The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 139 of 224 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,780 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by Stella M View Post
    At least three people have just driven out looking for their horses??

Im sorry, but I SERIOUSLY would advise her neighbor to call Michelle and MHS and make sure they know that people are trying to walk off with evidence in an open cruelty investigation. The only way serious charges/changes can be made is if Jill is left at this point to hang for what she has done. Every horse that "disappears" is one less charge that can be filed against her. Let's hope no one is successful until after she no longer has the right to sell/giveaway/hide horses. And at least at this point the horses are under careful watch as far as making sure they are eating and getting care.
    Meh. I'd much rather that people get their horses back without red tape than that more horses get seized.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

16 members found this post helpful.

It DOES make a difference. Everything gets "plead" down... Animal crimes are hard to get taken seriously in court. Every charge adds up, and she should not get away with what she has done to even one horse. MHS has already said they would get horses back to their rightful owner, and they will take excellent care of them until then.

You cant have it both ways. You must go through the legal process to have meaningful sentences, and these horses should all be considered evidence.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella M View Post
    At least three people have just driven out looking for their horses??

Im sorry, but I SERIOUSLY would advise her neighbor to call Michelle and MHS and make sure they know that people are trying to walk off with evidence in an open cruelty investigation. The only way serious charges/changes can be made is if Jill is left at this point to hang for what she has done. Every horse that "disappears" is one less charge that can be filed against her. Let's hope no one is successful until after she no longer has the right to sell/giveaway/hide horses. And at least at this point the horses are under careful watch as far as making sure they are eating and getting care.
    Sorry Stella but if I had a mare there, the horses welfare comes first. Charges against Jill second. You don't seriously believe the horses should suffer until it gets worked out?

Yes there should be a check system to make sure the person taking the horse owns it.
    Last edited by horsenut93136; Jan. 5, 2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: addition

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    so far all links to news stories have been local community content (ie not real news services) pages. not saying that it wont hit elsewhere - but the links so far all were just pages that anyone can post to.
    The seizure and abuse story was on KCBS news today, meaning that the news is now all over the greater Bay Area.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

12 members found this post helpful.

Hurray!!! The media has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    The seizure and abuse story was on KCBS news today, meaning that the news is now all over the greater Bay Area.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    If she has unpaid vet bills it would be up to the veterinarian's to collect on the bills. There are no laws that require you to have veterinary care for horses.

There may be laws or ordinances, regarding shipping horses without a current Coggins Test on state owned roads. Need a vet for that. Did she have to use state roads to get from the old farm to the new farm? Plus, rabies vaccine is often required , depending on the county you live in. food for thought is all.

1 members found this post helpful.

How bad does it have to get before USEF will suspend, or revoke her membership ?

Not saying they should do it now, just wondering what their threshold is.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

When it goes national even better. The issue of a show pony in h/j drugged to death to show wound up on the front page of the NYTimes a few weeks ago. Let's hope they pick this story up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    How bad does it have to get before USEF will suspend, or revoke her membership ?

Not saying they should do it now, just wondering what their threshold is.

Mardi... sadly, I don't think they have one, so they can escape the ethics issues in horse training, riding, showing and breeding. It just ain't there, obviously.

Clearly none of this should be "regulated"...but there should be a venue to turn in the bad guys so people like JB are not given accolades by these institutions that will continue to foster people like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I am wondering how the he!! Jill moved all those horses from the old place to the new place. Does she have her own truck & trailer?
    She does not own a rig, but rather a few of her friends, including Grand Affair's new "owner" and someone that hauls professionally (will divulge the name via PM), helped her move her entire herd.

If there is a criminal conviction, USEF would be able to act. Since all of this has happened outside of a show, they cannot do anything until there is a conviction. At that point, they would be able to suspend (depending on the conviction). There have been a few examples of this over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by COTHalter44 View Post
    She does not own a rig, but rather a few of her friends, including Grand Affair's new "owner" and someone that hauls professionally (will divulge the name via PM), helped her move her entire herd.
    How can any of them claim to be her friend and continue to pretend that there is nothing wrong. How can any of them claim to be horsemen or women and ignore and there by aid and abet her in the abuse of her animals.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    How can any of them claim to be her friend and continue to pretend that there is nothing wrong. How can any of them claim to be horsemen or women and ignore and there by aid and abet her in the abuse of her animals.
    I don't know. I just know what I was told. It disgusts me completely though.

If there is no septic system on the place, what is Jill doing with the human waste? Burying it on the property? Dumping it in a stream? Sounds like the health department should also be paying a visit.

Sounds logical that the people who helped truck the horses over probably got paid with a horse or two.

"How bad does it have to get before USEF will suspend, or revoke her membership ? Not saying they should do it now, just wondering what their threshold is."
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Mardi... sadly, I don't think they have one, so they can escape the ethics issues in horse training, riding, showing and breeding. It just ain't there, obviously.

Clearly none of this should be "regulated"...but there should be a venue to turn in the bad guys so people like JB are not given accolades by these institutions that will continue to foster people like these.
    What is revoking her USEF membership really going to do? I don't think she has to have a current membership to be on the USEF leading hunter breeders list. Those points are contributed by the owners showing their young horses that are by her stallions…she doesn't need a membership unless she is actively competing a horse herself. As far as IHF, I guess they could refuse to accept her annual stallion nominations, if she was actually going to pay them. But then the people who would actually be punished would be the owners of the young horses by her stallions that would then be ineligible to participate in those programs. Let's be clear...I am in no way defending her - she owes me a substantial amount of money. I'm just trying to understand this train of thought, as it has been mentioned a few times now.

And as far as people trying to retrieve their mares, I would do the same if the mare was rightfully mine and I cared about her. And if I had to drive through her front gate with my truck, or use force to remove the mare from that scene then so be it. Sorry if that sounds unprofessional, but its the truth.
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Sounds logical that the people who helped truck the horses over probably got paid with a horse or two.
    Or maybe Grande Affair's foal (or GA herself) was a trade in that case?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsenut93136 View Post
    I know you posted a link to the parcel #, but any chance you have detailed directions for those people that might have been enroute to pick up their horses?
    if you click on the "view in google maps" link on that page it will take you to where the place is and you can then google map from where you are to where it is. for reference, here is the location in google maps: http://maps.google.com/?q=38.2420374...2.801109401039

Can anyone confirm that Romantic Star was the injured stallion? I had heard he had a body score of 2?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    There may be laws or ordinances, regarding shipping horses without a current Coggins Test on state owned roads. Need a vet for that. Did she have to use state roads to get from the old farm to the new farm? Plus, rabies vaccine is often required , depending on the county you live in. food for thought is all.
    None of that is required within California, FWIW.

WOW how did my stallion's name get mixed up in any article about Jill Burnells abuse, I am sooo upset,.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

2 members found this post helpful.