The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 125 of 224 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post

This is not the time IMHO to promote breeding or other stallions/programs. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth actually.
    Why?? Most are not big breeders, but people with a mare they wanted to breed to a stallion they thought would be a good match to their mares. They had no ideal of the mess they were stepping in to.

I thank the stallion owners with such high quality stock for stepping up.

13 members found this post helpful.

The kindness and generosity of COTHers never ceases to amaze me! I knew of Kathy's offer but to see so many others willing to share their lovely stallions blows me away! I think the 2014 foal crop is going to have some shining stars in it. I can't wait for their arrival.

11 members found this post helpful.

Yup just my opinion. I call it as I see it. But, I have a right to my opinion just like you do.

Yes, it could be alot of people affected by this - out breedings & money. It is sad and would be wonderful if JB made it right to them somehow. But it is up to the courts and JB now.

I will always be wary of WHY people want to help now, learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    (banging head on desk)

Sorry, but offering free stud fees, and in some cases, waiving collection fees does not make any of the Stallion Owners any money. If anything, it puts many of them in the hole. Many people may not realize it, but there are many Mare Owners currently holding Gray Fox Farm Stallion Contracts for the last 6 months or more that have been sweating it out and wondering what to do. For some of them, they are out thousands of dollars in paid Stud Fees. For some, that may mean they cannot afford to pay yet another stud fee in 2013 to another stallion. On top of that, I'm betting MANY Mare Owners are now gun shy. Jill Burnell just sent out her 2012 Gray Fox Farm digital Christmas letter to thousands of breeders offering the stallion Romantic Star for $600 for a limited time. I'm betting quite a few went ahead and clicked on the Buy Now button.

The following post put on Facebook by Kathy St. Martin says it all:

"We are NOT interested in making anything off of this offer. Our goal is simply to try and make things right for those that have been put in an untenable position by this whole situation. So, if our offer makes it a little bit easier and a little less unpleasant, good. That's our goal."

For many of us that have no other way to help out, cannot afford to donate cash, cannot provide legal help, transport, vet work or what have you, this is just one more way many of us can give back to the Equine Community and show that we are willing to work together. If you want to be a Debbie Downer about it, that's your choice.
    I'm not stupid. I read the fees waived. But it will still PROMOTE breeding and another programs stallion. That is what I am against.

Ive just PM'd Daventry and advised that I will also offer Guaranteed Gold with no stud fee and just the collection / transportation charges to apply for anyone that feels he might be a suitable cross for their mare(s)

Ummm. Because we feel badly about the whole thing and want to help however we can? You know - like "Pay It Forward" and hopefully those we helped will be in a position to help the next person just because they can and its the right thing to do?

No more and no less. None of us will get rich and be able to retire and send the kids through college because of this gesture ...

15 members found this post helpful.

I'm not stupid. I read the fees waived. But it will still PROMOTE breeding and another programs stallion. That is what I am against.
    Would you rather they have nothing to show for their money like they do now? I think it is incredibly generous myself and if I had a paid breeding contract with that bi#*^ I would be very relieved to know I now had options.

10 members found this post helpful.

Yup just my opinion. I call it as I see it. But, I have a right to my opinion just like you do.

Yes, it could be alot of people affected by this - out breedings & money. It is sad and would be wonderful if JB made it right to them somehow. But it is up to the courts and JB now.

Wow....just wow. So, let me get this straight - JB screws a bunch of people. Only way those people have a prayer of getting their money back or their breedings is if they rely on JB"s generosity and "honesty" and doing the right thing, or they pursue it through the courts. But, those who wish to try and make it right or at least a bit less tragic, are now the bad guys?...<shaking head>

We gain NOTHING by this. Absolutely NOTHING. I had made it known privately to a few people that had been injured by this whole mess and have been doing it for several months, so it wasn't as if we would have really even gotten any recognition for that. We were asked if it was okay to make it publicly known and realizing that there are quite a few people who were in a bad place and had no place to turn, I didn't see the harm. But apparently you see it as a bad thing and self-serving. I am truly gobsmacked! Every silver lining has a cloud, I guess
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud To Be Spotted View Post
    Why?? Most are not big breeders, but people with a mare they wanted to breed to a stallion they thought would be a good match to their mares. They had no ideal of the mess they were stepping in to.

I thank the stallion owners with such high quality stock for stepping up.
    So all the thought and planning that went into the breedings mean nothing because there are a few options now to at least get something?

There are many many reasons why this is bugging me, or I wouldn't have said anything.

But I will bow out now. Its up to the people involved to make their own decisions.

Default Thank You

As a very small breeder (re: 1-2 mares in a good year) I just want to express my thanks to all the stallion owners/breeders who have offered up breeding options to their lovely stallions. I paid for 2 discounted breedings to Grey Fox stallions and had been unable to use them due to the loss of both my mares, I was looking forward to trying again this year, with a lovely retired show mare when all this began - I was loathe to go forward - now it seems, I may have some options. Thank you for providing a small breeder with an option - at a time when the world seems dark for so many reasons (and not just the JB situation) this is a reminder that there are good people who step up to do the right thing in the world.

Thank you very very much

30 members found this post helpful.

Well truthfully, if you hold a contract for a 2013 breeding to any of Jill Burnell's stallions there wasn't a whole lot of thought and planning put into it because the shit has been hitting the fan for quite some time now and would have been relatively easy to find out. Please do bow out however, this thread has taken a positive turn and I for one want to see that continue.

13 members found this post helpful.

This is why I miss the red thumbs. Consider this post red thumbed. I disagree with the whole spirit of this line of thinking. It is very generous and kind of the stallion owners to offer the opportunity of a foal to mare owners affected by Ms. Burnell. Hopefully, one of the stallions offered might be a suitable cross for some of these mares. How anyone can see it otherwise is beyond me.

26 members found this post helpful.

I also have no dog in this fight, but I think it's truly wonderful that other SO's are stepping up and trying to make a bad situation better. Kudos to you all. You are class acts.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

10 members found this post helpful.

cnigh, your posts are proof that no good deed goes unpunished on the COTH breeder's board. Somebody always has to analyze the reasons behind people's actions that are offered in a sense of kindness and come up with ulterior motives that are questionable, though a person with more innate generosity and integrity would never see things in that light. What a shame that is.

8 members found this post helpful.

There are some days that people step up and restore my faith in the human race. Today is one of those days.
    Thank-you to all the generous stallion owners who have offered a breeding to their stallion(s)...you have truly shown what classy operations you run
    Last edited by NorthHillFarm; Jan. 1, 2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling

7 members found this post helpful.

I just had a long talk with Allie from Worth A Shot Farm. She came up with a great idea and I will now offically put it into action.

Along with free breedings to Balt'Amour to mare owners stiffed by Jill, I will offer half price breedings to Balt'Amour for ANYONE who is willing to donate the other half of the stud fee to the Marin County Humane Society to help care for Jill's horses. Contact me first, provide proof of donation and you will get your half price breeding.

Happy New Year to everyone. Wishing you all a prosperous and healthy year. May you all pay it forward any way you can.

Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

33 members found this post helpful.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    cnigh, your posts are proof that no good deed goes unpunished on the COTH breeder's board. Somebody always has to analyze the reasons behind people's actions that are offered in a sense of kindness and come up with ulterior motives that are questionable, though a person with more innate generosity and integrity would never see things in that light. What a shame that is.
    ML - one of my favorite quotes "no good deed goes unpunished"lol. Re COTH (and do note the number of posts per this particular poster) anyone can with a flick of the flying fingers join and start posting - and with multiple user names !

Bravo decent stallion owners!! - on so many levels - BRAVO
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Hey cnigh BIG RED THUMB
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

17 members found this post helpful.

Kudos Daventry and the generous Stallion Owners. And a toast to many lovely foals born in 2014 as a result.

To those in the know - please continue the update on the condition of the horses mired in the mess - and the ability of former mare owners and others to get the horses to safety. Fingers crossed Marin HS can act swiftly to bring this about. Donation sent.

2 members found this post helpful.

From someone who had a breeding to Federalist and received 0 motility and mobility semen twice (learned afterwards he was not up to breeding standards) and who was told that additional funds were needed to change stallions and could not receive a breeding, I applaud all the stallion owners! I cut my losses, but you guys rock and restore all of our faith!

6 members found this post helpful.

See I also have mixed feelings about this.

I think it is WONDERFUL that stallion owners are stepping up and helping out people who have been shafted by Jill Burnell. I can only imagine how I would feel if I had been in their shoes.

The part that I cringe at is that once again, other people are stepping up to cover Jill's bad debts. People paid her stallions' activations with registries in the past when she shafted her clients. Now people are stepping up and providing the service that SHE collected the money for. I am not saying stallion owners or mare owners are wrong. I applaud the move, but on some level it sits wrong that other people have to step up and fix the mess.

I'll feel the same way if even one seized horse is returned to her. All of these funds are being spent on medical treatment and horses that were her responsibility. Unfortunately I suspect there will be long drawn out battles with her trying to get the horses back.....

At then end of the day, the welfare of the horses is the most important thing. Making things right for clients who have been wronged by her is noble on one level, but I truly hope this is the end for Jill Burnell and Gray Fox Farm, because if she comes back, it will just feel like enabling.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

7 members found this post helpful.