The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 115 of 224 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 4466

I did buy these two foals from JB, long before I was aware of any of her practices. I invested a years worth of showing in these two for my own pleasure. It does make me sick to think of the recognition she will receive.
    As I stated before on here, I no longer have any ties to JB. As Laurierace pointed out, I was also a victim. I have not heard back from her since sometime in Aug. even with repeated phone calls/emails/fb messages about our problem.
    I am thankful however for the two lovely horses that have come from this, and do not regret purchasing either one.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    What COTH magazine can do is write an opinion piece done by one of their writers, or someone not on their staff. If such a commentary has already been published by COTH then I missed it. But if it hasn't, their silence speaks volumes. They publish many other opinion pieces about equestrian sports, so the GFF story and its affect on sporthorse and hunter breeding would fit right in.
    The COTH won't, nor should they, write anything until there are legal cases adjudicated. As it stands, no matter how true the stories here are, it is all just hearsay. COTH isn't a judge or jury, and cannot be expected to try Jill in the pages of the magazine.

I think you should all give up on equinedriver and start over with a LAWYER to advise you. Not some stranger on a BB.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

5 members found this post helpful.

The article in COTH being referred to was one talking about the disconnect between HB and the performance divisions. I was a part of the article, as was Jill and maybe one other person. It was a couple of years ago, before she imploded. Despite all her problems, she is very smart and astute about how to breed her stallions. Unfortunately, she turns her intelligence to screwing people. But at the time of the article, most of this ad not happened.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.

Well - this is now on page 115. And still it seems as nothing happens.
    I really hope that behind the scenes the people that went in the open here that they still get money get together and hire a lawyer to do something !
    In regards of the answer regarding that foal that one person got from Jill. I would put all my stuff together and go to the fraud department immediately !

I myself goit screwed this year by someone in Germany acting as an agent (No not Kareen - by far she had also some disadvantages due to that person !!!!). I went to the police, the person screwed other. She applied for a thing called private bankruptcy which leaves you after 7 years of good behaviour without any debts.
    I seem to be the only one going the police road. A lot of other people she owes money to do not run after it or the parents pay because of their good reputation they want to stick to. But there will be sooner or later some situation that will break her neck and until than I do not stop explaining to people beware with that person ! And I am awaiting the policeactivities - hoping for a sentance because of fraud !
    Anyone who needs to get money from people like this take as many actions as you can - This may not help you in the first place, but will prevent others and will stop the good life of these "bad" people !
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think there is such thing as a fraud department in this country. Most of her crimes are civil in nature with the exception of the bad checks which the authorities don't seem very willing to pursue aside from issuing warrants. A class action suit is the way to go in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    The COTH won't, nor should they, write anything until there are legal cases adjudicated. As it stands, no matter how true the stories here are, it is all just hearsay. COTH isn't a judge or jury, and cannot be expected to try Jill in the pages of the magazine.
    It seems we have a misunderstanding.

Obviously whoever writes an opinion piece would research the facts and not report hearsay. There are several legitimate sources available.

No one is asking COTH to be a judge or jury. It is a magazine that reports show results and news on equestrian sports. Often included is a commentary on the state of our sport written by trainers, judges, and other professionals. Those controversial opinion pieces are often discussed on this forum.

As said before, GFF has seriously affected the hunter division. Positives include some nice offspring, who are successful in the show ring. Negatives are financial (including an arrest warrant), and others are related to horse health and breeding protocols.

Why the big secret ? Why is this only place where people are finding out about GFF ? Why not in our national equestrian magazines ? Why are we not asking questions on a national level, such as why has this continued to go on for so long ? Should USEF be involved in any way ? What recourse do people really have when they have trouble with someone like GFF ?

This is an important story in our sport. When I mention it to people, they're surprised, and ask "Where did you read that ? I didn't see it."

Exactly. That's the point.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

6 members found this post helpful.

It is surprising to me as well that USEF can't do something?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I don't think there is such thing as a fraud department in this country. Most of her crimes are civil in nature with the exception of the bad checks which the authorities don't seem very willing to pursue aside from issuing warrants. A class action suit is the way to go in my opinion.
    Really the police does not have fraud departments in the USA ?
    I knew that Canada has. And obviously in Germany you can report a person for fraud to the police and they have departments for that kind of investigations. Is fraud not an action one can be prosecuted as e.g. for theft or murder ?
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

I think when a step is taken back she has swindled , stolen , mistreated and emotionally and monetarily abused some of the best in the HB industry.

I think at this point simply choosing to not do business with her is NOT the solution. If she can take from the best then what chance do the small breeders or Independents have against her.

I sincerely hope that those of you with power and reputation behind your names put serious thought into jointing forces with others that have been taken by her and find a way to shut her down.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

4 members found this post helpful.

No matter how hard you may wish it, until there is an actual case adjudicated against her, no magazine or organization is going to do an article, write an opinion piece, or anything else, based on HEARSAY. The minute someone gets a positive outcome from a lawsuit or judgement, then there is something concrete to use. That proves that, despite her stories, and there are many, a court found the evidence against her to be satisfactory to indict her. Until then, it is just a bunch of (probably legit) people with a wide array of grievances against her. If you think you can get an article accepted by the CoTH, write away! But USEF isn't going to take anyone's word. They didn't even do anything to E. Mandarino. Because the proof didn't exist...
    Laurie

Each state has an Attorney General's office that handles Fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    Really the police does not have fraud departments in the USA ?
    I knew that Canada has. And obviously in Germany you can report a person for fraud to the police and they have departments for that kind of investigations. Is fraud not an action one can be prosecuted as e.g. for theft or murder ?

what i find astounding is that the folks that got screwed aren't doing anything about it - or a least it doesn't appear like they are.

some folks sent info to a unknown entity here who disappeared but WHY don't these same folks contact those that could ACTUALLY help them?

it really makes one wonder, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    what i find astounding is that the folks that got screwed aren't doing anything about it - or a least it doesn't appear like they are.

some folks sent info to a unknown entity here who disappeared but WHY don't these same folks contact those that could ACTUALLY help them?

it really makes one wonder, doesn't it?
    Makes one wonder..... what exactly? Most are in a different state - some on the other side of the country. Law suits are extremely expensive and then you have little chance to actually recover anything. And while her actions do seem to be criminal in nature, most district attorneys are buried in violent crimes so will choose to consider them more civil disputes and thus refuse to prosecute them.

The awful fact is that criminals often go unpunished.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

2 members found this post helpful.

No, it really doesn't make me wonder since a good number are handling it privately and/or have made sure there's a legal record on her tail. Eventually the arrest warrant(s) will catch up with her.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

oh i dont know... why would folks believe in a totally anonymous person online to help them?

why aren't more folks stepping forward? (maybe they are we just aren't seeing it)

human nature is just very interesting to me... so i wonder......

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    . The minute someone gets a positive outcome from a lawsuit or judgement, then there is something concrete to use. That proves that, despite her stories, and there are many, a court found the evidence against her to be satisfactory to indict her. ...
    But people have had judgements against her, she has been fined... isn't this enough to be used as evidence? They have not been able to collect, but there were judgements. Didn't John French get a judgement against her?

Just my thought, I certainly don't know, but trainers have had FINANCIAL issues with clients forever. I think if something with more substance, like fraud or abuse, were proven, OR if there was the kind of pressure put on USEF that was brought in the Mandarino case, then that might be enough. But unpaid bills and bounced checks aren't exactly unusual in this industry, nor specific to horses.
    Selling in uteros that were never conceived, or failure to turn over a horse that had been paid for is much more substantive.
    Laurie

i think it might come down to whether it all was premeditated or just a whoopsie i bounced a check and now cant pay for it kind of thing.

what really has blown my mind as i watch from the sidelines is the latest where someone paid for a colt and then she turned around and sold it *again* to someone else! that takes balls!

Which would fall into the "failure to turn over a horse that's been paid for" category.

It's Jill's own words that she resold the horse, using the claim the original buyer never paid. Considering the original buyer has record of payment, that's a pretty bold statement...and the scam can only be believed so long.

I have a feeling this will ultimately end very badly and in an ugly manner for GFF. It's a shame because Redwine and Romantic Star are nice stallions, and there really HAVE been some fabulous foals from them.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Jill Burnell of Gray Fox Farms has already committed more than enough crimes to get herself locked up for a period of time at some point. What I worry about is the people she will rip off or otherwise harm in the meantime. Those are the people we need to reach out to via this thread and any other means we can come up with. The horse community is small but not so small that there aren't countless potential victims waiting in the wings.