The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 177 of 224 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 4466

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I have been loosely following this saga, but I saw that Rising Star Farm had recently gotten a health cert for Romantic Star to be shipped, so his body condition must have been deemed suitable for the travel.
    Not at all ethical but I have seen vets do Health Certs without ever taking off a horses blanket , taking a temp or doing an exam.

There are a myriad of ways a horse in poor condition could have still acquired a heath cert to travel. We also do not know the story that was spun to the official who examined the horse. Skinny unwell horses are shipped across the country all the time.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Good lord, an entire page stating the articles have been changed. Did anybody actually go back to those articles and check before posting it on COTH? Show me in the two articles below where the information has been corrected?

Please, donate to the auction or to Marin Humane Society if you are interested in helping!
    No need to be snarky. Yes, I did in fact go back and read them. Maybe you're the one who needs to read for comprehension. Just because an attorney says they are representing someone does not make it true (and just because it's posted by RMHP doesn't make it true either). More sources than not have been corrected to indicate the attorney isn't representing Rising Star. Curious as to what your interest is so vested in here...

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    No need to be snarky. Yes, I did in fact go back and read them. Maybe you're the one who needs to read for comprehension. Just because an attorney says they are representing someone does not make it true (and just because it's posted by RMHP doesn't make it true either). More sources than not have been corrected to indicate the attorney isn't representing Rising Star. Curious as to what your interest is so vested in here...
    Because I would like to see people helping out and donating and making sure the horses are looked after. Plan and simple.

Marin Humane Society Fundraiser:
    http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html

Marin Humane Society Donations:
    https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...0J9MULlIXKjOaF
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    Thank you for mentioning the fundraising. Please spread the word in your local horse community. If we all pitch a little, we can make all the difference. Its the soon-to-foal mares that need the safety net we can provide. Marin is watching - and we can support them.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...Humane-Society

If anyone has a few extra dollars, COTHers have been asked by the Harrisburg Humane Society to help the 26 Morgans seized, which is outstripping the HHS capacity for funds. Not to divert, but the situation is very serious and the first news report is now out.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ghlight=morgan

Waiting for real news on the Marin situation is difficult - but the power of COTHers to make right is awesome. We have that to work with. Who doesn't love COTH magic?
    Bump
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Because I would like to see people helping out and donating and making sure the horses are looked after. Plan and simple.
    I don't understand why that has anything to do with correcting factual information on the situation. You have plenty of posts and threads about your auction...Don't know how anyone could've missed them or my posting a correction is mutually exclusive or diversionary.

GFF's website still lists Romantic Star as a standing stallion, and his ad on warmbloods.com is still active (on sale!). Also, a google search of Romantic Star Stallion shows no hits that he has been seized or changed hands, so there could be some confusion in interested parties if they don't know what has happened to him.
    Last edited by Tommy's Girl; Jan. 12, 2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    I don't understand why that has anything to do with correcting factual information on the situation. You have plenty of posts and threads about your auction...Don't know how anyone could've missed them or my posting a correction is mutually exclusive or diversionary.
    dazedandconfused, you may be. I read all those articles days ago. Now I'm not saying my memory is faultless, but I don't recall COTH ever mentioning that Weems represented the new stallion owner. It might have. Nor would that be pertinent in an article on the mandamus petition or the January 7th article that did not mention that RS had been sold.

Usually when an article in a reputable news publication is corrected, there will be a notation that it HAS been corrected and what the correction was. None of the articles has that notation.

This is why I hate internet journalism--it's too ephemeral to be trusted. " Facts" can change without notice and no one is ever the wiser.

The two that clearly stated that Weems was involved with the new RS owner have not "corrected" themselves.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Cartier View Post
    What I see in most of these posts is that people care a great deal about this mess, they feel they were helpless to prevent it… they want to help if possible and they want it all exposed to “the bright cleansing light of day,” so that we can see what happened, what went wrong and prevent this from happening again. With very few exceptions, I do not see malice… rather, I see genuine concern, being expressed different ways, by different people. I think one thing we can all take away from this is that it is probably not a good idea for one person to collect large numbers of horses, because it’s easy to get in over your head, fast. That one thing, in and of itself, should raise interest or concern.
    Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyponyponi View Post
    Dr. Cheryl Ellis, Foothill Mobile Veterinary Service 3281 Luneman Road, Placerville, CA 95667 - 530-622-0174.
    Given the sheer distance between her practice and JB's farm (roughly 150 miles through heavier trafficked areas), I HIGHLY doubt this is JB's vet. I think JillyB is lying again.
    It is not very common for vets here to travel such large distances to clients unless we are talking very high end clients which JB is not. Perhaps in other parts of the country it is, but not here.

I was sent a PM earlier which said in part that she has also been denied service at UC Davis (closest hospital) in the past, so it is no wonder they were "still trying to figure out what to do" 24 hours after RS was injured.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted River View Post
    Editing out almost all of my post. A Cother pointed out it may be construed as tortious interference. I'm thinking my post is one of many that could be considered that, but I'm happy to oblige and do what is in my power to help and not hurt a cause I'm concerned about.

Here's what I'm not editing out:

... The best way to help is by being there for the fallout. Donating to the humane society, fostering horses, spreading the word for others to donate and foster. Donate to Marin. If you live in the area and can, foster horses. If you live in the area and can't foster a horse, free up some Marin resources and adopt or foster and dog or cat. When this whole ordeal is wrapping up, if it's needed, adopt the horses. ...
    And if there are not enough LONG term foster homes near Marin, there are plent of us hear in the East and around the country who I suspect could foster. I for one have room, and of course, plenty of foaling out and neonate care experience. Clearly this would not be good for late term mares. But for the cost of shipping, some could find good foster care out of state. Though I don't know if Marin would agree to foster out of state. Perhaps, with affiliated rescues doing the screening for foster homes out of state that could happen. And some concerned shipping company would haul a few of them across the country as their "donation". Just thinking.

Marin will not foster out of state.

SID - you bring up so many good points.

Anyone have ties with Nor CA professionals who may be able to offer foster help - especially those experienced in handling broodmares and foals? I am sure Marin HS would love to have offers should the need arise. And starting to gather the information NOW in one list to provide Marin would be very helpful.

Can you reach out to our friends and colleagues in CA? Humane Societies typically rely on separate horse organization to provide care for horses - MHS may be in a similar situation.

Any takers to organize and contact potential CA fosters for this MHS case? Marin Horse Council may be a good place to start - their members may be very helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe they already have some names, but those that want to offer should contact Cindy Machado, at MHS.

Thanks, Justa Bob. You rock. I don't know anyone in CA, unfortunately. Boo. If I did, I surely would.

I'm so worried about the PG mares. I love the "girlies", such special creatures. I hope they do not fall through the cracks because this thread seems to wind back to concern for the stallions by so many and their breeding futures.

What about the girls and the babies who so often play 2nd fiddle to the concerns by too many? Because these stallions are well known and admired by so many, with Marin involved they will hopefully recover land softly, testicles or not (frankly that should be the last concern right now).

Egad.

5 members found this post helpful.

"I think one thing we can all take away from this is that it is probably not a good idea for one person to collect large numbers of horses, because it’s easy to get in over your head, fast. That one thing, in and of itself, should raise interest or concern."

i agree this is a red flag -- there are breeders that list on their website all their mares and foals -- foals from prior years (now unsold weanlings, yearlngs etc.?) Count the number of horses some one has and figure whether they have the means to feed them (like a multi-million trust fund?)--it is pure math. And note whether they ever refer to employees that help them muck out the 30 or so mares they own .....or not if are they just turned out and foaling in the field?)

I truly wish I lived in the area, I would do everything I could to help any of the horses there, big or small, male or female.

unfortunately, donating what little I can is all I CAN do.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    "I think one thing we can all take away from this is that it is probably not a good idea for one person to collect large numbers of horses, because it’s easy to get in over your head, fast. That one thing, in and of itself, should raise interest or concern."

i agree this is a red flag -- there are breeders that list on their website all their mares and foals -- foals from prior years (now unsold weanlings, yearlngs etc.?) Count the number of horses some one has and figure whether they have the means to feed them (like a multi-million trust fund?)--it is pure math. And note whether they ever refer to employees that help them muck out the 30 or so mares they own .....or not if are they just turned out and foaling in the field?)
    While I agree there are red flags, still there are many people and businesses that CAN house and care for this number of horses appropriately (well financed from other endeavors to afford it.) That said, I don't know of many websites that mention the number of employees they have.

Can't paint people who have a lot of horses with such a broad brush, really.

4 members found this post helpful.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

It is impossible on this forum to offer any criticism without an offended party shouting foul. Particularly if it applies to a stallion!
    DY for what it's worth, I agree with you at this point in time. I stress at this point in time. However whatever one's opinion, there are several popular hunter "breeding" sucess story stallions who could fall in the "limited scope" dept but breeders need to sell babies and "scope" takes a while to reveal!
    The general angst re JB does have a faint odor of collective guilt being expunged! As several Posters have pointed out...this ONE cause of gross and extended malfeasance has garnered much more attention than seizure of Morgans or TBs starving in other parts of the country! There is thus that smack of opportunity for others creeping into this debacle! May all her horses land safely. May uncared for horses everywhere land safely!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Callmeacab View Post
    I believe they already have some names, but those that want to offer should contact Cindy Machado, at MHS.
    Ok - I will contact Cindy and find out what MHS projected needs are and what kind of foster assistance would be required. That is the place to start.

Thanks SID for the idea. I am with you - it's lack of shelter and the PG mares that is so worrying. Legal wheels may take forever, but those babies are coming regardless of any wheels o justice process.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    The general angst re JB does have a faint odor of collective guilt being expunged! As several Posters have pointed out...this ONE cause of gross and extended malfeasance has garnered much more attention than seizure of Morgans or TBs starving in other parts of the country! May uncared for horses everywhere land safely!
    Exactly, horses don't know how "famous" their owners are or how "famous" their sires are. This kind of thing happens all the time as we've seen. But at LEAST this gal had a big enough "name" to sic the industry that she supposedly served and connned on her.

We can all do better and stand up in all cases like this...not just the big name that is more intriguing.