The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 193 of 224 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 4466

Dressage Diva, great post!!! You don't need to explain anything to anyone but well written.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    I was not going to get sucked into this, but I'm not going to stand by and watch my mother's reputation get slammed. RUMORS NEED TO STOP. STICK WITH THE FACTS. I am not, nor would I EVER, defend Jill Burnell.

So here it goes...

Yes, Cheryl Ellis is my mom.

My mother was hired to do a welfare check on the remaining horses on the property. The seized horses were already taken, she never saw them. She was there for ONE DAY to evaluate the horses. The information is confidential, I do NOT know what was said about them. So to clarify, Dr. Cheryl Ellis is not, never has been, never will be, Jill Burnell's vet. She was not hired by Burnell, but rather by the lawyer involved.

I have had my own (not pleasant) dealings with Jill Burnell. That has nothing to do with my mother, or her evaluations of the animals. She was hired to evaluate the animals on the property that day, not Burnell's business practices or the already seized animals.
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Skydy, at one point in time, the Sporthorse Breeding Forum wasCOMPLETELY SHUT DOWN by COTH because they had surpassed a level of nastiness that couldn't be tolerated. It was touch and go for awhile whether it would be reopened. it eventually was, but with very strict reprimands to the troublemakers. If I had to guess, I would bet it also holds the record for banned posters. It has never been unicorns and rainbows here! Very good info to be found, but you must know who you are listening to...
    Well thanks for the heads up. I haven't been following the forum long enough to remember that. I guess you all, to some extent, have learned to straighten up and fly right?

I hope that the people who were very suspicious of everything about the siezure of these horses and suspicious of everyone who has tried to help, have seen the horrific photo of the mare and that they will now either help, or be quiet (or continue to speculate, but without accusing the people who are trying to help of having alterior motives, or the MHS of greed) until the details of this mess are made public.
    Last edited by skydy; Jan. 17, 2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Reining in the random commas (again).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Dated January 9:

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/c...ues-arise.aspx

"Burnell may also need a new place to live. Marin County’s code enforcement department notified her this week that she has 10 days to respond to a notice regarding her property’s code violations. The letter states that living in a trailer on the land and the storage of junk are violations of Marin County Codes Section(s) 22.08.030 and 7.52.020.

In order to correct the violations, a code enforcement official says the junk and camper trailer Burnell and her husband are currently living in must go. To make the property suitable for living, the housing, septic, and water must be approved. The property does have a source of running water, which is being investigated, since water isn't approved according to the official. If they don’t correct the violations, they could be fined $5000 a day plus costs."
    So is that 10 straight days, ie tomorrow, or ten business days, which would be the 22nd? Either way, whatever the outcome of that is, I would imagine it would have a large bearing on what care and outcome there is for the horses on the property. If there's no water on the property, surely the horses cannot stay there either.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was not going to get sucked into this, but I'm not going to stand by and watch my mother's reputation get slammed. RUMORS NEED TO STOP. STICK WITH THE FACTS. I am not, nor would I EVER, defend Jill Burnell.

So here it goes...

My mother was hired to do a welfare check on the remaining horses on the property. The seized horses were already taken, she never saw them. She was there for ONE DAY to evaluate the horses. The information is confidential, I do NOT know what was said about them. So to clarify, Dr. Cheryl Ellis is not, never has been, never will be, Jill Burnell's vet. She was not hired by Burnell, but rather by the lawyer involved.

I have had my own (not pleasant) dealings with Jill Burnell. That has nothing to do with my mother, or her evaluations of the animals. She was hired to evaluate the animals on the property that day, not Burnell's business practices or the already seized animals.
    That's sort of good news Dressage Diva, as far as your Mom is concerned, and I'm glad you spoke up. There will be a lot of dust to settle in the long days to come.

I am just amazed (horrified, actually) that so many are STILL believing what JB is saying, if even through her attorney. I mean, let's think about this a moment:

The woman is a pathological liar who is well known to weave words and stories into pretty pictures that aren't real. She is well known to smear anyone and everyone who may have a stallion, breeding operation, or any unkind thoughts about her stock. She has open judgements against her. She is well known to stiff others on breedings, certificates, horses, money...you name it! No shipper, vet, farrier will go to her property because she's so belligerent and refuses to pay. She uses other people's horses, some of which have never been anywhere near GFF, as advertisement and sales (in utero foals that never existed)....

WHY would anyone automatically believe her or Weems when they say Cheryl Ellis is her vet? Or that she evaluated the seized animals and said they were perfectly fine and healthy?

DressageDiva333, I hate that you had to come and defend your mom. A few of us didn't believe for one moment that she actually worked for Jill, but it's a shame she was smeared so badly. I am sorry.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by genevieveg17 View Post
    Great detective work Sherlock. You discovered info that nobody was trying to hide. Wanna cookie?
    Yes, I had Abby for a couple months. I bought her from a racing barn when she slab fractured her knee(2004 or 05). She is a lovely mare. I have already visited her at MHS and gave her a bunch of carrots. When this is all over, I am confident she will have a loving home where she will be pampered.
    What is with the vitriol ? I don't think it is at all called for because someone posted the mares history.

If there is anger to be had yours is certainly displaced.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    What is with the vitriol ? I don't think it is at all called for because someone posted the mares history.

If there is anger to be had yours is certainly displaced.
    Wouldn't YOU be angry if someone posted your name with the accusation that you were still doing business with JB? I sure as hades would be!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Wouldn't YOU be angry if someone posted your name with the accusation that you were still doing business with JB? I sure as hades would be!
    I'd be angry but I do think considering the circumstances I'd be more interested in making the separation clear.

I don't think anyone blames or believes Glen Hill is associated currently , but it is natural to wonder if prior owners are aware or interested.

I agree it's natural. I just don't blame her for being angry since the way that lost was worded came across as accusatory. It did to me, anyway...and I think it's fair to say Genevieve took it that way, too. ESPECIALLY since so many others with shining reputations have been questioned throughout this thread.

It's an interesting phenomenon, really.

No snark meant earlier, we just saw things differently.

No I agree and after going back and reading I appreciate that it could be taken a myriad of ways.

I try to give the benefit of the doubt and "believe" that even when there appears to be a moment of McCarthyism ;considering the depth of atrocities that Jill Burrnell has cast upon others; even just the reading community, their wounds are raw and perhaps to the breaking point. I should have afforded Genevieve the same as pinhurst

There is true disbelief in what has happened and continued to happen for years and pure feelings of malaise that people have been willing accomplices to this.

So here it goes...

It is unfortunate, and understandable that you feel the need to defend your Mom. She is certainly only doing the job she was hired to do and I don't doubt for a moment that she is competent in her profession. U Davis is a very well thought of vet program. The heat that she will be dealing with, from many horse people, is that she was engaged to give her opinion regarding the remaining horses, by Jill Burnell's attorney , who IS acting on Jill Burnell's behalf.

I understand that your Mom is working in a professional capacity and is thus expected to be impartial and rightly expects to be held so. MANY people do not understand this. I know nothing about your Mom, or you, or your relationships good, bad, or non-existent, with Jill Burnell.
    That being said, probably not the best PR move by a vet to be paid by JB's attorney in this case.

If your Mom is routinely called in (as she may well be, due to her excellent credentials), by attorneys on either side, to consult on abuse cases ,then she would have no reason not to take one on, and give her professional opinion without considering the PR angle.
    Don't worry...

ETA; It is unfortunate that RMHP did not make clear the circumstances of your mom's involvement as you describe it.
    Last edited by skydy; Jan. 17, 2013 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Punctuation.

5 members found this post helpful.

Indeed, this photo caused me to "snap" so to speak, and I'm sure it will cause others to do so as well: http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/h...warranted.aspx. There are no rationalizations for the condition of this mare, and no forgiveness for the person(s) who neglected her care and/ or stood by and allowed this to happen; no forgiveness for the people who continue to support or enabled Jill Burnell once the truth about her became evident. If people are angry, no one should be surprised; this is disgusting beyond words.

So here it goes...

Thank you for posting. Unfortunately, due to her prior connection to JB through you, I really feel your mom made a very poor decision agreeing to take this on. To me it is a conflict of interest. If JB's lawyer wanted to provide the best case possible, she would have chosen a vet who had no prior ties to either JB or the lawyer herself. That's just my $.02

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Dr. Cheryl Ellis received both her Bachelor’s degree and DVM degree from the University of California at Davis, CA. Her professional interests include emergency stabilization and care of the equine patient, equine technical rescue and disaster preparedness and response involving equines. She is the California Veterinary Medical Association’s Disaster Coordinator for El Dorado County. Dr. Ellis also enjoys traveling to Central and South America as a member of HSVMA-FS (Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association – Field Service Division) where she volunteers her time helping care for horses in impoverished areas. Her personal interests include riding her endurance mules and helping her daughter with her Sport Pony breeding program.
    Wait wait wait. Let's not jump to conclusions. This and the statement doesn't mean the vet APPROVES of her horse keeping skills.

For all we know, the vet will come and say; yes, the horses are malnourished, but that Jill understands what needs to be done and is working towards it.

Hardly the same as saying "all is well, nothing to see here".

Innocent until proven guilty. And her lawyer is quite the creative sort.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

So here it goes...

Oops, I posted before reading your post.

Good for you DressageDiva and well done standing up for you mom.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    Wait wait wait. Let's not jump to conclusions. This and the statement doesn't mean the vet APPROVES of her horse keeping skills.

For all we know, the vet will come and say; yes, the horses are malnourished, but that Jill understands what needs to be done and is working towards it.

Hardly the same as saying "all is well, nothing to see here".

Innocent until proven guilty. And her lawyer is quite the creative sort.
    Your right the lawyer seems to be as questionable as Jill. Is there ANY chance she purposefully picked Mrs.Ellis because of her daughters past negative history with Jill. Perhaps giving herself that (corruptible or coerced ) angle to work should the statement not be in Jills favor?

I know tin foil hat on. I believe Dr. Ellis is on the up and up just don't trust those two not to be cooking up some ploy.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Seriously, there is no limit to the other names that posters will drag through the mud in the absence of actual facts or knowledge?

JB's actions stand - and will be judged - on their own merit, but the posters who have drug other people into this thread and vilified their reputations and actions with little to no knowledge of the actual facts ... you might think your motives are good. You might think you are being responsible. You might think JB is the only delusional one in the bunch and you might be wrong. Looking at that poor horse isn't the only sickening thing.

As a side note on the 10 days county issue - JB has 10 days to respond. If Marin moves at the speed of every other county in the country, that is when the process to evict/prosecute/fine etc. formally begins (either to evaluate teh correction or the staged process of dealing with the violation, inlcuding appeal opportunities). It will greatly affect the outcome of the case, but not in 10 days.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    I agree it's natural. I just don't blame her for being angry since the way that lost was worded came across as accusatory. It did to me, anyway...and I think it's fair to say Genevieve took it that way, too. ESPECIALLY since so many others with shining reputations have been questioned throughout this thread.

It's an interesting phenomenon, really.

No snark meant earlier, we just saw things differently.
    I've have had only one interaction with Genevieve, on a thread about a pregnant mare. I asked "What did the vet say?" because I had a mare in a similar situation and IIRC her response was way over the top, extremely defensive. And also IIRC she had supporters justifying her very defensive response. Funny, I had forgotten about it till now.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

A lawyer's job is to represent their client and try to get charges made against them cleared. That's the job they signed on for.

Lawyers represent alll sorts of horrible, evil people, also people who are accused of horrible things but who are sick, not evil, also people accused of horrible actions who have not actually done any such thing**.

That Is Their Job.

Like it or don't, but just because a lawyer represents someone accused of child rape does not mean that they themselves approve of child rape, or will bring children to that rapist's house and leave them there unsupervised just to get free babysitting.

**and no, I am not putting JB in this category.

5 members found this post helpful.