The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 120 of 224 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 4466

Then I hope they will work out some way to allow adoptions outside of the local area. I'm certain that most people would be willing to pay the costs involved in doing a background investigation.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    Thank god there's an end in sight. The image of a pile of dead foals will never leave me.
    No, I don't want to see it, but are you serious????? And nothing was done then???

I'm so happy something is being done.

How many horses are we talking about here?

None of us really know. Estimates range from 40-70 - with it being said that some are being stashed somewhere besides this particular property.

I just hope the rightful owners of any of the leased/borrowed mares are able to reclaim their horses. Its a very sad situation for the animals.

Is the Marin Humane society accepting donations to help with these horses specifically?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    I just hope the rightful owners of any of the leased/borrowed mares are able to reclaim their horses. Its a very sad situation for the animals.

Is the Marin Humane society accepting donations to help with these horses specifically?
    YES! Currently, you can donate directly to the Marin Humane Society here: https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...MJQNoGdJKLUOEE

I have been told a special donation page for the Burnell horses is currently being set up. As soon as it's live on the internet, I'll let everyone know.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

4 members found this post helpful.

What kind of time frame are they looking at to get horses placed?

I know the legal system can take a while...but what are the possibilities on both ends? As early as (____) or as late as (___).

These pics (posted links on page 118 of this thread) are of Grand Affairs 2010 foal "Rain Boots" I own her 2011 foal "Rioja". These pics are shocking and Rioja looked possibly worse when he arrived to me. But wanted to clarify.
    Last edited by Pace2thebase; Dec. 29, 2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: More info

I just hope that the Marin Human Society listens to the claims of those whose mares Jill claims as "hers" though they may or may not be, and allows them to return to their proper homes. It is a very positive sign that something is being done, though. Good on them!

Do we know which stallion was seized?

I am VERY happy to see something finally being done.

I had a thought last night...Has anyone tried reaching out to Mr Burnell and let him know exactly what his wife is up to? I have it on good authority that he is not aware of exactly what she has been doing. Don't want to elaborate more publicly as to why I'm asking this, but will via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTwistedWire View Post

Do we know which stallion was seized?
    Yes, but at this point, does it really make a difference which one it is? I've been told the poor boy is laid up in an animal hospital and they are estimating his recovery vet bills will be quite a bit. Hoping he toughs it out and gets healthy again! All the more reason to donate to the Marin Humane Society https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...hPWLjKZKfM0KzE

I'm sure it will come out over the next few days or weeks...as I'm not the only one that knows.
    Last edited by Daventry; Dec. 29, 2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added donation link
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Yes, but at this point, does it really make a difference which one it is? I've been told the poor boy is laid up in an animal hospital and they are estimating his recovery vet bills will be quite a bit. Hoping he toughs it out and gets healthy again! All the more reason to donate to the Marin Humane Society https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...hPWLjKZKfM0KzE

I'm sure it will come out over the next few days or weeks...as I'm not the only one that knows.
    Only in that some may have experiences with some of the stallions, and be wondering who. Thank you to those who PM'ed me. I hope that many COTHers are able to donate to help care for these horses, who all deserve better.

Well, if you want to believe the Facebook rumors (posted in a public group) it is Romantic Star and he allegedly had a body condition score of 1. Seems like legit news, b/c there is also contact info. for Marin County Humane Society, asking anyone who was owed a breeding to Romantic Star in 2013 to please contact them.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I'll be looking for that website to make donations for the horses in this case...hope others will as well. Even those who may have been harmed in their dealings with her -- or have never had dealings with her. I'm sure every dollar will help.

A lot of $10 or $20 donations by the hundreds of viewers here on COTH can come to a good amount of money needed for these horses' care.

As this is finally taking shape, I want to thank the brave SIL who had the fortitude to make that very first post.

Kudos to her for doing this.

Body score of 1? Poor horse. Years ago, a BNT h/j breeder handler did this to a mare on lease bred to my stallion Argosy. The whole situation was posted on COTH and the response was overwhelming.

The mare was hours away from death when we were able to get everything in order with the police (ASPCA and Humane groups in NJ were worthless) and confiscate them. There were others, but not on the scale that JB has been doing. It was "sting" operation and the BNT's husband actually turned tail against her and helped us get them out.

Body score also of 1. By posting on COTH and a zillion PM's in support we made if very well known. She has disappeared from the biz.

Took 3 months of rehab before "TC" could be moved home with her 5 mo. old baby. It was dreadful. The most shocking thing I've ever been through...but JB seems to be doing this en masse numbers of horses.

BTW, the emaciated foal I got back is now 7 years old and is wonderful. His dam h/j bred dam-- a fabulously well bred mare by Joan Fox Miller -- lived out a great life.

COTH ran that BNT (also recognized by the USEF, etal) out of the horse biz. Good deal. Hope that happens here.

Good job for all who have kept this thread alive and active.
    Last edited by sid; Dec. 29, 2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typos

7 members found this post helpful.

I remember that, Sid. Unfortunately Jill is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to travesties. Hoping this comes to fruition.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    Well, if you want to believe the Facebook rumors (posted in a public group) it is Romantic Star and he allegedly had a body condition score of 1.
    Wasn't he previously owned by a breeder / dressage trainer in Virginia?

Thank you Daventry. I find myself worrying about the horses - as if there isn't enough to worry about in any given person's life. It seems so strange this kind of bad business dealings and abusive care of animals could take place in the US -- and yet, it has gone on for years.

Donations to Marin County Humane Society can be directed to the Burnell Seizure - under donor information there is a note field for that information.

https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...fOXJsK3JePYIyH
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Dec. 29, 2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: correction

I am so thankful and end is in sight to this nightmare. Thank you to everyone in the trenches who made this possible. I will be sending a donation when a dedicated link is posted.