The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 188 of 224 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,760 of 4466
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Callmeacab View Post
    Before berating the place, how about getting as much information as possible (this means, if you're such a sceptic, ask an equine lawyer, call the MHS and ask what their facilities can do); get REAL facts, not just speculations on an internet forum. Otherwise, to me, it sounds as though you're trying to deflate the positive energy going toward raising money to help pay for this mess.
    Just my opinion.
    It is your opinion so of course you are entitled to it My opinion is that eating raw tomatoes is gross. Both are just opinions, but since we aren't discussing tomatoes and MHS is not being "berated", maybe not entirely relevant? Still, it's good advice. Should someone decide to start berating them, this is good advice. Facts and not speculation/schaudenfraude is probably a better life choice.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Callmeacab View Post
    I think some of you mistake how things work. Rescues do not have the authority to sieze horses, nor do they have the power to go after people (at least not here in CA). They're in the business of caring for horses. State, Federal, and Local Agencies do the siezing, follow through with court action, and follow the laws that are written.

Otherwise, to me, it sounds as though you're trying to deflate the positive energy going toward raising money to help pay for this mess.
    Just my opinion.
    Rescues and local humane societies (like Marin, like Days End) can have contracts with local governments to perform animal control functions, such as seizures and cruelty investigations. You are mistaken about what other posters are mistaken about.

You can call it "deflating positive energy", others can call it "wondering where the donations are going."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lame View Post
    No auction for you, Days End!
    What does that mean? People were prevented from organizing a fundraiser for Days End? Or are you just distressed you didn't think of it first as a means to help out Day's End in the case of their seizure?

Stallion service auctions to benefit a cause have been around for over 30 years. That kind of fundraising method was conceived and pioneered by Herb Moelis in the mid-80's for the TRF (Thoroughbred Retirement Fund). Now run under the auspices of TCA (Thoroughbred Charities of America). Here is a wonderful, thoughtful article by Herb from a few years ago on the subject and on obligation.
    http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/final...rb-moelis.aspx
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

2 members found this post helpful.

There were quite a few fundraisers for Days End to help with the Arabian Seizure (and of course all of the other horses).

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    Why isn't enough that several sources have cited that the horses were in inhumane conditions, suffered malnutrition, serious neglect and injuries and thus seized? This is enough information. Trust the parties actually involved in this. At some point there may be photos or more information released. Right now the horses are in good hands.
    Maybe because we saw fat horses in videos and pictures being removed from Pintopiaffe's property.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

8 members found this post helpful.

Have to say I think it is great that so many people in the sport horse world are stepping in to help the horses and the people caught up in the JillB/GFF fiasco, but I am just as concerned about the emaciated Morgan horses seized recently in PA in a really horrific case of neglect. I believe those horses are being fostered by a draft horse rescue - who is also in serious need of donations to help care for those animals. Maybe everyone can throw a few $$$ in that direction, too.

12 members found this post helpful.

Well, there you go. Statement released today. by MHS
    RS has "injuries", no specifics and is at UC Davis Medical Teaching Hospital.
    Broodmare 1 is at MHS for treatment. *which is weird since they call out how emaciated she is, not sure why she wouldn't go to a clinic?*
    Broodmare 3 & 4 at UC Davis Clinic for rehabilitative care (feeding presumably since they are "nearly" emaciated).

Oh yes and 7K in costs, not over 10. And if you subtract the stallion costs (although I'm still not sure how that will play out and whom is responsible) presumably much less than 7K.
    Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ranchopampa or our website at www.ranchopampa.com

Say it ain't so??? The 'facts' may have been wrong?

Who could have seen that coming?
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nycjumper View Post
    RS has "injuries", no specifics and is at UC Davis Medical Teaching Hospital.
    Broodmare 1 is at MHS for treatment. *which is weird since they call out how emaciated she is, not sure why she wouldn't go to a clinic?*
    Broodmare 3 & 4 at UC Davis Clinic for rehabilitative care (feeding presumably since they are "nearly" emaciated).

Oh yes and 7K in costs, not over 10. And if you subtract the stallion costs (although I'm still not sure how that will play out and whom is responsible) presumably much less than 7K.
    Where is Broodmare 2?

There are just 3--Pookie (the one at MHS) Nutsie and Blackie. #2 horse would be the stallion.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

She sure didn't make it easy on them by giving fake names. Asshat. Pookie is Devil's Sis, wonder who Blackie is? Nutsie has to be Jill herself right?

12 members found this post helpful.

Why not give the link to the press release for everyone to read it instead of a couple of paragraphs?
    https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...yG9LGIRMuGhK3G

Quote Originally Posted by nycjumper View Post
    RS has "injuries", no specifics and is at UC Davis Medical Teaching Hospital...
    I'm just going to respond to this part of your post. You say RS has "injuries", no specifics.

One person's injury might be a bowed tendon or a simple laceration. Below I will quote directly from the MHS press release (only quoting the two sentences concerning RS).

"A badly wounded stallion known as “Romantic Star” was seized as a result of untreated serious injuries and taken to the University of California at Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital for treatment."

As for the stallion, even a week later his open wounds and painful condition were plain evidence of great trauma."

Open wounds, painful condition showing evidence of great trauma - that is not specific enough for you?

If I mistook what you wrote, my apologies. But neither MHS or UC Davis (or anyone, for that matter) should release exact specifics in a legal case. Let's not forget that anything released or published could potentially be used by the defense.

Where is the humane society required to release ANY information on specific cases to the general public? Much less pictures and medical updates? Just because everyone here wants it to be so, I doubt they are required to do so. And as far as money being donated? That is all entirely voluntary, so no guarantees there, either. No reason to believe funds won't go where they are supposed to. But unless someone involved chooses to share that information, this BB will remain in the dark, I suspect.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Maybe because we saw fat horses in videos and pictures being removed from Pintopiaffe's property.
    Can someone remind me about the pintopiaffe saga? Or link me to the thread? I remember the poster but can't quite remember what happened. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    She sure didn't make it easy on them by giving fake names. Asshat. Pookie is Devil's Sis, wonder who Blackie is? Nutsie has to be Jill herself right?
    Perhaps UCD should DNA test them while they are there. I too noted the fake or barn names. How many black mares are in her broodmare band?

I'm just happy that the horses are getting help. UC Davis is WONDERFUL. They are my regular vets and they go above and beyond to take care of the animals in their care.
    Cloverfox Stables

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post
    I'm just going to respond to this part of your post. You say RS has "injuries", no specifics.

One person's injury might be a bowed tendon or a simple laceration. Below I will quote directly from the MHS press release (only quoting the two sentences concerning RS).

"A badly wounded stallion known as “Romantic Star” was seized as a result of untreated serious injuries and taken to the University of California at Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital for treatment."

As for the stallion, even a week later his open wounds and painful condition were plain evidence of great trauma."

Open wounds, painful condition showing evidence of great trauma - that is not specific enough for you?

If I mistook what you wrote, my apologies. But neither MHS or UC Davis (or anyone, for that matter) should release exact specifics in a legal case. Let's not forget that anything released or published could potentially be used by the defense.

That bolded part was said by a lawyer, and I expect hyperbole from them. Not saying that there aren't injuries and whatnot, and also not saying that they should be left w/ Jill, just that without pictures I'm pretty skeptical of most things in print these days.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    You asked how she was able to keep on as long as she has. I answered it is because not enough people with legitimate, documentable cases have pursued them. You will need to contact a lawyer in Canada, preferably with equine experience, but not mandatory, and find out how to proceed. Each state down here has different laws/procedures, so what you have to do coming from Canada, you will have to research.

No she doesn't have to contact a lawyer. All she needs to do is to call the County Clerks office in Marin County and explain that she wants to file a civil suit in Small Claims Court, and to ask what forms she needs and what other documentation she should attach to it. (She might well need an affidavit and/or a notarized signature -- that kind of thig). Obviously copies of her bills will be attached to the complaint as Exhibits.

The County Clerk's office is very helpful if you have your shit together and ask intelligent questions which they are able to answer. The only time I have seen them get testy are when a layperson expects them to do the work for him/her. (Or when an attorney, who knows better, tries to file a pleading late and comes up with some hokey, off the wall excuse why he could not have filed on time. ---- Then the clerks start acting like the DMV Nazis. )
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

So ... do we know what Jill's excuse is yet? Just curious how she's going about trying to justify her actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempi.Change View Post
    So ... do we know what Jill's excuse is yet? Just curious how she's going about trying to justify her actions.
    She will blame it on others as she usually does.

The press release updated the picture they were using and that looks like Devil's Sis (head shot only).

GFF website photos

http://grayfoxfarms.com/images/devilsisnew.jpg

http://grayfoxfarms.com/images/devilsisnew3.jpg

http://grayfoxfarms.com/images/devilsisnew2.jpg

MHS photo

https://www.kintera.org/atf/cf/%7B1C...in%20Horse.jpg

https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...yG9LGIRMuGhK3G