never met Brent. But having seen his work trying to understand a story he knows little about, I have a lot of respect for him.

I'm sure if you have an issue with Brent's story, he'd be happy to discuss it with you.

10 members found this post helpful.

I think the story reads as a down on her luck breeder. That is not the story and as you can read, has been going on for a long time.

I also think the story written whether intentionally or otherwise is distorted and not the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I think they are getting the Petaluma address thing from her website, which has never changed.
    It has changed on the GFF FB page to a PO Box.

PO Box 2896
    Petaluma, California 94953

I am sorry if I offended you, and obviously I must not be well informed regarding patch.

My personal experience is that the patch articles I read tend to be a mix match of information contained in other stories, and can be confused / miss leading.

Kudos to this writer for going out and doing interviews regarding horse breeding and the economy, but he totally missed the boat on this story. It would be cool if he looked up the Sonoma County records (I have previously linked to them on this thread) and pointed out this breeder’s long list of defaults, and found the foreclosure on the ranch in Petaluma.

Unfortunately I have found patch articles unreliable.

3 members found this post helpful.

Some breeders have had a "down economy" for years, having nothing to do with the national economy.
    As for the address, in that area of Marin, they all get their mail in Petaluma, as there is no rural delivery. They also have 707 area codes, even though they are physically in Marin.

No offense. I get yelled at daily by folks who accuse me of bias/not doing my job or whatever (or just plain don't like that the pic from their DUI arrest was posted) ... It takes a lot to offend me! Very thick skin.

Just wanted to get it out there that we are professional journalists who take pride in their work and try very hard to get the news out that matters to our community.

I'm sure Brent would value your input. I encourage you to contact him.

A simple google search once he got the breeder's name would have led Brent to this thread which would have provided more insight for his article (like the fact that she moved)

2 members found this post helpful.