The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 146 of 224 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 4466

Luckily it sounds like Marin is tough and being Marin they should have good coffers.....

1 members found this post helpful.

coffer? I just read the other case someone posted, it was in Sonoma County, the county she moved from. The trainer use to be BIG when I was still living in Marin.

Marin is a very high end place to live and charges a lot of taxes so I assume that Animal Control has resources (hence why they have been on this from the start) ...

The other case whatever the merit of the accusation - was a smear campaign by a "rescue" (aka hoarder) trying to smear the person charged..... very different situation

Yes, she does have that right (JB), and there are reasons why certain professions get a bad rap.

I work in a law related field (in a small office with two attorneys), we do “boring” Title / contract related stuff.

I see Ms. Weems lists a different type of specialization:

“The firm handles DUI, drug possession, manufacturing and distribution charges and other criminal matters.”

So she is used to representing a certain “element” of society.

6 members found this post helpful.

Yes Marin is very expensive to live.. My dad always complains about how much in taxes he has to pay every year for his place.. She is one of those lawyers my Dad didn't want to be.. I always used a name but I don't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deardra75 View Post
    Yes Marin is very expensive to live.. My dad always complains about how much in taxes he has to pay every year for his place.. She is one of those lawyers my Dad didn't want to be.. I always used a name but I don't remember it.
    1-800-LAW-FIRM? McLawyer?

LOL yeah... and ambulance chaser I think is the name he would always say. and he had a family law case a long long time ago.. and a druggie case.. he was like never again way way too much drama! hence he is a banking/agricultural lawyer.

If she has horses she should put them at JBs and maybe they can do an exchange for fees.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am wondering if the humane society went into the camper to check on any animals in there. I recall that there was a dog with dog feces all over her former place.

I just hope they don't give the horses back.

This is a huge mess. Shame on that lawyer and shame on JB for abusing/neglecting so many undeserving horses.

Just pathetic.

I don't think this latest turn of events should surprise anyone...Surely no one here actually thought Jill would take any of this laying down? And goodness knows there are always going to be attorneys to take just about any case. I really, really hope that Marin County H.S. dotted every "I" and crossed every "T" in the seizures of those animals; it makes me physically ill to think of them going back to Jill. I would imagine that this case will drag out for months (at least).
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Hopefully the lawyer can talk some sense into her and figure out a way to work it out so it benefits everyone including the horses. I assume they knew this was coming and are ready with their own lawyer. Even a crazy person would realize they need representation in the face of these proceedings. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    I just hope they don't give the horses back.
    Can they go back? I've never dealt with undeveloped property, but from reading what was linked to earlier, the land won't "perc" so sewer/septic can't be put in. How on earth would the same piece of land be able to be zoned to keep horses or any other type of livestock on? It would be just as problematic, waste-wise, as a septic system.

I'm very, very curious about the mention of the apparently other owners of stallions, besides the Burnells. Are there other there, or is there someone else that has ownership claims on them?

That Weems woman is the equine-law equivalent of an ambulance-chaser. Doesn't surprise me one bit she's mixed up with JB. Birds of a feather and all.

I believe the SPCA could use unpaid feed, vet, farrier, etc bills as evidence in court that she cannot afford to properly care for the horses. So i hope they have tons of that kind of info already for the hearing on Jan 8
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Is it just me, or do there seem to be large contradictions or inaccuracies/inconsistencies (not sure which right now) in that story? 30 horses? Fences and shelters being built, the lawyer seemingly being there when Romantic was injured, vet being called and the MHS just happening by at the right moment?

Im not faulting COTH, I'm just baffled by her still succeeding in bs'ing everyone (as it appears) even while being investigated for neglect and cruelty.

I caught the "soft-peddling" in this article immediately. I hope COTH has not gone the way of so many in the media these days that "spins". That would be horrible.

Also nothing mentioned about the fraud and abuse of with her human victims.. At least they could have brought that up as "alleged". Paints a better picture of the TRUE situation.

RE: A stallion fight that injured RS?. Doubtful. If JB is as clever as she is (and obviously so), that's a real easy way to fend his problems off. She's had multiple stallions for YEARS and suddenly one gets loose? Since he's still "standing" and needs to be breeding sound and didn't attend to the injuries...now that's odd. How convenient to blame the problem on a horse fight and ignore it to the point the horse had to be seized. You can see the web of deception once again. And the believers are ostriches.

4 members found this post helpful.

So a horse fight suddenly can cause a body score of 1?!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    So a horse fight suddenly can cause a body score of 1?!
    I hate to defend her here....but no one ever stated or confirmed the stallion had a body score of 1. That was an internet rumour.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

I don't think that body score was confirmed by anyone. The original press release by Marin said the stallion was injured badly enough (or not attended to) to be seized by them.

I admire Marin for being very careful about their terminology and staying "scientific" on the condition of the horses, for legal reasons.

They seem very smart.

Is there a statement coming from Marin today or not?