The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 201 of 224 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I have been following this story for a long, long time and am more disgusted than ever. Perhaps the vet's experience helping horses in impoverished areas has given her a skewed view of acceptable practices. Those poor animals. Skinny, pot-bellied, snotty noses, crusty eyes... what did I miss?
    You forgot mud in stallion areas encompasses entire area. Poor Federalist.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Ah. I was wondering if it was this mare:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/porta+westfalica2
    That one's mine, and neither she (nor I) have ever been affiliated with Jill Burnell (thankfully).
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Irony at it's finest. If Mistyblue or any of the other COTH sleuths wants to connect the dots on who the breeder of the foal in this post is, please feel free. This web is so tangled not even a spider could negotiate it!

http://grayfoxfarm.blogspot.com/2012...your-baby.html
    Oh. Em. Gee.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Irony at it's finest. If Mistyblue or any of the other COTH sleuths wants to connect the dots on who the breeder of the foal in this post is, please feel free. This web is so tangled not even a spider could negotiate it!

http://grayfoxfarm.blogspot.com/2012...your-baby.html
    I think on the "Jill stole my horse thread" It was disclosed who the foal belonged too and why the mares name was not listed on its Reg and the actual breeder omitted by Jill.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The most important thing that has come up today is that the local DA is now investigating. So all of you who have been defrauded, scammed, and suffered larceny by trick should get your ducks in a row. Possibly MHS sent the sad stories that it had received to him/her. This could mean she gets shut down completely. If it were I, I'd call and just leave my name and contact information and a statement of willingness to do what I could to help. You could probably leave it with a secretary without speaking to an investigator.

BTW, JB's attorney of record on the vet declaration at least is Robert Weems, not Maggie Weems. I didn't check to see who signed the petition for mandamus.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jan. 18, 2013 at 01:31 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

8 members found this post helpful.

"Another stallion jumped two six foot fences to get to Romantic Star." Wonder which one. I'd like a breeding to him
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Porta is a Trakehner who was listed for sale on Warmbloods for sale on 11/2009 by http://www.castell-trakehner.webs.com/
    She is a 2006 Trakehner mare
    by Leonidas*Pg* out Parousia vom Castell by Avignon II

Quote Originally Posted by Marieke View Post
    That is a pretty sad vet rapport, those horses are not doing well. Perhaps not in immediate danger, this is not a good situation. It won't take much for an atty to turn that into favor of the MHS. Most of it, when explained by an expert, is actually in favor of the MHS.

For one, she notes her observations, but also her 'hear say' without providing That she has verified this information through receipts, purchase orders etc.
    Having been hired by Jill Burnell (and/or Jill's attorney), it would be unlikely that the vet would ask for receipts or any other "proof".

She apparently took Jill at her word, and to paraphrase, advised her that the really skinny ones must need dental care if they were being fed as Jill said.
    And that's all she wrote (so to speak..) Unable to catch some horses and giving them the all clear (because they could run?) does seem odd.

Asking for proof that the horses have been eating properly and aren't thin because of poor dentition would be the job of whomever legally represents the MHS, not the vet hired by Jill Burnell, and at this point in time, the MHS is unlikely to be in a position to do so.

2 members found this post helpful.

The MHS released photos of Devil's Sis, and now her breeder is waiting to take her back to a loving home. I wonder if they will release pictures of the other two mares so that concerned parties could do a little sleuthing and figure out who they are and let their prior connections know where they are. They may want to help or get involved.

I hope Blaze landed somewhere safe if MHS didn't get him out. In the Maine case that I mentioned, the farm owners knew what was coming and made a lot of the worst cases disappear ahead of time. I was told the farm killed them themselves. But who knows, it may be a good idea to check the feedlots out in CA.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Just a another note. I have an F250 with a 6'6" bed. The most hay bales that I've ever been able to haul in it is 24. Bales are hybrid bermuda and each weighed about 60 lbs. So I've personally never been able to haul more than 1500 lbs of hay in my truck. Horses who are not working (and not pregnant) should get 2% of their body weight in high quality hay every day if they are not being supplemented with grain. If one says that the horses probably should average about 1100 pounds each (taking account of the big ones and the babies to arrive at such an average), that means that at 22 lbs per horse one truck load as hauled by my truck would feed 65 and 1/2 horses for one day.

The rules for alfalfa may be less than 2%. I've never relied on alfalfa as anything more than a supplement.

But if you know how much a bale of alfalfa at the normal Northern California price goes for, you can easily figure out that hay for that many horses would put a lot of people in the poorhouse, including me.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

3 members found this post helpful.

I also hope if anyone has any GFF horses in their possession that they pull a JB on JB and don't give them back to her! Seriously, people do it all the time when board is not paid on said horses.

After reading Dr. Ellis's submission - I'm even more frustrated. She accepted the fact that JB claimed to give vaccinations - but never asked for any paperwork on that. With respect to JB's worming program. We would NEVER worm a foal every month. It's toxic for them AND can create resistence to wormers. We only worm 2x a year with Strongid and ivermectin. We do fecals if we have any concerns.
    Regarding the comment on the hay. We currently have 20 horses/foals on our farm and a pick up truck of bales of hay wouldn't even last a week. And our horses are out in grass pastures at least 7 hours a day in the winter. And they all come into stalls and have grain. The Vet writes that broodmares were getting 4 flakes - how the hell are they supposed to exist on that? This Vet must be a complete bone head. I just hope Marin County moves on all the other violations on the property and MHS moves to take all the horses as soon as possible.
    I cringe to think of the last property she was at and how many pathogens are on that land after seeing the photos that started this thread.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    "Another stallion jumped two six foot fences to get to Romantic Star." Wonder which one. I'd like a breeding to him
    I was wondering about this earlier. If the only other stallion on the property was Federalist...does anyone really think a 20 year old in poor condition jumped two 6' fences and had the energy to savage another stallion (who OF COURSE like the others was in perfectly acceptable condition) badly enough to keep him hospitalized for weeks? That's IF he were the only other stallion at the time. And if there was a fight at all.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    I was wondering about this earlier. If the only other stallion on the property was Federalist...does anyone really think a 20 year old in poor condition jumped two 6' fences and had the energy to savage another stallion (who OF COURSE like the others was in perfectly acceptable condition) badly enough to keep him hospitalized for weeks? That's IF he were the only other stallion at the time. And if there was a fight at all.
    Not sure if it's ever been confirmed but have heard it was Aloha who attacked RS. The vet who did the eval came after that date so assuming stallions left after the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by horsenut93136 View Post
    Not sure if it's ever been confirmed but have heard it was Aloha who attacked RS. The vet who did the eval came after that date so assuming stallions left after the fight.
    Not that I believe the entirety of the fight story i.e timeline etc this photo of her place shows one of the stallions pens and who knows who was inhabiting it but it is cleary in bad shape with bent and broken pipes etc

I believe that is Aloha next door perhaps he did not jump anything who knows if the wires in his pen were hot he could have busted through them and gotten to RS in a similar manner.

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/userfi...ll_Page_04.jpg

FWIW, if I fed 4 flakes of alfalfa to any of my horses they would be extremely obese! Many barns start at 1 flake of alfalfa am and 1 pm though they mainly have Arabs and QH. I only feed 1 flake of alfalfa and 3 flakes of orchard or Timothy per day and all mine are admittedly on the fat side. You have to consider we have MUCH bigger bale and flake sizes than what is standard back east. Currently, around here, a bale of alfalfa is just under $20, while Timothy or orchard are $24 - $25 per bale.

But, not sure if science has proven otherwise, but while I was raising youngsters an all alfalfa diet was a big no-no.

Lastly, if a vet is using the BCS scale and rating a number based on the exact description of what warrants a given number... But in her opinion still personally would use the adjective "thin" isn't so crazy to me. Just as one person's description of a horse who looks good would be considered obese by another. And the last picture we saw of Redwine a few months ago, he was quite the fatty while the other stallion was slightly ribby.

The issue with the alfalfa is that it is high in calcium. We don't feed it at all. But given the comments about the size of flakes etc. It still doesn't matter if the horses are NOT getting proper grazing and grain and they are clearly not. The bales out on the ground are not protected against weather and several people have commented about wet weather conditions - so that hay on the ground must be a mess. I say a prayer for JB'S horses every day when I look at mine and they are fit and in good weight, get good turn out and proper vaccinations, etc. Especially the mares in foal.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRoseFarm View Post
    I am sickened by this whole debaucle. I refrain from posting at COTH most of the time because it is such a train wreck and everything said is taken as having an underlying current.

I am the breeder ( my mother's name is on the papers) of the mare Diamonette, whom was sold as a 5 year old. Attached to her papers when I sold her at age 5 was a request to be contacted should she ever deem unsound as a competition horse and a home needed.
    I did manage to track her somewhat through her USEF show records, but later lost track of her until she came into possession of the breeder Irish Hills Farm, who then sold her to Jill at age 16, despite her promise never to sell her and to return her to me when retired. Many of our past daughters became broodmares at some point in life, and I have tried to help rehome some of those, I guess they have all been lucky to get great homes.

While I hope all of these horses land softly, I am sick with worry and hope that , at 20 years old, Diamonette can come home to retire if she does not quickly find a totally ideal situation.

I sincerely hope that whoever ends up with her, or any of the mares, let the previous breeders ( or owners) know that they are in caring hands once again.
    Since your first post on this thread, this story has haunted me. If you can find a way to get her, I can help "underground railroad" her through Colorado, on her way back to you.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Having been hired by Jill Burnell (and/or Jill's attorney), it would be unlikely that the vet would ask for receipts or any other "proof".

She apparently took Jill at her word, and to paraphrase, advised her that the really skinny ones must need dental care if they were being fed as Jill said.
    And that's all she wrote (so to speak..) Unable to catch some horses and giving them the all clear (because they could run?) does seem odd.

Asking for proof that the horses have been eating properly and aren't thin because of poor dentition would be the job of whomever legally represents the MHS, not the vet hired by Jill Burnell, and at this point in time, the MHS is unlikely to be in a position to do so.
    Not unless her reputation as an expert witness is important to her.

The MHS can subpoena her records and bills in discovery.

Originally Posted by DownYonder
    FWIW, someone just pointed out to me that Dr. Ellis just received her DVM in 2010. I am thinking it may be far easier for someone like JillB to blow smoke up the a** of a fairly recent grad then a vet with many years experience.

And in reading through her report, I am struck by how many horses she noted as in serious need of dental work. Really makes me wonder if JillB used the poor dental condition of those horses as an excuse for their poor body condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Well that may well be. But in the end the owner of a horse or horses should not be excused for "ignorance" of all their care. What...blame the dentist of lack of one. Geesh. Do you blame no feed because the hay or grain wasn't delivered on time? That is a victim state of mind, and often you can see this with people who have no more money.

Very clever defense, but ignorance or creating a defense of ignorance doesn't cut it. Not with someone so "experienced' with horses and breeding that was the CV that was out there and is being expounded upon by her own court papers.

Clearly she thinks she knows better than anyone else. And that IS a bug that plagues horse people.

In this case the ego will hopefully fail. It is what it is. Even a non horse person can see that. Power and facade gone wild, with the scoring on the USET for the unsuspecting to buy hook line and sinker.

In that defense, they look at the horses they see in front of them as they should. The horse nor the owner that was "able" to get that progeny should be punished from where that horse came.

But these offenses, terrible offenses, in the horse world should be announced before things like this go on and on and on.
    Let's be clear here. I am in NO WAY condoning JillB. I think she is one seriously f***** up chick - not only because of the way she "cares" for her horses and dogs and PARENTS (let's not forget her elderly parents, who lived in that rat hole of a house on the former property - thank God they are out of there), but also because of her utter lack of regard for honesty, good ethics, good business practices, etc. (And also not excusing her husband, who has been her partner in crime in all this.)

But I can certainly envision a scenario like this:
    Vet: This horse is thin. Her teeth really need some work.
    JillB: Hmm, I put a lot of hay in that horse's pasture. I guess she just can't chew as well as the others. I will get someone out to do some dental work, then she will be okay.

Vet: This horse is also thin, and her teeth are not in good shape.
    Jill B: Really? I had everyone done last year. But then, I wasn't really happy with that dentist's work and am planning to use someone else this year.

Vet: This horse is too thin, and her teeth are terrible.
    Jill B: I just got that one not too long ago. I will put her on the list for the dentist.

And so it goes. (Don't forget, she is a master at blowing smoke.)

But let us not be under any illusion here. JillB won't go to jail for her neglect/abuse of the animals. It will be the CRIMINAL ACTIVITY (theft, fraud, etc.) that will put her in jail, but that means her victims have to pursue the cases legally. I hope there are enough of them out there who are angry enough to go after her and not just walk away because it is too much trouble.

13 members found this post helpful.