The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 210 of 224 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211212220 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 4466

DMK you forgot mine: --- > Why, of all the vets in the surrounding area, the lawyer had to go 120+ miles to find this particular vet, whose daughter had a bad experience with Jill.

3 members found this post helpful.

DMK, I love you...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

1 members found this post helpful.

DMK-I think I love you too.

I think there's enough bad already aired on JB, without dragging people into this who aren't to blame.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

From page 197 - Rio Vista was NEVER at GFF. This is my friends mare. Rio Vista isn't even her name. So don't fall for buying her imaginary in-utero foal by Red Wine. She canceled sale when she found out what JB was really like last year.
    Cloverfox Stables

6 members found this post helpful.

oh come on PP! you know that there are only good honest people on the internet, and that what people write is the truth.....

get with the program!

DMK, why must you mock the beliefs of others?
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Am I missing anyone?

Seriously, JB is most likely
    actually you are missing someone whose "name" has been drug thru the mud repeatedly on this thread - COTH poster "JB" who has nothing to do with Jill Burnell.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKb View Post
    Concerning RSF-Ronda I am appalled at some of the posters slamming her. She purchased a lovely stallion to stand that fits her breeding program and how is she to know the condition of the stallion when he is in California and she is not.
    Preface: I do not know Ronda, have never heard of Ronda until this thread, and have never seen her website or Facebook page. I will take it that she has an excellent breeding program as many have said.

That said, you ask how is she to know the condition of the stallion when he is in California and she is not. The answer is that she goes and looks before buying him. It's a big investment so it wouldn't be unusual for her to travel to have a look. Or if that's not possible, the pre-purchase exam done by her vet of choice would have revealed his health. Good or bad.

Providing there was a PPE...and those who have top breeding programs would have certainly had one done; assessing his reproductive health would be a priority.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Not all vets are good vets, I can assure you that is a truth. I've witnessed it one too many times.

Do we know for sure if RS has actually purchaced RS or is that still speculation at this point?

Mardi, you are preaching to the choir, this was my point 2 weeks ago. And if in fact the stallion was actually purchased, why wouldnt the new owner go out at this point with paperwork in hand and find out his condition?

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, this is totally off topic in regards to JB/GFF. However, I just can't not respond to this post! Yes, it is true that the vast majority of vet students can't handle a horse, cow or pig. But they will also never need to in their careers...they will be small animal vets (75% of graduates), researchers, work for drug companies, etc. Yes, that will make them seem "incompetent" to you working in the barns as they will not know how to put on a halter, run a cow into a squeeze chute, lip snare a pig, etc. These students did not have the luxury to grow up on farms...that does not make them incompetent vets lacking common sense..just makes them not knowledgable with handling large animals. Do you know how to restrain a parrot? Restrain a snake? Get blood from a turtle? Bet not. I would not call you someone without common sense....just no knowledge of how to handle an exotic animal.

Every classmate of mine that became an equine vet had grown up with horses....some English, some Western. Every classmate that became a livestock vet grew up with cows and pigs. Every classmate that grew up with birds and snakes went into exotic medicine. It is just what you are familiar with.

For the poster regarding a shortage of large animal vets....that is true. As more women enter this field we want decent working hours, decent working conditions, decent wage. It is dramatically changing the world of veterinary medicine. These women want to work AND raise their families. Back in the days of only male vets working 60+hr work weeks was the norm but they didn't also try to raise their families..they were just the bread winners. That is changing...as it must.

In regards to the poster that feels that new vets can't palpate and only rely on U/S...that is trueto an extent. Palpation, physical exam and diagnostic skills improve with experience. So yes, someone out 10 years is much more skilled than the recent grad. However, we are graduating and taking CE in the world of modern medicine and that includes imaging tool. Personally, I would much rather an U/S that counts follicles, measures follicles, recognizes CLs, uterine edema, uterine fluid, etc. when using frozen semen with no LFG that cost $1K. These tools have advanced our skills and success as veterinarians....and yes they do have a higher fee.

Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter87 View Post
    As an Animal Science graduate who did not persue a vet career; I can honestly say it's a SCARY sight to see "what" actually makes it into vet school. The majority of students who persue vet school (and I say the majority) are extremely book smart but have zero common sense when it comes to working with large animals ex: horses, cattle, sheep, etc. The majority of them have a dog or cat at home but have never touched a large animal.They can barely put a halter on a horse, they are extremely smart. They go to college and study the "science" of animals in a classroom and rarely actually learns the necessary animal skills to work with them.

I went to school and graduated with an associates and a bachelors in A.S. because I had worked with large animals since I was very young and I wanted to make a career out of it. I have a lot of common sense large animal knowledge that I gathered frommy years and years of working with these animals. I was never good in a classroom or studying and I hated working in lab conditions. I was the type of student who'd much rather be in the barn getting my hands dirty. With that being said; I had no interest in vet school because I never had a 4.0 GPA and I was never going to make it in if I applied. When we were working in the barns, hands-on, with any animals I always found myself assisting the non-experienced pre-vet students with any and all of the activities they had to do. They were simply-put: clueless. I wasn't the only one to notice;it was an ongoing joke with my fellow classmates about the pre-vet students. Extremely book smart but no skills when it actually came to working with the animals they would one day be working on.

The above story doesn't cover all vet students; there are a handful out there who have the entire package: brains and real-life working with animal skills.

The fact remains and it's the honest truth: the majority of vet students or recent graduates are in-fact pretty "dumb"; you'd probably be scared for your horse's life if you witnessed their "skills"

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    Mardi, you are preaching to the choir, this was my point 2 weeks ago.
    Sorry for time delay.... have been away from this thread and am getting caught up.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    actually you are missing someone whose "name" has been drug thru the mud repeatedly on this thread - COTH poster "JB" who has nothing to do with Jill Burnell.
    I think it goes without saying that she is guilty of something. I mean seriously! Who would pick that as a user name unless they were guilty?

Because that makes as much sense as the idiocy I've read on this thread.

I love the idea that an older stallion to be seen and have a PPE to be competently purchased. I'm not sure what people think is being purchased here, but it's fertility, not jumping 1.5m. That can be handled by a performance guarantee in the contact as easily as anything, and probably more standard in deals around older established stallions than anything else. If the horse shows up thin and needing his feet done, that is unfortunate, but he's still a breeding stallion. Just one in need of TLC.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

12 members found this post helpful.

Aaaannnnddd....the wheels on the conspiracy train go round and round...round and round....round and round!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post

That said, you ask how is she to know the condition of the stallion when he is in California and she is not. The answer is that she goes and looks before buying him. It's a big investment so it wouldn't be unusual for her to travel to have a look. Or if that's not possible, the pre-purchase exam done by her vet of choice would have revealed his health. Good or bad.

Providing there was a PPE...and those who have top breeding programs would have certainly had one done; assessing his reproductive health would be a priority.
    I'm baffled by all the people that seem to think a buyer would have had to make the trek out to see him in person. Thousands and thousands of horses are bought sight unseen every single year - I can't see what's irresponsible about that. As for vetting him - really? He's a known quantity, a late teens stallion with multiple approvals, numerous foals on the ground and a past performance record, I'm really not sure what the purpose of a vet check would be at this point. As for the person that thinks RS would be valued in the six figures region, I'm honestly baffled that anyone would think his value is even close to that. I love RS, I have even bred a mare to him, but he's not a six figure horse, not even close.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo1998 View Post
    I'm baffled by all the people that seem to think a buyer would have had to make the trek out to see him in person. Thousands and thousands of horses are bought sight unseen every single year - I can't see what's irresponsible about that. As for vetting him - really? He's a known quantity, a late teens stallion with multiple approvals, numerous foals on the ground and a past performance record, I'm really not sure what the purpose of a vet check would be at this point. As for the person that thinks RS would be valued in the six figures region, I'm honestly baffled that anyone would think his value is even close to that. I love RS, I have even bred a mare to him, but he's not a six figure horse, not even close.
    But knowing Jills reputation and panache for horse care why would you NOT do the leg work to insure your investment was viable..seems like good old fashion common sense to me. Perhaps Rhonda did in fact do that and is also now a victim who knows.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    But knowing Jills reputation and panache for horse care why would you NOT do the leg work to insure your investment was viable..seems like good old fashion common sense to me. Perhaps Rhonda did in fact do that and is also now a victim who knows.
    This.

so wait. folks are screaming from the rooftops that JB should never ever own a horse and yet in the next breath say that only an idiot would buy a horse from her? where do you hope the horses go?

8 members found this post helpful.

This thread is making me long for the civility and restraint shown by the participants in the Oldenburg Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    so wait. folks are screaming from the rooftops that JB should never ever own a horse and yet in the next breath say that only an idiot would buy a horse from her? where do you hope the horses go?
    A conspiracy minded individual might suggest their own barns. Luckily, I am not conspiracy minded and would never.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

No one ever said only an idiot would buy a horse from her...exactly where are you reading that? It's only being said that at this point in time, (or at least since this thread was started) you might want to do due diligence if you were going to purchase something sight unseen. Makes sense to me.

Just to add to the new vets vs old, I do love that the older vets can draw upon their experience, however, some just are not good at keeping up with the latest research whereas that is where the newbies are starting from. Dr. Kellon's latest newsletter seems to suggest going away from feeding grain to broodmares/babies altogether, for instance...

1 members found this post helpful.