The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 136 of 224 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    It looks like deadlines vary...from about 1/10 to 1/17 or so. It's on the actual bid page, here is the stallion bid page:

http://www.legup-auction.org/cgi-bin...gory=stallions
    The length of time you will have to use the breeding will vary depending on the stallion owner. Where we had the information, we attempted to put it up. But, if you are unsure, contact the farm that has the stallion for clarification. That way I won't overstep my knowledge .

The auction deadlines are intentionally staggered. No two auction items close at the same time. They are staggered to close 15 mintues apart and to close before midnight EST. That way you don't have to sit up until the wee hours of the morning to bid. Secondly, you cannot attempt to hover your finger over the bid button until the last possible second. ALL of the auctions, when you bid at the end, the time will be extended by 5 more minutes .

Kudos to all the SOs and others who are making this happen.
    Definitely. I cannot thank those that have donated enough. Even if you don't necessarily get an email from someone. We are just flappin' around here like chickens with no heads trying to get everything up and running!

Donating was simple! Kudos to web designer for making the cash donation process a breeze.
    YAY!!! That one I managed to make possible! <breaking arm to pat myself on the back> !
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    I think most of the usage times will be within 2 years... Verify with the owners before bidding!

I have a serious question though... Are we 100% certain the rest of the horses are going to be (or have been) seized?
    We don't know for certain. I'm not willing to speculate, especially as we will know in the next day or two.

What happens if they aren't? To the auction money I mean?
    You mean it can't just go to me??? Sheesh!

But, the intent at the moment should that occur, will be to attempt to work with law enforcement, attorneys, etc., in trying to get legal action moving against the "appropriate individuals". In other words, to have a united location that the injured parties can go to in order to move things along. I think so far the biggest stumbling block is the cost for an individual to pursue much of this. But, if there is one attorney and a pooling of resources, as it were, hopefully a resolution can be achieved!

It is entirely possible that may happen, no matter how much we don't want it to, you know? And what if they don't seize all of them? I'm not at all questioning the helping, just asking if there is a backup plan in place in the event things don't go as we'd like...
    See above. Our goal is raising money to help defer the SPCA's legal expenses in the matter or to help with legal expenses of others who have been harmed by her. We can't speculate beyond that.
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Jan. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM.

Ok, I think that's a fair plan... Thanks for answering so quickly! Sending you another email!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

I just want to make sure than any money donated for the horses while under the care of Marin County will NOT, in any way, reduce the amount she would have to pay to get them back. It is great that things are already in place, but we should know more.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I just want to make sure than any money donated for the horses while under the care of Marin County will NOT, in any way, reduce the amount she would have to pay to get them back. It is great that things are already in place, but we should know more.
    This was posted on another board. If it is 100% accurate, it should hopefully help explain a few things;

"...post-seizure hearing with a court appointed official. (See CA Penal Code 597.1) The purpose being to judge the lawfulness of Marin Humane Society's seizure. Jill gets to say whether or not the horses are hers, and then the hearing officer determines if the seizure was done lawfully by MHS. (It's all part of ensuring due process) If it is judged a lawful seizure, then the case proceeds, and the owner is responsible for ALL care of the horses while in Marin's custody, unless she agrees to surrender them. If the hearing officer finds the seizure UNLAWFUL Jill gets the horses back, with no monetary charges. Marin is a good agency, and Ive never heard of them loosing a post seizure hearing."
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

5 members found this post helpful.

I do wish ratemyhorsepro would make it a bit more clear that the breeders are NOT supporting JB and GFF, but supporting the seized animals and the folks who have been her victims..
    The article at the site made sense to me, however I have been following this thread for a long time. Someone who's first knowledge of this mess comes from reading the RMHP "news" paragraph could easily misunderstand.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    It won't. The donated money will be Marin's money. Not Jill's money. Jill will be responsible for reimbursing Marin.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I do wish ratemyhorsepro would make it a bit more clear that the breeders are NOT supporting JB and GFF, but supporting the seized animals and the folks who have been her victims..
    The article at the site made sense to me, however I have been following this thread for a long time. Someone who's first knowledge of this mess comes from reading the RMHP "news" paragraph could easily misunderstand.

I thought the same thing it was not very clear that the auction etc was NOT to benefit Jill and help with her financial burden.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Default Finally, some news!

Just letting you know that a special page has now been created on the Marin Humane Society website for anyone wanting to donate directly.

https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...iM0KnI3LmM8LAJ
    Last edited by Daventry; Jan. 7, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

13 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Daventry!! I am also waiting for my step mom to email me. She has a few friends that work with MHS. Her and my Dad I think are going to see if they can help foster if needed.

Deardra75

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    What is the time limit to use the breedings? I don't even have a broodmare but these guys are sooooo tempting!
    Richard's will be the same as his "regular breeding" contract -- LFG intial year (2012) and 2 additional years
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Here's the first of more to come, I'm sure. It's from the Marin Independent Journal. It's pretty much the same as the MHS page, but I'm not complaining. At least it's making the news now.

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_...st-marin-abuse
    Last edited by yeskatboxxx; Jan. 5, 2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: spelling

5 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Yeskatboxx...here is the text:

Marin Humane Society seizes horses in West Marin abuse investigation

By Gary Klien
    Marin Independent Journal

Posted: 01/04/2013 06:51:07 PM PST

Two horses were seized and others are being monitored in an animal cruelty investigation in West Marin, the Marin Humane Society said Friday.

Officers took the horses last week from a property in the Chileno Valley area, the animal shelter said. The organization found "serious neglect, injuries, unsafe and inhumane living conditions" for the horses, the organization said.

Authorities seized an injured stallion and a malnourished mare for care off the property, and they are monitoring the health of two dozen other foals, pregnant mares and stallions, including Hanoverians and thoroughbreds, the shelter said.

The Marin Humane Society did not release additional details about the site or the proprietors while the investigation continues. No suspects have been arrested.

10 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Sid!!! and thank you Yeskatboxx for posting the link to the Marin IJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post

The auction deadlines are intentionally staggered. No two auction items close at the same time. They are staggered to close 15 mintues apart and to close before midnight EST. That way you don't have to sit up until the wee hours of the morning to bid. Secondly, you cannot attempt to hover your finger over the bid button until the last possible second. ALL of the auctions, when you bid at the end, the time will be extended by 5 more minutes .
    !
    Can you please clarify that?
    If the time is being extended by 5 minutes at the end does that mean 5 minutes from the scheduled time to close based on a bid within x minutes of the closing time or does it mean it gets extended 5 minutes till bids stop or something else altogether?
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Numerous news stories are now published on the web, etc. Here is a good article with donation link to Leg-Up, also names GFF and Redwine.

http://larkspurcortemadera.patch.com...o-valley-ranch

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PINE TREE FARM SC View Post
    Can you please clarify that?
    If the time is being extended by 5 minutes at the end does that mean 5 minutes from the scheduled time to close based on a bid within x minutes of the closing time or does it mean it gets extended 5 minutes till bids stop or something else altogether?
    It ONLY extends the time when it's within a few minutes of closing. It prevents people from putting in a final bid with the idea that no one can outbid them at the last moment (sniping). So, waiting until the last moment to bid with that idea in mind, won't work on this auction . Make sense? Clear as mud?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    It ONLY extends the time when it's within a few minutes of closing. It prevents people from putting in a final bid with the idea that no one can outbid them at the last moment (sniping). So, waiting until the last moment to bid with that idea in mind, won't work on this auction . Make sense? Clear as mud?
    That is a fantastic idea! I hate the bidders who bid on the very last second on ebay!
    "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
    Official Marestare Addict!

Farm is off Hannan Ranch Lane Petaluma, CA. That road isn't very long. Looked at Google maps. I wonder if those dry lots with lots of horses on them, and single horses in little pens (?stallions) are Jill's.