The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 218 of 224 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,360 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    Did they (the MHS) communicate with RS about the treatment and condition of the horse? Did they call her and say "hey, we seized your horse at the owners, he was in bad shape. He is at UC Davis, please call the vet." Did they work with her to come up with a treatment alternative that didn't involve such expensive care? Or when they thought there was a jaw fracture and potentially high vet bills, did they offer her the chance to choose an alternative such as euthanasia? It doesn't sound like they engaged her in the process of care for her horse at all. If it was my horse, I'd sue. Just because you are a non-profit doesn't mean you can dick people around.
    And what's up with 'Leg Up' donation to Marin County. Never stated but implied that the 25K or so was going towards the care of the mares and the stallion.
    Now that we know that none of the expense for RS was being covered by Marin County it makes us look like fools for getting involved with this.

Sounds like Leg Up and Marin County worked the soft hearted to get a windfall.
    This is why many people think rescues are scams.

Any chance of finding out where the 25K went? LMAO

16 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    I think that depends upon why the horse is in the hospital. I've certainly had horses in a University setting (orthopedic though, not medical) and they definitely did NOT do daily bloodwork. It's a case-by-case basis.
    Or perhaps this varies by hospital as my experience differs from yours. It isn't necessarily an indicator of illness in my experience, just standard protocol, that is not necessarily something that is done out of medical necessity.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bottom line is that all of this is hindsight quarterbacking.

IF Jill had had a working relationship with ANY local vets, and had actually CARED to call someone in, he wouldn't have had to be sent to Davis; then again, he may have been, anyway. Noone can diagnose over the internet.

One has to ask why Rising Star posted all the reports. Perhaps it was to get some sympathy to bolster her case. Nobody knows the specifics, except the courts and the lawyers. One has to wonder if he were insured, would the insurer have refused to pay, on the valid grounds of horrible negligence?
    There are too many questions to keep hypothesizing over the internet.
    Let this play out with the authorities, as it should, and let's hope ALL the horses go on to live in safer, more caring environments.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Callmeacab View Post
    One has to ask why Rising Star posted all the reports.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here & say RSF posted the reports to counter the speculation that's been running rampant on COTH & in other forums since the horse was seized. It's OK for people to speculate on this thread until the cows come home about the horse's condition, her reasons for purchasing the stallion, etc. - and now we should be suspicious that she posted medical reports from UC Davis? Really?
    Unfortunately China is very hard to change ... Unless an enormous whip beats her on the back, it will never change. Such a whip is bound to come, I think. Lu Xun

15 members found this post helpful.

I appreciate that she posted it. It clears up a lot of speculation and shows a *process* as this mess goes forward. A *touch* of professionalism is refreshing .

That must have been one helluva fight.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here & say RSF posted the reports to counter the speculation that's been running rampant on COTH & in other forums since the horse was seized. It's OK for people to speculate on this thread until the cows come home about the horse's condition, her reasons for purchasing the stallion, etc. - and now we should be suspicious that she posted medical reports from UC Davis? Really?
    This has turned into the TMZ of horses, after all, so, why not (just kidding)?
    It is interesting to read the reports, and good to see that the stallion is in better shape than suspected. As for why he stayed at Davis so long, who's to say. My experience with Davis is that they release a horse as soon as he's ready to go home.

At what time does the auction money kick in...and towards WHAT????? I think it should have covered at least Some of Romantic Star's bill.....

hummmmm

SH

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    At what time does the auction money kick in...and towards WHAT????? I think it should have covered at least Some of Romantic Star's bill.....

hummmmm

SH
    I agree. Especially since the UC Davis hospital reports showed the "Client" as "Marin County Humane Society".

And maybe that is why Ronda is pursuing legal action against them. Since the horse legally belongs to her, she did the right thing and paid the hospital bill. But if the hospital will only release him to MCHS, but MCHS won't release him to Ronda - heck, I think I'd be going after them, too.

But I do agree she needs a different attorney, and also think she should be going after JillB to recoup what she paid for the vet care. After all, it was JillB's lousy horsekeeping that resulted in the stallion being injured. But then again, I guess it would be like trying to get blood out of a turnip, since JillB has repeatedly shown she has utter disregard for any financial obligations.

12 members found this post helpful.

I don't know about the vet bills but when the auction was set up it was stated by the organizers that the extra $$ would go towards MHS legal bills.

That opens up a whole new can of worms given the latest developments.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    And what's up with 'Leg Up' donation to Marin County. Never stated but implied that the 25K or so was going towards the care of the mares and the stallion.
    Now that we know that none of the expense for RS was being covered by Marin County it makes us look like fools for getting involved with this.

Sounds like Leg Up and Marin County worked the soft hearted to get a windfall.
    This is why many people think rescues are scams.

Any chance of finding out where the 25K went? LMAO
    Instead of speculating and making an a$$ out of yourself why not just ask the organizers of said auction/fund raiser.

Everyone hear sings the praises of the people who organized the Leg up auction all the time . One stallion owner who is suing MHS for reasons we only again can speculate on allows access to a few medical records and suddenly the auction is shady ?? Get a life folks.

Those were the medical bills for one horse ..last time I checked there were 3 other horses seized one of which we were allowed to see a few photos of. Based on the deplorable condition ..who knows what sort of care she and the others have needed.

BTW if JB wasn't a crook and clearly negligent in the care of her horses , there would have never been need to seize anything. MHS would have never been called to investigate. RS would be hopefully on his way to a much better life and Jill would be going about her day to day not paying bills , scaming people and being the topic of a half a dozen JB did/did not do XZY threads.

You all want to kick , scream , pound sand and blame people ...blame Jill.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    I don't know about the vet bills but when the auction was set up it was stated by the organizers that the extra $$ would go towards MHS legal bills.

That opens up a whole new can of worms given the latest developments.
    That does make things interesting. So now an organization run by a competing stallion owner could be paying the legal fees in a dispute against another prominent stallion owner (and respected COTHer.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneonOne View Post
    That does make things interesting. So now an organization run by a competing stallion owner could be paying the legal fees in a dispute against another prominent stallion owner (and respected COTHer.
    Excellent synopsis, OneonOne! So, we have a massive fundraiser that was promoted with absolutely false and baseless information. Then, halfway through the auction, people are informed that now, the organization isn't giving the money to MCHS anymore, they're keeping it for 'future projects'. But what they are giving will go to keep Romantic Star where he is and prevent a competing owner from procuring a really nice stallion.

What a mighty mess.

6 members found this post helpful.

I just have to say that I 100% support the work that Leg-up did for these horses and the agency that got them out of a really neglected state.

Let's remember, the seizure has already been upheld in the legal system.

And really, no one gets a weird feeling over this transaction? I mean Jill has been known to advertise and market horses she has never owned, but now we are all supposed to believe that she is going to sell one of her most valuable stallions without a single ad or marketing... just poof. He sells in the midst of this huge mess at her farm? With her lawyer representing the new stallion owner AND Jill?

Sorry, it all stinks to me.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by currycomb321 View Post
    Excellent synopsis, OneonOne! So, we have a massive fundraiser that was promoted with absolutely false and baseless information. Then, halfway through the auction, people are informed that now, the organization isn't giving the money to MCHS anymore, they're keeping it for 'future projects'. But what they are giving will go to keep Romantic Star where he is and prevent a competing owner from procuring a really nice stallion.

What a mighty mess.

Leg Up was proctive if you would go back to page one and look at the pictures, as well as the dialogue as those who fell prey to Jill Burnells' foal mill -- many of whom sent their beloved broodmares to her for breeding to these well marketed stallions.

Did you look at RateMyPro.com where you can see mares seized? The photo was disgusting and she should become a poster child.

Re Leg Up and others who have tried to be prepared to help?

I guess it comes down to the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished". So sad.

There is no underlying motive, and it is sad that some people think there is ...or now implying that now.

What a negative and cynical way of viewing the "call to arms" that many responded to in the early days of this thread and investigation.

11 members found this post helpful.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Instead of speculating and making an a$$ out of yourself why not just ask the organizers of said auction/fund raiser.

Everyone hear sings the praises of the people who organized the Leg up auction all the time . One stallion owner who is suing MHS for reasons we only again can speculate on allows access to a few medical records and suddenly the auction is shady ?? Get a life folks.

Those were the medical bills for one horse ..last time I checked there were 3 other horses seized one of which we were allowed to see a few photos of. Based on the deplorable condition ..who knows what sort of care she and the others have needed.

BTW if JB wasn't a crook and clearly negligent in the care of her horses , there would have never been need to seize anything. MHS would have never been called to investigate. RS would be hopefully on his way to a much better life and Jill would be going about her day to day not paying bills , scaming people and being the topic of a half a dozen JB did/did not do XZY threads.

You all want to kick , scream , pound sand and blame people ...blame Jill.
    THANK YOU THANK YOU - omgoodness folks - so many conspiracy theories - so much speculation - there is ONE repugnant person who is the focus of all of this - Jill Burnell .
    Whatever deals done prior to seizures ? If a horse in the care of someone is in very poor shape, I don't think humane societies CARE who owns the horse at the time of seizure - they care that the horse(s) get out of there and cared for! And far as I can recall, per COTH itself, the seizures have been supported as legal despite challenge by said JB - meaning they must have been in "poor shape". Or are the judges also in the conspiracy ?
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

4 members found this post helpful.

It makes me sick to see people doubting the motive behind the auction. Nobody forced anyone to participate. I gave to MHS directly and I am happy I did. If they don't need the money for these horses (God knows where they are and in what condition), then it will go to another needy animal.

Any other money Leg Up has collected will go to other animals in need. Gosh, there are enough around ie the 100+ horses that were seized in Dakota with 99 found dead. I wish someone would take up the torch for these poor horses...

To NOW criticize LU is disgusting... and yes, it looks like turn coats who think that maybe JB and her minions are not that bad after all, but MHS and the ones who acted to help... are?

Please.....

9 members found this post helpful.

It is also important to note that Leg Up is not a rescue.

They also use their funds to help riders who may be injured, catastrophically, to help with medical and rehab expenses, when the insurance coverage rund out, that can make them eventually homeless.

Let's get to the "macro" of Leg Up, not that micro for this single case.

This is a class act organization and there are no others like it.

If I got bonked on the head in an unexpected accident and my insurance ran out, I'm happy to know that Leg Up may be able to help me, should my insurance run out for some reason.

We should all be grateful that someone started such a great, philonthopic mission for those of us that live in a high risk sport or industry.
    Last edited by sid; Feb. 8, 2013 at 06:49 AM.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    It is also important to note that Leg Up is not a rescue.

They also use their funds to also help riders who may be injured, catastrophically, to help with medical and rehab expenses that can make them eventually homeless.

[...]

This is a class act organization and there are not others like it.
    Nitpick: The Horsemen's Distress Fund predates Leg Up, I'm pretty sure.
    http://www.horsemensdistressfund.com/ -- although HDF limits its support to Arabian Horse Association members, and Leg Up is more general in scope. It's still a good thing, and I've supported both organizations.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just because RS posted the vet statement does not mean she is the one who paid the bill. The billing clearly shows that MHS is the one who contracted with Davis for the care. They are the ones who have been paying the bills. Too much going on behind the scenes and too much speculation.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Leg Up was proctive if you would go back to page one and look at the pictures, as well as the dialogue as those who fell prey to Jill Burnells' foal mill -- many of whom sent their beloved broodmares to her for breeding to these well marketed stallions.

Did you look at RateMyPro.com where you can see mares seized? The photo was disgusting and she should become a poster child.

Re Leg Up and others who have tried to be prepared to help?

I guess it comes down to the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished". So sad.

There is no underlying motive, and it is sad that some people think there is ...or now implying that now.

What a negative and cynical way of viewing the "call to arms" that many responded to in the early days of this thread and investigation.

Your noble "Call to Arms" defamed a very nice, professional, and reputable horsewoman and dragged her name and reputation through the mud here with ZERO fact behind it all. Yeah, that bothered some of us. There was serious misinformation that was used to encourage people to donate money. There were also behind the scenes conversations to which nobody here was privy that leave some of the people here who can do no wrong not really smelling like roses. True colors have been shown and the whole thing is a farce.

Everybody says they want the best for the horses but not everybody is acting for selfless reasons, sadly. Whatevs....continue the fun!!